Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 09:14 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As I said, we will all prefer our beliefs about this emotional issue. I interpret Luke differently because babies kick in the womb all the time as the pregnancy nears term and it only specifically refers to Elisabeth receiving the Holy Spirit. To each his own, CCyou!
Luke 1:15: “… He will be filled with the holy Spirit even from his mother’s womb,”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 07:04 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That view of scripture is a spiritual dinosaur and should have gone extinct centuries ago. Inspiration is not dictation and it is dependent on the accuracy of the receivers' knowledge and understanding of God, which our ancestors did NOT have.
Most heretics do tend to start with the idea of tossing out God's Word. Then anything goes with no authority. If you wish to identify in that group, that's up to you.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:37 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Luke 1:15: “… He will be filled with the holy Spirit even from his mother’s womb,”
I do not infer what you do from that verse. Peace.

Old 10-29-2021, 06:22 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I’m just wondering how God views IVF where a couple uses donated sperm and/or egg? What about surrogacy? Without knowing much about scripture I would think it would be ok…I mean if a couple wants children and there’s something wrong with the sperm or egg would God really frown on the couple using donated genetic material to have a family?

The Bible does not say, but it does say this: (Psalm 127:3) . . .Look! Sons are an inheritance from Jehovah; The fruitage of the belly is a reward.

He must sanction it.

Old 10-29-2021, 08:29 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,050,936 times
Since Abraham impregnated Hagar in Genesis because Sarah couldn't have children, I'm not sure what the problem is.

Old 10-29-2021, 08:34 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Since Abraham impregnated Hagar in Genesis because Sarah couldn't have children, I'm not sure what the problem is.
You're not sure, that's fair enough. But do you care to find out why anyone would have a problem with it?

David also had Uriah killed so that he could steal his wife. Not everything in the Bible is an example for us to follow.

Old 10-29-2021, 08:49 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,050,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
You're not sure, that's fair enough. But do you care to find out why anyone would have a problem with it?

David also had Uriah killed so that he could steal his wife. Not everything in the Bible is an example for us to follow.

I've already heard all the arguments. Early in my career I worked for an international medical organization that dealt specifically with the question of infertility treatment. IVF and all the other procedures. In the mid-80s, I had to assist the committee of clergy and physicians that formed to create the ethical guidelines (In case you're interested, here you go: https://www.asrm.org/news-and-public...tee-documents/). So I'm familiar with the objections.

Back to the Bible. The Angel of the Lord said to Hagar, "Then the angel of the Lord told her, “Go back to your mistress and submit to her.” The angel added, “I will increase your descendants so much that they will be too numerous to count.”"

This is not exactly a condemnation. In fact, in the very next chapter of Genesis, God makes a covenant with Abraham. While Sarah resents Hagar and Ishmael and forces Abraham to send them away, God protects both of them in the wilderness and allows Ishmael to create an entire nation. So while God punished David for his act, he blessed the issue of Abraham and Hagar's union. This is starkly different from God's response to David's actions, as demonstrated in 2 Samuel 12.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 10-29-2021 at 09:18 AM..

Old 10-29-2021, 02:25 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,101,995 times
I believe what my church teaches in regard to family life.

First of all we strongly encourage adoption and don't encourage using extraordinary means to create a child.

Since in marriage two become one it's against our belief to use a surrogate to carry the child. The sperm and egg must come from the future parents.

We believe that personhood begins at the time of conception. In the case of IVF that means fertilizing only the amount of eggs that are to be placed in the uterus. This way there are no left over embryos since we are not to kill or harm other persons. Embryos can not be frozen, discarded or otherwise misused.

I find these teachings to be perfectly reasonable and based on basic Christian beliefs but I'm sure many will disagree.

Old 10-30-2021, 04:51 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,655,273 times
Wow, I can't believe there's a negative aspect to this leap of science for the infertile.

What about organ transplants, then?

I guess cloning is out!

Old 10-30-2021, 05:28 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I’m just wondering how God views IVF where a couple uses donated sperm and/or egg? What about surrogacy? Without knowing much about scripture I would think it would be ok…I mean if a couple wants children and there’s something wrong with the sperm or egg would God really frown on the couple using donated genetic material to have a family?
Not that this is the answer you're probably looking for, but this is just one of the problems that exists when we insist that all of the answers to our questions about moral issues can be found in the scriptures.

You're going to get answers that say, "God's fine with it" and you're going to get answers that say, "It's sinful." And since you don't know a single solitary one of us, are you just going to go with what the majority of posters say? If you're just curious, maybe it doesn't matter, but if you're asking for help in making what should just be a decision between you and God, nothing any of us can say should matter in the slightest, since scripture is -- for obvious reasons -- silent on IVF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity