Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 01:15 PM

27 posts, read 7,459 times

Advertisements

The question is the question above in the title. Or is it about apostasy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 01:58 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameizhere View Post
Hebrews 10:26 is not saying that willful sin can't be forgiven. It is simply restating what was previously said in 10:18 in a different way. In 10:18 the writer of Hebrews states that where there is forgiveness of these things there is no longer any offering for sin. Why is there no longer any offering for sin? Because the one offering of Christ on the cross took care of the sin problem once and for all. Hebrews 10:10 states that we (believers) have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Christ once for all. This is positional sanctification having to do with our position in Christ. We can't lose that positional sanctification. We can't lose our position in Christ. Experiential sanctification is a different matter having to do with our spiritual growth in time as believers. But positional sanctification is permanent.

Going back to 10:26 and then to verse 27 and following, it is talking about divine discipline in time for the believer. It is not referring to eternal punishment in the lake of fire. Take a look at Hebrews 12:4-11 which makes it clear that divine judgment for the believer in time is in view rather than eternal punishment. You have to read all of this in context rather than taking one particular verse and making a doctrine out of it.

All sin . . . every sin that the believer can commit can and is forgiven when he simply confesses that sin to God the Father as per 1 John 1:9.

Now, if the believer insists on continuing to commit some sin, or better stated, to live in sin and isn't repentant about it he can come under severe divine discipline as in 10:27-29 but that discipline is for the purpose of correction as stated in 12:4-11.

Old 11-06-2021, 02:42 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Hebrews 10:26 is not saying that willful sin can't be forgiven. It is simply restating what was previously said in 10:18 in a different way. In 10:18 the writer of Hebrews states that where there is forgiveness of these things there is no longer any offering for sin. Why is there no longer any offering for sin? Because the one offering of Christ on the cross took care of the sin problem once and for all. Hebrews 10:10 states that we (believers) have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Christ once for all. This is positional sanctification having to do with our position in Christ. We can't lose that positional sanctification. We can't lose our position in Christ. Experiential sanctification is a different matter having to do with our spiritual growth in time as believers. But positional sanctification is permanent.

Going back to 10:26 and then to verse 27 and following, it is talking about divine discipline in time for the believer. It is not referring to eternal punishment in the lake of fire. Take a look at Hebrews 12:4-11 which makes it clear that divine judgment for the believer in time is in view rather than eternal punishment. You have to read all of this in context rather than taking one particular verse and making a doctrine out of it.

All sin . . . every sin that the believer can commit can and is forgiven when he simply confesses that sin to God the Father as per 1 John 1:9.

Now, if the believer insists on continuing to commit some sin, or better stated, to live in sin and isn't repentant about it he can come under severe divine discipline as in 10:27-29 but that discipline is for the purpose of correction as stated in 12:4-11.
If only you realized that this is true for ALL and the severity of the discipline is EXACTLY equal to what they sowed, Michael. There is no ETERNAL discipline or punishment.

Old 11-06-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If only you realized that this is true for ALL and the severity of the discipline is EXACTLY equal to what they sowed, Michael. There is no ETERNAL discipline or punishment.
I do not believe in the concept of Universalism, and don't imagine that I ever will. But let's not take the thread off topic.

Old 11-06-2021, 02:58 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
I do not believe in the concept of Universalism, and don't imagine that I ever will. But let's not take the thread off topic.
Yep

Universalism can be very lopsided when it doesn’t take into account layering/timing/purpose/relationships/context etc

Old 11-06-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:

okay. may i ask do you believe in once saved always saved? personally i do not. do you think apostasy is possible for a true believer to commit?

Old 11-06-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
okay. may i ask do you believe in once saved always saved? personally i do not. do you think apostasy is possible for a true believer to commit?
Yes, I believe that once a person is saved he cannot lose his salvation for any reason. And yes, I believe that a believer can become apostate though that does not affect his eternal relationship with God in that he is still eternally saved.

Old 11-06-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, I believe that once a person is saved he cannot lose his salvation for any reason. And yes, I believe that a believer can become apostate though that does not affect his eternal relationship with God in that he is still eternally saved.
i see

Old 11-06-2021, 04:22 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
There is a difference between: wilful, premeditated, on-purpose, deliberate, intentional sin or sin by accident/mistake.
The un-forgivable sin of Matthew 12:32 is never forgiven.
We need to ' repent ' so as Not to ' perish ' (<-meaning be destroyed ) - 2nd Peter 3:9; Psalms 92:7; 104:35

Old 11-06-2021, 04:27 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Yes, I believe that once a person is saved he cannot lose his salvation for any reason.......
I find Jesus taught at Matthew 24:13 in order to be saved one must endure to the end.
So, either endure faithful to death, or be found faithful at Jesus' coming Glory Time of Matthew 25:31-33,37.
Even the apostle Paul was concerned about becoming a castaway at 1st Corinthians 9:27.
Beware that the one standing does Not fall found at 1st Corinthians 10:12 .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity