Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 06:09 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times

Advertisements

It is not a myth. God loves all that He has created. He does not love all that His creations DO! But while He does not love all that they do, He does not hate any of them, just their actions. There is no hate or wrath or vengeance in God and He would like us to become the same. We are disappointingly deficient which is why He came to be one of us as Jesus to become the kind of human we could not and bring us all into His loving presence.

Old 10-28-2021, 04:19 AM

299 posts, read 104,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptistfundie
He didn't create sin, and he didn't create us as sinners.
Oh boy, here we go. You're saying that Adam created sin? Thought of it all by himself? Caught God totally off-guard? Please, don't make me bring up omniscience and stuff.

Old 10-28-2021, 05:49 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
He didn't create sin, and he didn't create us as sinners.

Yeshayahu - Isaiah - Chapter 45

7 Who forms light and creates darkness, Who makes peace and creates evil; I am the Lord, Who makes all these..

Quote:
A god we can easily understand is not God.
This is the most ignorant thing that I’ve heard yet...

Old 10-28-2021, 06:48 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,175,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Go with Jesus' words and teachings to avoid confusion, not Paul's.
8"Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. 9For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 10Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law."

Old 10-28-2021, 06:58 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
Oh boy, here we go. You're saying that Adam created sin? Thought of it all by himself? Caught God totally off-guard? Please, don't make me bring up omniscience and stuff.
What is sin?

Old 10-28-2021, 06:59 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Yeshayahu - Isaiah - Chapter 45

7 Who forms light and creates darkness, Who makes peace and creates evil; I am the Lord, Who makes all these..

This is the most ignorant thing that I’ve heard yet...
Define evil in that context, Richard.

This has been discussed before. But the Hebrew word for evil there does not mean sin.

And yes, I'll say it again. If your god is easily understood by a finite mind, then it's not God. It's a creation of your mind.

Old 10-28-2021, 07:44 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
Sin is not a created thing. In this context, it would be more accurately defined as a privation, a deformation, a lacking, a negation.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:49 AM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
8"Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. 9For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 10Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law."

Old 10-29-2021, 06:20 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,006,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightfame52 View Post
Romans 9:13

13As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

How can it be sincerely taught that scripture teaches that God loves all men without exception, when it specifically says of Esau, God Hated ?

And I got news for you, He did not only hate Esau, but all the workers of iniquity. Ps 5:5

5The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

And they that work iniquity shall soon hear these words Matt 7:23

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Yes, these and those in Ps 5:5 are the very same !

The Bible was written in Hebrew and Greek, especially in the Hebrew section of the Bible, there is no middle ground, so it is either love or hate. What hate means in that instance is that God has judged them unworthy for life, this does not mean that it does not hurt Him, 2 Pet 3:9

Old 10-29-2021, 06:43 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
The Bible was written in Hebrew and Greek, especially in the Hebrew section of the Bible, there is no middle ground, so it is either love or hate. What hate means in that instance is that God has judged them unworthy for life, this does not mean that it does not hurt Him, 2 Pet 3:9
“ Even before they were born, Jacob and Esau struggled in the womb. They were destined, it seems, to be eternal adversaries. Not only were they were different in character and appearance. They also held different places in their parents’ affections:

The boys grew up, and Esau became a skilful hunter, a man of the open country, while Jacob was a quiet man, staying among the tents. Isaac, who had a taste for wild game, loved Esau, but Rebecca loved Jacob. (Gen. 25:27-28)

We know why Rebecca loved Jacob. Before the twins were born, the pains Rebecca felt were so great that “she went to inquire of the Lord.” This is what she was told:

“Two nations are in your womb,

and two peoples from within you will be separated;

one people will be stronger than the other,

and the older will serve the younger.” (Gen. 25:23)

It seemed as if God were saying that the younger would prevail and carry forward the burden of history, so it was the younger, Jacob, whom she loved.

But why, in that case, did Isaac love Esau? Did he not know about Rebecca’s oracle? Had she not told him about it? Besides, did he not know that Esau was wild and impetuous? Can we really take literally the proposition that Isaac loved Esau because “he had a taste for wild game,” as if his affections were determined by his stomach, by the fact that his elder son brought him food he loved? Surely not, when the very future of the covenant was at stake.

The classic answer, given by Rashi, listens closely to the literal text. Esau, says the Torah, “knew how to trap [yode’a tzayid].” Isaac loved him “because entrapment was in his mouth [ki tzayid befiv].” Esau, says Rashi, trapped Isaac by his mouth. Here is Rashi’s comment on the phrase “knew how to trap”:” - https://rabbisacks.org/covenant-conv...t%20Esau%20was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity