Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 PM

8 posts, read 28,333 times

Advertisements

Which one is the best to live in. Economy and safety being 2 major selling points. Trying to move to STX, but some of the stories have me slightly worried.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 07:32 PM

43 posts, read 152,885 times
STT is a denser population area & much faster paced life style, STX is more relaxed and spread out, St. John.... I've never been & probably won't go

Crime is everywhere in the world, seems to me like stt & STX are about equal there (which makes STX safer statistically) but really as long as you aren't at the wrong place at the wrong time (pretty obvious, 3 am in an alley way of a major city is just stupid...) you'll be fine

Old 06-05-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFluoride View Post
STT is a denser population area & much faster paced life style, STX is more relaxed and spread out, St. John.... I've never been & probably won't go

Crime is everywhere in the world, seems to me like stt & STX are about equal there (which makes STX safer statistically) but really as long as you aren't at the wrong place at the wrong time (pretty obvious, 3 am in an alley way of a major city is just stupid...) you'll be fine
Have you adjusted to "Island Time" ?

Old 06-05-2013, 09:43 AM

43 posts, read 152,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjax70 View Post
Have you adjusted to "Island Time" ?
I haven't really noticed it actually, not many people are punctual but thatdoesn't bother me, I have a wife so I'm used to it (haha).
]besides, life is about the journey, not the destination; I don't mind sometime to sit and reflect.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:08 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
If you can afford St. John - GO! It is the most beautiful of the 3, I think....but much of it is dedicated land, the housing prices are astronomical, and there is virtually no employment.

If you're independently wealthy and don't have to work, you've found your spot.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
If you can afford St. John - GO! It is the most beautiful of the 3, I think....but much of it is dedicated land, the housing prices are astronomical, and there is virtually no employment.

I'm not there yet LOL!

Job will be needed. But I love the info. This forum and feedback helps in keeping myself and my 19 year old dream alive

Old 04-01-2016, 02:29 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
I agree with Sam. St John is beautiful. Beaches there are beautiful. But most of the island is national park land.

St Thomas had pretty beaches but is more populated, more touristy and more commercial.

Stx is less commercial, more laid back, but still fun.

I guess STT is the more packaged destination for visitors but if I had to guess which I would enjoy more as a resident I might go with STX.

It's weird though, they are US territories but I found their accents to be stronger than some non US islands such as Barbados or Trinidad.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:17 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
I would choose STT or STX, as I prefer to have Caribbean culture around me. Additionally, STT and STX have far more when it comes to conveniences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
It's weird though, they are US territories but I found their accents to be stronger than some non US islands such as Barbados or Trinidad.
All are strong to me, but very distinct from each other. It may be U.S. territory but the vast majority of people are Caribbean. The majority also have heritages in other islands. The VI is a little melting pot.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:48 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post

Old 04-02-2016, 11:13 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,201,985 times
The three islands (excluding Water Island, the "4th" Virgin Island, which is STT-oriented) are all different. St. Thomas is tourism driven. St. Croix is industry driven (with problems there) and St. John is old money, big money, U.S. National Park driven. Friends and acquaintances that live and have lived on STX wouldn't move to STT on a bet. They love it. I've enjoyed STX every time I've been there. Slower pace, less frenetic, less traffic. STT a little wilder, sucking in thousands of cruise ship passengers a day, expensive (gas was ALWAYS way more on STT than on STX), but overall I think the conveniences are a little better . . . maybe. Crucians would argue that, and probably convince me otherwise. I could live on St. John, but whether you like it or not, you have to go to St. Thomas for many conveniences, Cost-U-Less, Plaza Extra, K-Mart, etc. Slower pace, but costs are much higher. Hospitality workers, with some obvious exceptions (multiple people living together, etc.) can't really swing the housing costs on STJ. I'm sure there's some that would argue that, too. The unemployment rate on STX is higher than STT is higher than STJ, but only the latter because many on STJ don't NEED to work. Blinders on, I'd choose STT from what I know, make contacts, expand horizons and feel out the other two over time. You might find a fit and jump islands. Some do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories