Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 06:24 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

I talked to CCCYou last week and asked him if he would be interested in having a one-on-one discussion with me on our respective beliefs. CCCYou is a Roman Catholic and I am a Latter-day Saint. He has graciously accepted my invitation.

Neither of us is interested in proving the other one wrong. Neither of us enjoys contentious debates. Both of us are interested in learning about the beliefs of each other and would prefer to ask our questions of someone who actually practices the faith being discussed. I realize that the rules of this forum prohibit me from telling anyone that they can't put in their two-cents worth, but I'm hoping that all of you will simply honor my request that CCCYou and I be able to talk without interruption. I'm also hoping that the moderators are okay with my request. Michael Way and I had a similar one-on-one discussion about five years ago and it went well. I'm hoping that CCCYou and I will be able to cover a few more topics than Mike and I did.

I would like to start by suggesting that we take just one topic at a time and explore it at comprehensively as we can in a dozen posts (6 posts from each of us). I think we can probably get our points across in that number of posts and move on to another topic at the conclusion of 12 posts. I would hope that we could respectfully be able to ask questions of one another, and even challenge one another. I have learned over years and years of posting here and on another forum that it is entirely possible for two people to disagree without either of them being disrespectful or insulting, and I feel that I've gotten to know CCCYou well enough over the past few months, that I don't have to worry about how he will conduct himself in this discussion. I will also commit to do my best to always remain civil and respectful. I genuinely want to learn about Catholicism from a practicing Catholic and am looking forward to this experience.

I suggested to CCCYou that we start by having a discussion on the nature of God. That would include our ideas on who or what God is, the relationship between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit (I'll refer to Him as the Holy Ghost), and on His/Their relationship to us. I have asked CCCYou to begin by sharing his thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 09:33 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,159,415 times
That sounds like a personal matter to handle through personal messaging or blogs. Whatever your differences are, they're between you two and God.

This tread, and the way it's already been set up, is inviting a show-like atmosphere, where people take sides and indulge in human disunity. It becomes less of debate and discussion, and more of religion postering and grandstanding. I've never understood why people jump onboard the personal bickering train here, arguing over their own views instead of seeking common understanding.

We really need to elevate God over self here, or else it's just more politics and stupidity and worldliness. We're already inundated with that all around us, so this is a lowering that we need to resist; not encourage. And besides God, people are watching - watching to see if we're really different, or just part of the circus.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-05-2021 at 10:05 AM..

Old 10-05-2021, 10:17 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
That sounds like a personal matter to handle through personal messaging or blogs. Whatever your differences are, they're between you two and God.

This tread, and the way it's already been set up, is inviting a show-like atmosphere, where people take sides and indulge in human disunity. It becomes less of debate and discussion, and more of religion postering and grandstanding. I've never understood why people jump onboard the personal bickering train here, arguing over their own views instead of seeking common understanding.

We really need to elevate God over self here, or else it's just more politics and stupidity and worldliness. We're already inundated with that all around us, so this is a lowering that we need to resist; not encourage. And besides God, people are watching - watching to see if we're really different, or just part of the circus.
Actually, it is a very good kind of discussion to have on the forum. This is a discussion forum by the way and it's a welcome change from the usual arguing that goes on around here.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:21 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:

CCCYou told me yesterday that he wouldn't be able to post until today, so I'm not concerned that he hasn't posted yet. Neither one of us wants a "show-like atmosphere," and I'm sure that's not what it's going to turn into. What we are actually doing is "seeking common understanding" and maybe demonstrating to others that this is possible. You are certainly welcome to ignore this thread if you like.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:25 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Just pointing out that the thread already prominently lists two posters even in the title, like as a match or competition. I've said what the Holy Spirit put on my heart. Take it to that level if you want, but Jesus and his teachings won't look any better in the process.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-05-2021 at 10:34 AM..

Old 10-05-2021, 11:16 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
Quote:
Just pointing out that the thread already prominently lists two posters even in the title, like as a match or competition. I've said what the Holy Spirit put on my heart. Take it to that level if you want, but Jesus and his teachings won't look any better in the process.
I agree. There's already an active thread about Mormon beliefs. What more needs to be said? If CCC wants to post a thread about RC beliefs he's free to do so. Same for members of any other denominations.

Old 10-05-2021, 11:18 AM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
“The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley.”

Old 10-05-2021, 12:05 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:

It seems to me ccc and Katzpur do want to find common ground and this type of conversation would be very good for the forum as it is stated from the start it is to be about sharing and learning about the other instead of from that bickering place you mention

I am interested in how the conversation develops

Old 10-05-2021, 12:29 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Cool idea. I'd enjoy reading it. I'd love to see it in some sort of public post so we can all read it.

Old 10-05-2021, 12:49 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I am interested in how the conversation develops

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Cool idea. I'd enjoy reading it. I'd love to see it in some sort of public post so we can all read it.
We are in agreement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity