Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2021, 06:35 AM

1,799 posts, read 563,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Here are a couple of things that science knows beyond doubt:

The Appalachian mountains are over 200 million years old. [It may be that their age is the reason that they are not as tall as some other ranges, due to settling.]

Humans have existed on the earth for less than 200,000 years.

Therefore, for humans to have survived a global flood, it would have to have taken place after the mountain ranges were formed, which renders it impossible due to the lack of water mass to cover the mountains.

The story of the Great Flood is allegorical. Learn from it. Don't take it literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
Were you unaware of this sirGenesis 8:4) . . .In the seventh month, on the 17th day of the month, the ark came to rest on the mountains of Arʹa·rat.

Yes. And are you aware, Mensa sir, that you are required to believe in Genesis and accept the story even if you are atheist ? Have you not been paying attention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 07:09 AM

16,678 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
It is the way I wrote it sir, I guess I should have put a period instead of a comma. I stated the world contains enough water to flood it completely. Scientists believe and we were taught in school that the land masses were once together. In fact they still are, just that oceans erode the land, therefore altering boundaries.

Water does not go anywhere, so if the ice completely melted we would be flooded, not covering mountains completely as mountains have grown in height, as well as valleys deepened.
I asked you to provide a link to your claim, which you failed to do.

Two people in this thread have stated that the volume of water needed to cover the earth to the height of mountains renders the global flood an impossibility.

The land mass (Pangea) was together as one from about 335 million years ago until about 200 million years ago. As it broke up, some of the first mountains formed (the Appalachians). Later, the newer mountain ranges formed that included the taller ones.

Much, much later, humans evolved on the earth. That happened ~200,000 years ago. Since the claim is that Noah and his family survived the flood, the flood had to have taken place after humans existed, which means that large mountains already existed, which you already admitted with your remark about the ark landing on Ararat.

In order to cover Ararat with water, trillions of cubic MILES of water, beyond what exists on the entire earth, would be required. Since such a volume of water does not exist, and has never existed, a global flood could not possibly have happened.

Read the story as a parable, fable, or allegory. Learn the lessons it contains. Don't try to make it a literal event.

Old 11-24-2021, 07:41 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
The story of the Great Flood is allegorical. Learn from it. Don't take it literally.
Quote:
Read the story as a parable, fable, or allegory. Learn the lessons it contains. Don't try to make it a literal event.
Just curious, mensa... what lesson(s) do you take to learn from the Flood narrative?

Old 11-24-2021, 01:24 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Just curious, mensa... what lesson(s) do you take to learn from the Flood narrative?
I think I asked that exact same question earlier. What IS "the lesson" to be learned?

Old 11-24-2021, 01:34 PM

16,678 posts, read 15,688,422 times
There are a number of lessons that can be learned from the story of the Great Flood.

Here are some search phrases that yield numerous answers:

what is the lesson behind noah's ark

what is the message behind noah ark

What does the ark symbolize in the Bible

What does Noah's ark teach us about God

Suggesting which lesson resonates with you is beyond my abilities. Read and learn.

Old 11-24-2021, 01:35 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
There are a number of lessons that can be learned from the story of the Great Flood.

Here are some search phrases that yield numerous answers:

what is the lesson behind noah's ark

what is the message behind noah ark

What does the ark symbolize in the Bible

What does Noah's ark teach us about God

Suggesting which lesson resonates with you is beyond my abilities. Read and learn.
But I asked the question of you personally.

Old 11-24-2021, 03:32 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
But I asked the question of you personally.
You may have better luck trying to nail jello to the wall.

Old 11-24-2021, 04:03 PM

1,799 posts, read 563,043 times
Y’all are asking an atheist to explain to you the lessons from the story of Noah’s Ark and the Flood

Old 11-24-2021, 08:19 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
Y’all are asking an atheist to explain to you the lessons from the story of Noah’s Ark and the Flood
As far as I know, mensaguy has always declined to make public his personal beliefs or lack thereof on this forum.

Old 11-25-2021, 04:37 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,273 times
Quote:
I asked you to provide a link to your claim, which you failed to do.

Two people in this thread have stated that the volume of water needed to cover the earth to the height of mountains renders the global flood an impossibility.

The land mass (Pangea) was together as one from about 335 million years ago until about 200 million years ago. As it broke up, some of the first mountains formed (the Appalachians). Later, the newer mountain ranges formed that included the taller ones.

Much, much later, humans evolved on the earth. That happened ~200,000 years ago. Since the claim is that Noah and his family survived the flood, the flood had to have taken place after humans existed, which means that large mountains already existed, which you already admitted with your remark about the ark landing on Ararat.

In order to cover Ararat with water, trillions of cubic MILES of water, beyond what exists on the entire earth, would be required. Since such a volume of water does not exist, and has never existed, a global flood could not possibly have happened.

Here you go sir: https://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/gen/7/20/s_7020
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity