Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 05:36 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
As we transition to winter and the land goes to hibernation, green bursting to reds, oranges, and yellows...only to fade to browns and grays.....it is time remember what is above the land.
November 1st a time to recognize All of the Saints, I'd say including the Saints in your life past and present.
November 2nd a time to recognize All of our Souls, take a moment to try and heal another soul in pain.
My mom will be in my heart both days.

No doubt the Saints make clear and visible the path to Christ!
Illuminative waypoints, for navigating through a wayward world.
Not by their own power, but by Christ's; working in and through them as they corrected their course to live lives following His footsteps, and finding Him!
So to can we, even avoiding pitfalls they endured, if only we consider heeding their wisdom learned.
Plus, it will be nice to already know somebody, once we reach our final destination!
By knowing them, we will know Him, and He, us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 05:42 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
November 1st...Mí na Samhain...The Druidic New Year...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't see any problem marking the different seasons differently among different religions - even if they fall on the same days. For instance, the solstices - so what if other religions mark them too, it doesn't change what they mean to ME. Same with Christmas, Easter, Jan 1, you name it.

We all live on the same planet and watch the same stars and share some seasonal changes.
I don’t think Richard was being critical- and I also don’t see a problem

Old 11-01-2021, 06:09 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
https://www.newgrange.com/samhain.htm

Quote:
In Celtic Ireland about 2,000 years ago, Samhain was the division of the year between the lighter half (summer) and the darker half (winter). At Samhain the division between this world and the otherworld was at its thinnest, allowing spirits to pass through.

The family's ancestors were honoured and invited home whilst harmful spirits were warded off. People wore costumes and masks to disguise themselves as harmful spirits and thus avoid harm. Bonfires and food played a large part in the festivities. The bones of slaughtered livestock were cast into a communal fire, household fires were extinguished and started again from the bonfire. Food was prepared for the living and the dead, food for the ancestors who were in no position it eat it, was ritually shared with the less well off.

Christianity incorporated the honouring of the dead into the Christian calendar with All Saints (All Hallows) on November 1st, followed by All Souls on November 2nd. The wearing of costumes and masks to ward off harmful spirits survived as Halloween customs. The Irish emigrated to America in great numbers during the 19th century especially around the time of famine in Ireland during the 1840's. The Irish carried their Halloween traditions to America, where today it is one of the major holidays of the year. Through time other traditions have blended into Halloween, for example the American harvest time tradition of carving pumpkins.
Quote:
The Diwali Festival
The Hindu Diwali (Divali, Deepavali) Festival known as the Festival of Lights occurs about the same time as Samhain. Diwali marks the Hindu New Year just as Samhain marks the Celtic New Year, could it be that Diwali and Samhain have a common root in antiquity?

Old 11-02-2021, 12:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I don't know what his motivation was and didn't accuse him of being critical for the record.

I was simply discussing the various days that he was discussing, and what they mean to me, and why, and how cool it is that we share so many common dates.

Old 11-03-2021, 12:09 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,051,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I wasn’t...Just offering some different information on the same date...

Rosh Hashanah, literally meaning "head the year", is the Jewish New Year. The biblical name for this holiday is Yom Teruah, literally "day of shouting or blasting." It is the first of the Jewish High Holy Days, as specified by Leviticus 23:23–25, that occur in the late summer/early autumn of the Northern Hemisphere.

Chinese New Year begins on February 12...

Old 11-03-2021, 07:26 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
I read this meditation this morning from Dom Benedict Baur, O.S.B. and thought it was worth sharing:

Holy Mother the Church knows the suffering of her children in the flames of purgatory and sympathizes with them. Their chief suffering is their exclusion from the presence of God. These souls repose "in Christ" and are intimately united with Him; they are in the state of grace and realize that eventually they will attain the sight of God. But still they are detained; they do not enjoy "eternal rest". "The perpetual light" does not yet shine upon them. They are still in the "bonds of sin", suffering temporal punishment due to their sins. They have "still the spots of their daily sins", although they long for God and for a "place of refreshment, light, and peace". They still suffer the pain of separation from God. They love God, and they love Him alone; but they cannot possess Him, see Him, or repose in Him. They are not as yet worthy of associating with Him. Their sins, their unfaithfulness, their want of contrition and penance, have caused this temporary separation from God. How fervently they repent of their sins and negligences now! But their contrition, their tears, their prayers, cannot help them. The time for such repentance ended with death. "The night cometh, when no man can work" (John 9:4). They can expiate their sins only through suffering, and they will be detained until God's justice is satisfied. The Church knows the misery and helplessness of the souls in purgatory. Today she takes pity on them and wishes that we also be touched by this pity.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:08 AM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I read this meditation this morning from Dom Benedict Baur, O.S.B. and thought it was worth sharing:

Holy Mother the Church knows the suffering of her children in the flames of purgatory and sympathizes with them. Their chief suffering is their exclusion from the presence of God. These souls repose "in Christ" and are intimately united with Him; they are in the state of grace and realize that eventually they will attain the sight of God. But still they are detained; they do not enjoy "eternal rest". "The perpetual light" does not yet shine upon them. They are still in the "bonds of sin", suffering temporal punishment due to their sins. They have "still the spots of their daily sins", although they long for God and for a "place of refreshment, light, and peace". They still suffer the pain of separation from God. They love God, and they love Him alone; but they cannot possess Him, see Him, or repose in Him. They are not as yet worthy of associating with Him. Their sins, their unfaithfulness, their want of contrition and penance, have caused this temporary separation from God. How fervently they repent of their sins and negligences now! But their contrition, their tears, their prayers, cannot help them. The time for such repentance ended with death. "The night cometh, when no man can work" (John 9:4). They can expiate their sins only through suffering, and they will be detained until God's justice is satisfied. The Church knows the misery and helplessness of the souls in purgatory. Today she takes pity on them and wishes that we also be touched by this pity.

thx for sharing the insight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity