Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2021, 12:50 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Your statement falls flat on its face. The belief that the earth is six thousand years old is idiotic as is your entire post. There is plenty of evidence that the ice-age began millions of years ago and ended some 11 thousand years ago. For one thing, the age of ice cores can be reliably dated by methods described in the following article.

How are ice cores dated? - AntarcticGlaciers.org

And guess what? Since you admitted that biology is a serious science and since the evidence for evolution includes Genome and DNA testing which is biological in nature you just admitted that biological evolution is a part of 'real' science. Genome sequencing proves human evolution and that Homo Sapiens have been around for some 200,000 years. And get this. The man who headed the human genome project - geneticist Francis Collins is also a Christian who believes in evolution. He also started the Christian website- Biologos.

https://biologos.org/

https://biologos.org/about-us
We are fighting a losing battle against the anti-science contingent that makes up an alarming percentage of Americans. I guess as Jesus-followers we should rise above it. It is certainly not helping society, though.

I really like biologos and so does my highly-educated Christian family.

The Bible is not "easy". I struggle with lots of it, but try to keep researching and getting answers from bigger brains than I happen to possess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2021, 01:00 PM

1,799 posts, read 561,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Many scholars agree that the "angels" descended to earth and copulated with human women resulting in a race of giants. Goliath being among the last of them.

But why are atheists on here arguing about Christianity? This is supposed to be for believers, according to the TOS, right?

If you want to study up on sexual angels, Dr. Michael Heiser has several books and videos on the subject. Half of the books' content are references, so it's not just his opinion.
Many "scholars"? Can we legitimately use the word scholar to apply to someone who believes that angels are having sex with humans? Isnt that sort of like a UFO "scholar" writing books about space aliens and humans copulating?

I dont think the term scholar is justified here.

Old 11-28-2021, 01:17 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
We are fighting a losing battle against the anti-science contingent that makes up an alarming percentage of Americans. I guess as Jesus-followers we should rise above it. It is certainly not helping society, though.
Hi, Sand. I don't know. According to a 2017 Gallup poll the number of Americans who believe the Bible is the literal word of God is down to 24% from previous years.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/210704/...-word-god.aspx

I do believe that the Bible is the word of God but I certainly don't take everything it says literally.

Quote:
I really like biologos and so does my highly-educated Christian family.

The Bible is not "easy". I struggle with lots of it, but try to keep researching and getting answers from bigger brains than I happen to possess.
I like Biologos too. It's a good website. The Bible certainly is messy.

You might also like Old Testament scholar Peter Enns. I have several of his books and listen to his podcast 'The Bible for Normal People' which he jokingly refers to as 'The only God-Ordained Podcast on the Internet'.

https://peteenns.com/podcast/

Also, YouTube has a lot of videos by Enns.

Old 11-28-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
Many "scholars"? Can we legitimately use the word scholar to apply to someone who believes that angels are having sex with humans? Isnt that sort of like a UFO "scholar" writing books about space aliens and humans copulating?

I dont think the term scholar is justified here.
Both the Bible and non-canonical 2nd Temple Period Jewish works such as 1 Enoch state that rebellious angels had sex with human females. Michael Heiser is a legitimate Old Testament scholar who is well versed in the various Semitic languages. He is a legitimate scholar whether or not you think the term is justified.

Old 11-28-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Both the Bible and non-canonical 2nd Temple Period Jewish works such as 1 Enoch state that rebellious angels had sex with human females. Michael Heiser is a legitimate Old Testament scholar who is well versed in the various Semitic languages. He is a legitimate scholar whether or not you think the term is justified.

The term 'legitimate" loses meaning when discussion angels having sex with humans, unless he is simply doing biblical exegesis without holding to the actual belief that this truly happened. If one actually believes this happened, that pretty much removes the legitimacy of applying the term "scholar" to them. S&S post suggested that this belief was accepted as factual, hence my post.

Old 11-28-2021, 01:39 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times
Quote:
The term 'legitimate" loses meaning when discussion angels having sex with humans, unless he is simply doing biblical exegesis without holding to the actual belief that this truly happened. If one actually believes this happened, that pretty much removes the legitimacy of applying the term "scholar" to them.
Scholar just means knowledgeable. Just because you disagree with something that he believes in doesnt mean remove anything.

Old 11-28-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Scholar just means knowledgeable. Just because you disagree with something that he believes in doesnt mean remove anything.

If one accepts this as fact, it removes any semblance of rational sensibility and scientific understanding . If one wishes to apply it to anyone who knows a lot about a given subject, then very well. There are UFO alien sex scholars, flat Earth scholars, creationism scholars, and such by this standard.

Old 11-28-2021, 01:45 PM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:

<<snip>>

But why are atheists on here arguing about Christianity? This is supposed to be for believers, according to the TOS, right?

<<snip>>
No, this is a forum about Christianity. Anybody can post here. What did make sense to the moderators several years ago was to forbid the questioning of the existence or divinity of God or Jesus in this forum. Those posts would be more fitting in the main R&S forum.

Old 11-28-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
The term 'legitimate" loses meaning when discussion angels having sex with humans, unless he is simply doing biblical exegesis without holding to the actual belief that this truly happened. If one actually believes this happened, that pretty much removes the legitimacy of applying the term "scholar" to them. S&S post suggested that this belief was accepted as factual, hence my post.
You are entitled to your opinion, but your personal opinion has no bearing whatsoever on the validity of Heiser's scholarship. He has the academic credentials and knowledge which make him a scholar. I don't agree with everything he says (I don't agree with everything anyone says), but just because I disagree with some particular scholar on some particular view that is held by that scholar does not invalidate that scholar's scholarship. Scholarship is predicated on academic credentials and knowledge. Not on personal beliefs.

And frankly, until and unless you become acquainted with his work your opinion is an uninformed one. And that's as much as I'm going to say on the matter.

Old 11-28-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion, but your personal opinion has no bearing whatsoever on the validity of Heiser's scholarship. He has the academic credentials and knowledge which make him a scholar. I don't agree with everything he says (I don't agree with everything anyone says), but just because I disagree with some particular scholar on some particular view that is held by that scholar does not invalidate that scholar's scholarship. Scholarship is predicated on academic credentials and knowledge. Not on personal beliefs.

And frankly, until and unless you become acquainted with his work your opinion is an uninformed one. And that's as much as I'm going to say on the matter.
I am going to agree with you on this. I brought my understanding of the word scholar over from forums and places where the standards are stricter, but this is the Christianity forum and people here can define scholarship and scholars as they wish. If a person who believes angels are having sex with humans can be considered a scholar by the standards of Christianity, even for doing serious research on the issue, then that is their right.

As to becoming acquainted with his work, I have no more desire to investigate angels supposedly having sex with humans than I do vampires and humans having sex. I allowed that perhaps Heiser doesnt actually believe this but is just writing on the subject. If he does believe this and can still carry the moniker of scholar in Christian circles, so be it. I realize it isnt my place to define and demand legitimacy in what passes for scholars in various religious forums. No doubt Islamic scholars study the qualities of the 70 virgins men will receive in Muslim heaven also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity