Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2021, 10:02 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Why do you believe they have that dated correctly?
Because the dating techniques are proven to be reliable when done properly by people who know what they're doing.

I'm betting you didn't even watch the video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2021, 10:05 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,441,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I doubt very much that you will believe any amount of scientific evidence against a global flood because it would jeopardize your faith.

However, one bit of evidence is that a global Noah's flood which supposedly occurred in approximately 2304 BC would have completely wiped out any geological evidence of floods which happened before the alleged Noah's flood. But we have a great deal of visible evidence for prehistoric mega-floods that occurred long before 2304 BC.

Watch this video which explains how numerous prehistoric ice-age mega-floods sculpted the geography of Eastern Washington state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWZgfPGtQEs

But you were already provided with a website in post #133 which provided many evidences which disprove a global flood. You refused to look at it because you won't go into a skeptics website. In my opinion, that's a bit cowardly.
There was an Ice Age, but it was caused by the flood and its aftereffects. As the Bible says, the fountains of the great deep were broken up, and this released a lot of heat, warming up the oceans significantly. Moreover, the geological processes involved caused an increase in volcanic activity, which injected dust and aerosols into the atmosphere, cooling the planet. So with very warm oceans, leading to more evaporation and thus more moisture for precipitation, as well as cooler temperatures, lots of snow fell. And snow cover is also a driver of climate. When it doesn't melt over a summer, it forms glaciers.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:17 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,020,156 times
Quote:
Sure it is. You may not accept it, but it is.

Why should I use that standard?

Right. You have your presuppositions and are unwilling to challenge them.
The Bible isnt evidence because it is based on faith. There is nothing wrong with faith. I believe in God myself, however, I dont think that the Bible should be taken literally like you seem to think it should be.

As to why to that standard, because if you think the Bible can be sued as proof, then anyone reading it should be able to come to the same conclusion. Now, you may say that scientist dont always come to the same conclusion and that science is always debated and you would be correct, however, any scientist who is worthy to be called that name is willing to at least admit they may be wrong. You wont.

I am absolutely willing to challenge my believes. You have not presented anything to challenge them with. Making wild claims like the Grand Canyon is proof of the Great Flood is not presenting any kind of evidence.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:17 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Because the dating techniques are proven to be reliable when done properly by people who know what they're doing.
Not always. And they are based off of assumptions.
Quote:
I'm betting you didn't even watch the video.
You didn't really expect me to drop everything to do that, did you?

Old 11-27-2021, 10:18 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
The Bible isnt evidence because it is based on faith. There is nothing wrong with faith. I believe in God myself, however, I dont think that the Bible should be taken literally like you seem to think it should be.
The fact that you can't see that so much of what is called "science" today is based on faith and assumptions is interesting.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
There was an Ice Age, but it was caused by the flood and its aftereffects. As the Bible says, the fountains of the great deep were broken up, and this released a lot of heat, warming up the oceans significantly. Moreover, the geological processes involved caused an increase in volcanic activity, which injected dust and aerosols into the atmosphere, cooling the planet. So with very warm oceans, leading to more evaporation and thus more moisture for precipitation, as well as cooler temperatures, lots of snow fell. And snow cover is also a driver of climate. When it doesn't melt over a summer, it forms glaciers.
The last ice-age ended more than 11,000 years ago which is long before Noah's flood was supposed to have occurred which was approximately 2304 BC. So, no, the ice-age was not caused by Noah's flood.
The Last Glacial Period (LGP) occurred from the end of the Eemian to the end of the Younger Dryas, encompassing the period c. 115,000 – c. 11,700 years ago. The LGP is part of a larger sequence of glacial and interglacial periods known as the Quaternary glaciation which started around 2,588,000 years ago and is ongoing.[1] The definition of the Quaternary as beginning 2.58 million years ago (Mya) is based on the formation of the Arctic ice cap. The Antarctic ice sheet began to form earlier, at about 34 Mya, in the mid-Cenozoic (Eocene–Oligocene extinction event). The term Late Cenozoic Ice Age is used to include this early phase.[2]

During this last glacial period, alternating episodes of glacier advance and retreat occurred. Within the last glacial period, the Last Glacial Maximum was approximately 22,000 years ago. While the general pattern of global cooling and glacier advance was similar, local differences in the development of glacier advance and retreat make comparing the details from continent to continent difficult (see picture of ice core data below for differences). Around 12,800 years ago, the Younger Dryas, the most recent glacial epoch, began, a coda to the preceding 100,000-year glacial period. Its end about 11,550 years ago marked the beginning of the Holocene, the current geological epoch. [Bolded mine]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_G...vitch%20cycles.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:21 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,020,156 times
Quote:
The fact that you can't see that so much of what is called "science" today is based on faith and assumptions is interesting.
There are some assumptions but they are based on proven facts that can be replicated.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:22 AM

1,799 posts, read 563,200 times
Quote:
And many of the "proofs" that you point to in "science" could easily be taken other ways. If you don't have a presupposition.
On the flood? No. Sorry, the science is firm . It never happened . Even most Christians agree with this . The only people that don’t agree with the science that shows the flood never happened are some fundamentalists that can’t allow themselves to consider the truth simply because the truth conflicts with their religious myth. There is no evidence to support the flood , period . The Bible is not scientific evidence. It is prescientific religious writings.

Quote:
And sadly, in the same way, you're quite fundamental about attacking anything that disagrees with what you believe to be truth.
I simply point out where Bronze Age religious mythology doesn’t stand up to scientific investigation. There is nothing at all sad about that . What is sad is grown adults choosing to believe in the manner of little kids , unable to accept reality because reality conflicts with what their juvenile version of religion teaches them .

Old 11-27-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Not always. And they are based off of assumptions.
I said when the dating techniques are done properly by people who know what they are doing.
Quote:
You didn't really expect me to drop everything to do that, did you?
It's a ten minute video. I don't expect you to because you're afraid to have your faith challenged.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:27 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,441,101 times
Quote:
The last ice-age ended more than 11,000 years ago which is long before Noah's flood was supposed to have occurred which was approximately 2304 BC. So, no, the ice-age was not caused by Noah's flood.
The Last Glacial Period (LGP) occurred from the end of the Eemian to the end of the Younger Dryas, encompassing the period c. 115,000 – c. 11,700 years ago. The LGP is part of a larger sequence of glacial and interglacial periods known as the Quaternary glaciation which started around 2,588,000 years ago and is ongoing.[1] The definition of the Quaternary as beginning 2.58 million years ago (Mya) is based on the formation of the Arctic ice cap. The Antarctic ice sheet began to form earlier, at about 34 Mya, in the mid-Cenozoic (Eocene–Oligocene extinction event). The term Late Cenozoic Ice Age is used to include this early phase.[2]

During this last glacial period, alternating episodes of glacier advance and retreat occurred. Within the last glacial period, the Last Glacial Maximum was approximately 22,000 years ago. While the general pattern of global cooling and glacier advance was similar, local differences in the development of glacier advance and retreat make comparing the details from continent to continent difficult (see picture of ice core data below for differences). Around 12,800 years ago, the Younger Dryas, the most recent glacial epoch, began, a coda to the preceding 100,000-year glacial period. Its end about 11,550 years ago marked the beginning of the Holocene, the current geological epoch. [Bolded mine]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_G...vitch%20cycles.
Well, no one was there 11,550 years ago to observe the end of the Ice Age. What you've quoted here is just pure fiction. Pure story-telling, based on the "best guesses" of secularists who exclude God and the Bible a priori. And the Ice Age lasted no more than a few hundred years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity