Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 06:08 PM

27 posts, read 7,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I realize that I'm probably wasting my time saying this, but Hebrews 6:4-6 is not talking about believers falling away from their salvation and being unable to be renewed again to salvation.

In the first century church there were what were called Judaizers. Jews or Jewish Christians who believed and taught that to be saved you must adopt the customs of Judaism. What the writer of Hebrews was referring to was the danger of Christians falling from grace teaching into legalism by listening to and believing the Judaizers. When a believer who has had some degree of grace orientation departs from that orientation and goes into legalism it is very difficult for him to return to grace thinking. This is what the writer of Hebrews was writing about in Hebrews 6:4. Look at the preceding context in Hebrews 5:11. The people he was writing to should have been teachers by that time but were again in need of relearning the basic teachings. They are being urged to press on to maturity. Not being warned about losing their salvation.

The unforgivable sin which was mentioned in an earlier post was basically not believing that Jesus who was who he claimed to be. To be eternally saved you must believe that Jesus died for your sins. The Pharisees who claimed that Jesus was performing miracles by the power of Satan instead of by the Holy Spirit were denying that Jesus was who he claimed to be. That was the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. As long as the Pharisees refused to come to Jesus for eternal life they could not be forgiven.
i respect your answer sir. as much as i do disagree on many aspects, it is good for me to understand how you see things and why. one thing for sure, i do believe that hebrews 6:4-6 is different from the unforgivable sin that Jesus talks about. however, i do believe apostasy is a very dangerous place and receives punishment eternally if it has developed to the point of no return. you did not waste your time, don't worry! i like to hear others input and interpretation even if others do not agree with me and i do not agree with them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 02:37 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,051,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameizhere View Post
okay. may i ask do you believe in once saved always saved? personally i do not. do you think apostasy is possible for a true believer to commit?
What does apostasy mean to you?...

Old 11-07-2021, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
What does apostasy mean to you?...
falling away from faith completely. as a point where repentance becomes impossible because of their hard-heartedness. i believe it is one's freewill to get to this point however, as they let themselves fall away. i do not believe you can just lose salvation in any way, i think if you lose it, it's because you in some way walk away from it

Old 11-07-2021, 06:01 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,273 times
Quote:
The question is the question above in the title. Or is it about apostasy?

The New World translation adds the word practice to sin A. Of course Christians sin every single day, some even commit serious sins, but it has to do with repentance. Take a look at the example of a very loved person of God who sinned drastically, David. He truly did a bad thing, one in which he personally said the man should be killed, and he was willing to kill the individual, but that individual was him. He immediately repented begging God for forgiveness. God accepted his plea, and he was privileged to have Jesus come through his lineage. Of course, if we practice serious sins without any remorse, there is no longer sacrifice left for us.

Old 11-07-2021, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
The New World translation adds the word practice to sin A. Of course Christians sin every single day, some even commit serious sins, but it has to do with repentance. Take a look at the example of a very loved person of God who sinned drastically, David. He truly did a bad thing, one in which he personally said the man should be killed, and he was willing to kill the individual, but that individual was him. He immediately repented begging God for forgiveness. God accepted his plea, and he was privileged to have Jesus come through his lineage. Of course, if we practice serious sins without any remorse, there is no longer sacrifice left for us.
I do see what you are saying

regarding king david, would you say he was considered righteous and to have eternal life prior to his sin? i think we can acknowledge the fact that he probably did these sins wilfully, as if he had the knowledge not to do it because it offends God, then doing this would make it wilful sin

on the other hand, i would say that believers do commit accidental sin, perhaps everyday, yes. however this should be decreasing. and in terms of wilful sin, i do not believe we should be wilfully sinning everyday. i have fallen into wilful sin after being saved, but i repented and did not go back to it. we just cannot. i truly do believe that there are multiple warnings in the new testament about losing salvation. i thank God that he disciplined me and had taken me out of that sin straight away, otherwise if i had got lost in it habitually i don't know if i could have recovered, and i might have fallen away. i think if someone has truly repented, then they will not go back to those wilful sins. if they do, i think that is regarded as backsliding. i believe that a continuous state of backsliding and wilful sin that is not dealt with can lead to loss of salvation and apostasy, however i do not believe this just occurs straight away after only sinning once

Old 11-07-2021, 07:35 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I find Jesus taught at Matthew 24:13 in order to be saved one must endure to the end.
So, either endure faithful to death, or be found faithful at Jesus' coming Glory Time of Matthew 25:31-33,37.
Even the apostle Paul was concerned about becoming a castaway at 1st Corinthians 9:27.
Beware that the one standing does Not fall found at 1st Corinthians 10:12 .
I've explained Matthew 24:13 to you I don't know how many times and you just don't get it. I doubt that you ever will. Neither do you understand Paul's meaning.

Old 11-07-2021, 10:36 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I've explained Matthew 24:13 to you I don't know how many times and you just don't get it.

I doubt that you ever will. Neither do you understand Paul's meaning.
It seems that most merely parrot, what they have been taught.

Old 11-07-2021, 11:12 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It seems that most merely parrot, what they have been taught.
And if you don't "parrot", but want to dig deep and find out what it all really means under the surface, you have all kinds of struggles. Like me.

I can't even understand the Atonement, despite my thread a while ago.

Re the unforgiveable sin, my limited understanding is that it is simply not accepting Jesus as Savior.

Old 11-07-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
And if you don't "parrot", but want to dig deep and find out what it all really means under the surface, you have all kinds of struggles. Like me.

I can't even understand the Atonement, despite my thread a while ago.

Re the unforgiveable sin, my limited understanding is that it is simply not accepting Jesus as Savior.
It’s attributing to Satan what is clearly the work of G-d...

Old 11-07-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
falling away from faith completely. as a point where repentance becomes impossible because of their hard-heartedness. i believe it is one's freewill to get to this point however, as they let themselves fall away. i do not believe you can just lose salvation in any way, i think if you lose it, it's because you in some way walk away from it
An apostate is one who leaves one religion for another...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity