Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2021, 02:17 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,020,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
If one accepts this as fact, it removes any semblance of rational sensibility and scientific understanding . If one wishes to apply it to anyone who knows a lot about a given subject, then very well. There are UFO alien sex scholars, flat Earth scholars, creationism scholars, and such by this standard.
Yes there would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2021, 02:22 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
I am going to agree with you on this. I brought my understanding of the word scholar over from forums and places where the standards are stricter, but this is the Christianity forum and people here can define scholarship and scholars as they wish. If a person who believes angels are having sex with humans can be considered a scholar by the standards of Christianity, then that is their right.

As to becoming acquainted with his work, I have no more desire to investigate angels supposedly having sex with humans than I do vampires and humans having sex. I allowed that perhaps Heiser doesnt actually believe this but is just writing on the subject. If he does believe this and can still carry the moniker of scholar in Christian circles, so be it. I realize it isnt my place to define and demand legitimacy in various religious forums. No doubt Islamic scholars study the qualities of the 70 virgins men will receive in Muslim heaven also.
Oh, good grief. The definition of a scholar does not rest upon the views of some person in some particular forum. The dictionary definition of a scholar is as follows.

Essential Meaning of scholar
1: a person who has studied a subject for a long time and knows a lot about it : an intelligent and well-educated person who knows a particular subject very well
a biblical/classical/literary/Shakespearean scholar
She's a renowned scholar of African-American history.
2: someone who has been given a scholarship
a Rhodes scholar

Full Definition of scholar
1: a person who attends a school or studies under a teacher : PUPIL
2a: a person who has done advanced study in a special field
b: a learned person
3: a holder of a scholarship

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scholar

Old 11-28-2021, 02:29 PM

299 posts, read 104,241 times
Now we know who scholars are, but who is Noah?

Old 11-28-2021, 02:34 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,600,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
You don't even have a prima facie argument for a contradiction from those verses.
Is your preconceived bias influencing your statement?

Let's deconstruct, OK?

"And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation ... giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh...." Jude 6-7

Sounds like they liked to "party", no?

What about:

"And there came two angels to Sodom. ... And they turned in unto him, and entered into his house. ... The men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter: And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them. -- Genesis 19:1-4

What does Lot do? Offers them his virgin daughters. The angels wanted to "know" men in response.

But you say, angels don't have sex with humans.

Oh, and let's not forget:

"The sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. ... The sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. -- "Genesis 6:2, 4

Old 11-28-2021, 02:36 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
Now we know who scholars are, but who is Noah?
Right. Back to the topic of the thread.

Old 11-28-2021, 02:59 PM

1,799 posts, read 563,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Oh, good grief. The definition of a scholar does not rest upon the views of some person in some particular forum. The dictionary definition of a scholar is as follows.

Essential Meaning of scholar
1: a person who has studied a subject for a long time and knows a lot about it : an intelligent and well-educated person who knows a particular subject very well
a biblical/classical/literary/Shakespearean scholar
She's a renowned scholar of African-American history.
2: someone who has been given a scholarship
a Rhodes scholar

Full Definition of scholar
1: a person who attends a school or studies under a teacher : PUPIL
2a: a person who has done advanced study in a special field
b: a learned person
3: a holder of a scholarship

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scholar

Again, you are free to apply the term scholar as you wish. No doubt Ken Ham is considered a scholar to creationists, and there are by your standards a number of scholarly creationist websites like AIG.
My lifelong interest in science caused me to rebel against the use of the term to apply to people who hold beliefs that angels and humans are having sex. But if we choose to apply the term to people who simply know a lot about any subject, no matter how rational the subject, then have at it. Alex Jones is a scholar of extreme right wing ideology and conspiracies. John Edwards is a paranormal scholar. The list goes on

Oops sorry, didnt realize we had moved past this. Nevermind.

Old 11-28-2021, 03:22 PM

88,620 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Many scholars agree that the "angels" descended to earth and copulated with human women resulting in a race of giants. Goliath being among the last of them.

But why are atheists on here arguing about Christianity? This is supposed to be for believers, according to the TOS, right?

If you want to study up on sexual angels, Dr. Michael Heiser has several books and videos on the subject. Half of the books' content are references, so it's not just his opinion.
No, the forum is about the religion of Christianity. It is not a forum just for Christians. However, Christianity assumes the existence of a God, so this is not the place to argue whether or not God exists. That can be argued in either R&S general or the Atheism section.

Old 11-28-2021, 03:28 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,020,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, the forum is about the religion of Christianity. It is not a forum just for Christians. However, Christianity assumes the existence of a God, so this is not the place to argue whether or not God exists. That can be argued in either R&S general or the Atheism section.
You may want to go to the thread that I posted above and make that clear. In it it clearly states, " the Christianity forum is for discussions about Christianity, but there is no requirement that a person be a Christian in order to post there."

Reading it, it makes it states that you dont have to be Christian to post here.

Old 11-29-2021, 05:22 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times
Quote:
If all knowledge originated with Jehovah, why then , for example, did Jehovah not convey how to cure polio or smallpox long ago , before men discovered how through experimentation only in the early modern era ? Why does Jehovah not now tell us how to cure other diseases, especially ones that affect and kill children , that we have not yet figured out?

Personally, I think Jehovah made the wisest move when Adam asked to be his own god, He allowed it. What would you consider to be a better way to handle it?

Old 11-29-2021, 08:46 AM

13,627 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
We live on a planet that is over 4 billion years old.
I know this isn't really relevant to the topic at hand, but I see claims like this being made all the time.

What does it mean, exactly?

Since we know that all matter is the same age - it was brought into existence by God in His act of creation - what does it mean that a planet is 4 billion years old?

What happened 4 billion years ago in order to make us "have a planet", where 4 billion years and 1 day ago we didn't have a planet?

I also don't get when they say that a particular rock is however many years old. All matter is the same age, it just takes different forms. Are we saying that those atoms took the form of a rock however many years ago? How does that makes sense? Rocks don't just form instantly. Presumably, it took a long time for that rock to take on the shape and composition it has today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity