Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 10:43 PM

1,655 posts, read 775,103 times

Advertisements

I’m just wondering how God views IVF where a couple uses donated sperm and/or egg? What about surrogacy? Without knowing much about scripture I would think it would be ok…I mean if a couple wants children and there’s something wrong with the sperm or egg would God really frown on the couple using donated genetic material to have a family?

Last edited by GoAmericaGo; 10-26-2021 at 10:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2021, 11:55 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times
How does he feel...? Probably the same way he does about adoption, he doesn't have a problem with it.

Old 10-27-2021, 03:03 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,012,828 times
Don't believe that God is against bringing life, It only when people end a life that God sees as senseless.

Old 10-27-2021, 07:29 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,927,714 times
IVF is immoral because it does violence to the marital act.

"The new life is not engendered through an act of love between husband and wife, but by a laboratory procedure performed by doctors or technicians. Husband and wife are merely sources for the "raw materials" of egg and sperm, which are later manipulated by a technician to cause the sperm to fertilize the egg."

Catholic View of Reproductive Technology

and the definitive source document:

Donum Vitae - Respect for Human Life

Old 10-27-2021, 07:51 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,380,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I’m just wondering how God views IVF where a couple uses donated sperm and/or egg? What about surrogacy? Without knowing much about scripture I would think it would be ok…I mean if a couple wants children and there’s something wrong with the sperm or egg would God really frown on the couple using donated genetic material to have a family?
Interesting question.
At what point do you believe that God imparts life/a spirit/a soul to newly formed humans within the IVF process?

And what-of the excess live fertilized eggs that get frozen/abandoned/discarded/used for science experiments/ in the process?
Besides how God views it, do they get a vote and a say, about the process?

Last edited by CCCyou; 10-27-2021 at 08:01 AM..

Old 10-27-2021, 10:56 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:
Nothing in the Bible tells us it's right or wrong. It's up to you.

Having said that, I know the IVF process does often result in fertilized eggs being destroyed. If life begins at conception, then an innocent life ends. I have issue with that.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:58 AM

11,085 posts, read 7,146,060 times
Quote:
Ask God.

None of us are God. LOL

Old 10-27-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
IVF is immoral because it does violence to the marital act.

"The new life is not engendered through an act of love between husband and wife, but by a laboratory procedure performed by doctors or technicians. Husband and wife are merely sources for the "raw materials" of egg and sperm, which are later manipulated by a technician to cause the sperm to fertilize the egg."

Catholic View of Reproductive Technology

and the definitive source document:

Donum Vitae - Respect for Human Life
The Roman Catholic Church is not the divine authority.

Old 10-27-2021, 02:14 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Is there such a thing as divine authority?

Old 10-27-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Is there such a thing as divine authority?
That depends on whether or not, you believe God exists, however it is not the Worldly Churches of man that are divine. Your article stated that the "Church once more puts forward the divine law in order to accomplish the work of truth and liberation," yet it holds people in bondage to the views of certain men. And, I do not believe that the Pope is the one who possesses the power to decide for others.

Neither is everything regarding love, intimacy and procreation about a sexual act of spreading her legs, nor is it a divine mandate for having a child. That's why I had mentioned adoption in a previous post. Although, one should be aware of the risks of artificial insemination - it still does not make a child, less of a child for those who are having a difficult time conceiving. Personally, I do not find it immoral, anymore than wearing a condom - because you do not desire having a child at a particular moment in time. And some have chosen not to conceive or have children as well.

It is not up to you, or the Catholic Church to decide for others or make those decisions.

Last edited by Jerwade; 10-27-2021 at 03:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity