Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2021, 12:06 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The water issue wasn't cited in the article, but it is incontrovertible proof that a world wide flood did not happen with human survivors. The rate of rainfall required would make it impossible to breathe.
It didn't happen just from rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 01:44 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Jesus seemed to treat Noah as a real person and the Flood as an historical event in Matthew 24 and Luke 17. In light of this, are we to view the "coming of the Son of Man" through the same allegorical/spiritual lens through which we would view the Flood?

The author of Hebrews also treats Noah and the Flood as historical in Hebrews 11:7.

St. Peter also treats Noah and the Flood as historical in 1 Peter 3:20.

"As to the view of Christian tradition, it suffices to appeal here to the words of Father Zorell who maintains that the Bible story concerning the Flood has never been explained or understood in any but a truly historical sense by any Catholic writer (cf. Hagen, Lexicon Biblicum). It would be useless labour and would exceed the scope of the present article to enumerate the long list of Fathers and Scholastic theologians who have touched upon the question. The few stray discordant voices belonging to the last fifteen or twenty years are simply drowned in this unanimous chorus of Christian tradition...

[Francois] Lenormant pronounces the Flood story as the most universal tradition in the history of primitive man, and Franz Delitzsch was of opinion that we might as well consider the history of Alexander the Great a myth, as to call the Flood tradition a fable. It would, indeed, be a greater miracle than that of the Deluge itself, if the various and different conditions surrounding the several nations of the earth had produced among them a tradition substantially identical." ~ Catholic Encyclopedia - The Deluge

That said, it is not necessary to adhere to a belief that the Flood literally covered the entire surface of the earth. Neither is it necessary to believe that the Flood killed literally everyone except for Noah and his family.
Past a certain point literalism gets in our way of understanding the higher things

There is a symbolic representation at work In the Scriptures

We need to interpret and translate the symbols using the Scriptures as our guide for what they represent

Revelation (and the rest of Scripture) tells us a lot of things, but we need to understand it in the correct context

The water, mountains referenced in the Hebrew Scripture/OT are not the literal (physical) ones, it is a reference to Real societal things which are the invisible things, and humans are the things that are made which have the natural capacity and gifts to understand

We are told this in Romans

Rom 1:20**For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Rom 1:21**Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Rom 1:22**Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

Understood is this:-
G3539***(Strong)
νοιέω
noieō
noy-eh'-o
From G3563; to exercise the mind (observe), that is, (figuratively) to comprehend, heed: - consider, perceive, think, understand.

Imagination is this:-
G1261***(Strong)
διαλογισμός
dialogismos
dee-al-og-is-mos'
From G1260; discussion, that is, (internal) consideration (by implication purpose), or (external) debate: - dispute, doubtful (-ing), imagination, reasoning, thought.

Rev 17:9**And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.

Rev 17:15**And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the ***** sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.

Rev 17:18**And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

Eze 38:14**Therefore, son of man, prophesy and say unto Gog, Thus saith the Lord GOD; In that day when my people of Israel dwelleth safely, shalt thou not know it?
Eze 38:15**And thou shalt come from thy place out of the north parts, thou, and many people with thee, all of them riding upon horses, a great company, and a mighty army:
Eze 38:16**And thou shalt come up against my people of Israel, as a cloud to cover the land; it shall be in the latter days, and I will bring thee against my land, that the heathen may know me, when I shall be sanctified in thee, O Gog, before their eyes.
Eze 38:17**Thus saith the Lord GOD; Art thou he of whom I have spoken in old time by my servants the prophets of Israel, which prophesied in those days many years that I would bring thee against them?
Eze 38:18**And it shall come to pass at the same time when Gog shall come against the land of Israel, saith the Lord GOD, that my fury shall come up in my face.
Eze 38:19**For in my jealousy and in the fire of my wrath have I spoken, Surely in that day there shall be a great shaking in the land of Israel;
Eze 38:20**So that the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the heaven, and the beasts of the field, and all creeping things that creep upon the earth, and all the men that are upon the face of the earth, shall shake at my presence, and the mountains shall be thrown down, and the steep places shall fall, and every wall shall fall to the ground.
Eze 38:21**And I will call for a sword against him throughout all my mountains, saith the Lord GOD: every man's sword shall be against his brother.
Eze 38:22**And I will plead against him with pestilence and with blood; and I will rain upon him, and upon his bands, and upon the many people that are with him, an overflowing rain, and great hailstones, fire, and brimstone.
Eze 38:23**Thus will I magnify myself, and sanctify myself; and I will be known in the eyes of many nations, and they shall know that I am the LORD.

Last edited by Meerkat2; 11-23-2021 at 01:54 PM..

Old 11-23-2021, 01:54 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Past a certain point literalism gets in our way of understanding the higher things

There is a symbolic representation at work In the Scriptures
Certainly this is true. The ark has long been seen as a symbol of baptism and the Church that safely guides us through the Deluge (the world).

However, that does not preclude the historical event from having taken place.

Old 11-23-2021, 02:18 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Certainly this is true. The ark has long been seen as a symbol of baptism and the Church that safely guides us through the Deluge (the world).

However, that does not preclude the historical event from having taken place.
Which is interesting, because the ark saved them FROM the water. Yet, the claim is that the water of baptism saves. It's complete opposites.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:13 PM

17,813 posts, read 13,713,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Which is interesting, because the ark saved them FROM the water. Yet, the claim is that the water of baptism saves. It's complete opposites.
You need to take it up with Peter then.

1 Peter 3:20-21

20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, 21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God.[a] It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ

Silly 'ole Peter.

Old 11-23-2021, 07:18 PM

23,175 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Quote:
The water issue wasn't cited in the article, but it is incontrovertible proof that a world wide flood did not happen with human survivors. The rate of rainfall required would make it impossible to breathe.
Yup.

The story is not of a literal flood just as the creation story was a spiritual story, Moses was no idiot, he purposely put things in those two stories to.prove it was a spiritial, symbolic story.

Old 11-23-2021, 07:20 PM

23,175 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Quote:
It didn't happen just from rain.
It was Shemini Atzeret, an appointed flood.

Old 11-24-2021, 04:58 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times
Quote:
Please post a link to a legitimate science source (like a major research university) that shows that "MOST" scientists believe the world now contains enough water to flood the earth completely.

I've seen the calculations. It isn't remotely possible.

It is the way I wrote it sir, I guess I should have put a period instead of a comma. I stated the world contains enough water to flood it completely. Scientists believe and we were taught in school that the land masses were once together. In fact they still are, just that oceans erode the land, therefore altering boundaries.

Water does not go anywhere, so if the ice completely melted we would be flooded, not covering mountains completely as mountains have grown in height, as well as valleys deepened.

Old 11-24-2021, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Flatten the mountains, fill in the depths of the sea, melt the ice caps, and yes. There would be.

Exactly BF!

Old 11-24-2021, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Here are a couple of things that science knows beyond doubt:

The Appalachian mountains are over 200 million years old. [It may be that their age is the reason that they are not as tall as some other ranges, due to settling.]

Humans have existed on the earth for less than 200,000 years.

Therefore, for humans to have survived a global flood, it would have to have taken place after the mountain ranges were formed, which renders it impossible due to the lack of water mass to cover the mountains.

The story of the Great Flood is allegorical. Learn from it. Don't take it literally.

Were you unaware of this sirGenesis 8:4) . . .In the seventh month, on the 17th day of the month, the ark came to rest on the mountains of Arʹa·rat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity