Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2021, 06:34 AM

16,678 posts, read 15,688,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
You see Mike there is where we disagree, you say the flood was not worldwide, the Bible says: (Genesis 7:19, 20) . . .The waters overwhelmed the earth so greatly that all the tall mountains under the whole heavens were covered. 20 The waters rose up to 15 cubits above the mountains, and yes I believe that.

Most scientists believe the land masses were once connected, and the world now contains enough water to still flood it completely, Mammals frozen in Siberia show a virtually immediate climate change. So there is scientific evidence as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Please post a link to a legitimate science source (like a major research university) that shows that "MOST" scientists believe the world now contains enough water to flood the earth completely.

I've seen the calculations. It isn't remotely possible.
Quote:
It is the way I wrote it sir, I guess I should have put a period instead of a comma. I stated the world contains enough water to flood it completely. Scientists believe and we were taught in school that the land masses were once together. In fact they still are, just that oceans erode the land, therefore altering boundaries.

Water does not go anywhere, so if the ice completely melted we would be flooded, not covering mountains completely as mountains have grown in height, as well as valleys deepened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I asked you to provide a link to your claim, which you failed to do.

Two people in this thread have stated that the volume of water needed to cover the earth to the height of mountains renders the global flood an impossibility.

The land mass (Pangea) was together as one from about 335 million years ago until about 200 million years ago. As it broke up, some of the first mountains formed (the Appalachians). Later, the newer mountain ranges formed that included the taller ones.

Much, much later, humans evolved on the earth. That happened ~200,000 years ago. Since the claim is that Noah and his family survived the flood, the flood had to have taken place after humans existed, which means that large mountains already existed, which you already admitted with your remark about the ark landing on Ararat.

In order to cover Ararat with water, trillions of cubic MILES of water, beyond what exists on the entire earth, would be required. Since such a volume of water does not exist, and has never existed, a global flood could not possibly have happened.

Read the story as a parable, fable, or allegory. Learn the lessons it contains. Don't try to make it a literal event.
Quote:
All you did was quote some Bible verses in response to a request to cite a source for your claim that "most" scientists believe the world contains enough water to flood it completely.

What Genesis says refutes your claim. It claims that, at a minimum, Mount Ararat was covered with water to a depth of 15 cubits. Ararat is 16,854 feet tall. That means that all the oceans on the earth would have over 3 miles of water added to them.

So, once again, where is the reliable scientific link that states that "most" scientists believe the world contains enough water to flood it completely?

Old 11-25-2021, 06:48 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,490,397 times
I read the piece of wood structure found on Arafat is not the ark?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2021, 06:53 AM

614 posts, read 173,215 times
I think the whole concept of referring to a flood at the dawn of time is to get at what God is doing with man, creating him. The condition of it being a flood allegorically suggests something about the human condition, seeing as how we are not born with wisdom. We have to discover that, by engaging chaos.

The Spirit, the dove of Genesis, comes to us when we have been able to see that. Just before it is about to happen in you, God will be flying in the sky above you, like the raven. He cares for us. I speak in tongues, but I know that is not as important as speaking a few words directly. God wants to speak to our understanding.

For man in a corporate manner, the effort was made by Jesus. It also speaks to us personally because of the role the Spirit plays in the entire story. Jesus and the Spirit are one. When one comes, the other comes. God did a wonderful thing, and made something that can speak to each person, individually, as well as to the group.

It says something about how much God values equality. He want us, once we have found something out about wisdom, to be able to walk according to that, not giving in too much, maybe not giving in at all, when others push for too narrow a definition, nor impaling the rest of the world upon our own conditions, such that we make them suffer so that we can have our own. But we can have our own.

Last edited by Am I a Prophet; 11-25-2021 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: the writing process

Old 11-25-2021, 07:03 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,490,397 times
some of the mountains which exist these days were not there at one time,the lake Titicaca? has seashells and half salt.half fresh water shrimps in the lake,the lake was a result of volcano eruption from the ocean bed,same can be said of the Amazon,the pink dolpins came from the ocean and get trapped .
some of the islands are not islands,they are tip of a mountain which sank into the ocean.

Old 11-25-2021, 07:29 AM

1,196 posts, read 754,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I read the piece of wood structure found on Arafat is not the ark?
I've seen it also when I watched National Geo years ego. but Jehovah God wouldn't allow it to be found anyway. since he knows imperfect humans would try to make a profit from it.

Old 11-25-2021, 07:32 AM

1,196 posts, read 754,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
some of the mountains which exist these days were not there at one time, .some of the islands are not islands, they are tip of a mountain which sank into the ocean.
that makes sense, and I think I've heard something like that before. concerning one Island when I was watching House Hunters.

Old 11-25-2021, 07:57 AM

1,001 posts, read 789,762 times
78:7.4 (875.1) The traditions of a time when water covered the whole of the earth’s surface are universal. Many races harbor the story of a world-wide flood some time during past ages. The Biblical story of Noah, the ark, and the flood is an invention of the Hebrew priesthood during the Babylonian captivity. There has never been a universal flood since life was established on Urantia. The only time the surface of the earth was completely covered by water was during those Archeozoic ages before the land had begun to appear.

78:7.5 (875.2) But Noah really lived; he was a wine maker of Aram, a river settlement near Erech. He kept a written record of the days of the river’s rise from year to year. He brought much ridicule upon himself by going up and down the river valley advocating that all houses be built of wood, boat fashion, and that the family animals be put on board each night as the flood season approached. He would go to the neighboring river settlements every year and warn them that in so many days the floods would come. Finally a year came in which the annual floods were greatly augmented by unusually heavy rainfall so that the sudden rise of the waters wiped out the entire village; only Noah and his immediate family were saved in their houseboat.

Old 11-25-2021, 08:19 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoadg View Post
78:7.4 (875.1) The traditions of a time when water covered the whole of the earth’s surface are universal. Many races harbor the story of a world-wide flood some time during past ages. The Biblical story of Noah, the ark, and the flood is an invention of the Hebrew priesthood during the Babylonian captivity. There has never been a universal flood since life was established on Urantia. The only time the surface of the earth was completely covered by water was during those Archeozoic ages before the land had begun to appear.

78:7.5 (875.2) But Noah really lived; he was a wine maker of Aram, a river settlement near Erech. He kept a written record of the days of the river’s rise from year to year. He brought much ridicule upon himself by going up and down the river valley advocating that all houses be built of wood, boat fashion, and that the family animals be put on board each night as the flood season approached. He would go to the neighboring river settlements every year and warn them that in so many days the floods would come. Finally a year came in which the annual floods were greatly augmented by unusually heavy rainfall so that the sudden rise of the waters wiped out the entire village; only Noah and his immediate family were saved in their houseboat.
There are flood stories among various peoples in many parts of the world because local and regional floods happen all over the world. Rivers overflow, Tsunamis happen, etc. As the ice age was drawing to a close, ice dams which created huge lakes gave way and caused mega-floods in parts of the North Americal continent. The United States pacific Northwest landscape was sculpted by these mega-floods. These events gave rise to legends of a world-wide flood among various ancient peoples. But there never was a global Noah's flood.

The video below is about how the pacific Northwest was landscape was sculpted by these mega-floods.

Ice Age Floods, Lake Missoula, Bonneville Flood and the Columbia River Basalts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1BFb_uYlFQ

Old 11-25-2021, 08:24 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
As far as I know, mensaguy has always declined to make public his personal beliefs or lack thereof on this forum.
Except for his personal belief that the Flood is an allegory from which we can supposedly learn a lesson...

Old 11-25-2021, 09:26 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Except for his personal belief that the Flood is an allegory from which we can supposedly learn a lesson...
I meant overall whether he adheres to any religion or not.
He declines to say.

Many religious people do not take the Flood story literally, as you are aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity