Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 11:39 AM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
I like your question. I’ve often wondered if all the dogs I’ve had and loved in my lifetime will be in heaven. I hope so, but if not, that’s okay. I trust that heaven will be a wonderful place, regardless.
Most people do not realize just how important the state of mind of love is. Only those things in your life that have been in your love will be retained. Everyone and everything that you love or have loved and bonded with will be with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 11:57 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
If you could ask God just ONE question, what would it be?

Why did you let or allow men to use their own imagination(s)?

Old 11-12-2021, 12:03 PM

299 posts, read 104,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I'd ask:

What is the deal with Adam and Eve? I mean, really!

If I got 2 questions it'd be:

What's the deal with the Nephilim?
"What is the deal with" is rather vague. What deal are you talking about? You seem to be pointing out some perceived problem. Be specific. It's your one shot at getting a question in. Don't blow it!

Old 11-12-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
If you could ask God just ONE question, what would it be?

Why did you let or allow men to use their own imagination(s)?

I'm not a spokesman for God in such matters, but I'll try to answer from my lowly perspective.

Imagination is the ability to hold objects and events in your mind, even when they are not immediately present to your senses. The power to do that serves as the basis for all rational thought - holding concepts as pure abstractions in the mind, testing them, finding relationships between them, etc. - - a process that couldn't get started without imagination.

Rational thought is the fruit of Logos, The Son Himself, spoken of in the Gospel of John.

Old 11-12-2021, 12:56 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
I'm not a spokesman for God in such matters, but I'll try to answer from my lowly perspective.

Imagination is the ability to hold objects and events in your mind, even when they are not immediately present to your senses. The power to do that serves as the basis for all rational thought - holding concepts as pure abstractions in the mind, testing them, finding relationships between them, etc. - - a process that couldn't get started without imagination.

Rational thought is the fruit of Logos, The Son Himself, spoken of in the Gospel of John.
What do you mean by rational or rationality? Is it not the quality or state of being reasonable or that of having sound judgment without descending into the rabbit hole of extremeism?

Old 11-12-2021, 12:59 PM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
"What is the deal with" is rather vague. What deal are you talking about? You seem to be pointing out some perceived problem. Be specific. It's your one shot at getting a question in. Don't blow it!
God knows what I mean, lol! For the rest of you, specifically it's original sin via a single couple and an apple.

Many, many people have "trouble" with Adam and Eve, so I'm not alone in that.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:23 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Do you regret giving "man" free will"? From where I stand, that has been a "train wreck", but maybe I don't see the big picture.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What do you mean by rational or rationality? Is it not the quality or state of being reasonable or that of having sound judgment without descending into the rabbit hole of extremeism?

I mean the same thing you mean, I think. Symbolic, abstract thinking. Reason is necessary for language. You make a word stand in the place of a thing. A tree, obviously, is not the sound "tree". The sound "tree" is a placeholder for that big green thing over there. But before you can do that, you first have to have an idea in your mind of "treeness" (a Platonic form). That might not be a uniquely human ability, but I doubt that there are many non-human creatures who have the trick. A whale or an elephant, maybe, but almost surely not a frog. Thank God our species has it!

"Reasonable" and "sound" judgements are the product of being able to abstract, conceptualize and symbolize. And none of it would happen without imagination - seeing things in the mind's eye.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Do you regret giving "man" free will"? From where I stand, that has been a "train wreck", but maybe I don't see the big picture.

Yeah, the jury's still out on that one. Opinion is divided. Let me know if you hear anything!

Old 11-12-2021, 01:57 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,694,213 times
Quote:
I mean the same thing you mean, I think. Symbolic, abstract thinking. Reason is necessary for language. You make a word stand in the place of a thing. A tree, obviously, is not the sound "tree". The sound "tree" is a placeholder for that big green thing over there. But before you can do that, you first have to have an idea in your mind of "treeness" (a Platonic form). That might not be a uniquely human ability, but I doubt that there are many non-human creatures who have the trick. A whale or an elephant, maybe, but almost surely not a frog. Thank God our species has it!

"Reasonable" and "sound" judgements are the product of being able to abstract, conceptualize and symbolize. And none of it would happen without imagination - seeing things in the mind's eye.
I agree

And this ability/gift we have also needs free will and decision making to be able to act upon/build upon it

Also in there is communication and co-operation (or dispute)

So “we” need to be allowed to explore, experiment, and part of that is making mistakes which we (hopefully/eventually) learn from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity