Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2021, 02:50 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
What all of those things have in common with creation and the Flood is that they are all supernatural events that defy science. The atheists claim to *know* that God doesn't exist because of a supposed lack of physical evidence. How is what you're saying any different?
Noah's Flood never happened. Period. We have the geological evidence that there never was a global flood. That's how it's different. If there had been it would be plainly evident. But it isn't. I again point out that many of the early geologists were Christians and sought to find evidence for Noah's Flood. Instead, they found that the geological evidence proved that Noah's Flood never happened. It simply didn't.

Quote:
What we *know* is what God has revealed to us. If what we perceive seems to contradict what God has revealed, then the problem lies with our perception, not with God's revelation.
God has revealed through the geological evidence that Noah's Flood never happened. The biblical flood story is simply a legendary development of an actual but regional flood that did occur in that region. It may have been a massive flooding of the Tigris-Euphrates river system. The biblical writer, as did the writers of the other ANE flood stories tried to make sense of it and the biblical writer gave the story a Hebrew slant.

Quote:
If evolution is true and the Genesis account is fiction, then how is the God of the Hebrews superior to the gods of the surrounding nations?
You'll have figure that out for yourself. But the evidence for evolution, not to mention the fact that evolution is readily observable, is overwhelming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2021, 02:55 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
You'll have figure that out for yourself.
Is this you conceding that the God of the Hebrews is no better than the gods of the ANE pagans?

Why do you worship him, or do you?

Old 12-09-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Is this you conceding that the God of the Hebrews is no better than the gods of the ANE pagans?

Why do you worship him, or do you?
No, this is not me conceding that the God of the Hebrews is no better than the gods of the ANE pagans. But evolution, for the nth time, is a reality. So is God. And so, God has to be behind evolution.

There are at least two realms of existence. The supernatural realm and the natural realm. Both operate within their established perimeters. As far as the natural realm goes, that includes evolution - the cosmic evolution of the universe and the biological evolution of life.

Denying it because you can't understand why God would use evolution to carry out his purpose is rather arrogant as well as pointless.

Old 12-09-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
No, this is not me conceding that the God of the Hebrews is no better than the gods of the ANE pagans. But evolution, for the nth time, is a reality. So is God. And so, God has to be behind evolution.
Why is the God of the Hebrews better than the gods of the ANE pagans?

Quote:
There are at least two realms of existence. The supernatural realm and the natural realm. Both operate within their established perimeters. As far as the natural realm goes, that includes evolution - the cosmic evolution of the universe and the biological evolution of life.

Denying it because you can't understand why God would use evolution to carry out his purpose is rather arrogant as well as pointless.
This is not my inability to understand. This is me understanding all too well, and your inability to understand how what you are advocating denigrates God's character. The nature and character of God is reflected in His creation. If His creation is one of misery, suffering, disease, chaos, destruction, death, and failure, then what does that say about Him?

Old 12-09-2021, 03:26 PM

If Noah's Flood was an actual historical event, ark and all, and if the purpose of the ark was to preserve all the species of animal life, and if the earth is only 6-10 thousand years old, and if the flood happened only about four thousand years ago, then dinosaurs would have been on the ark. So if the purpose was to preserve the dinosaurs why did they soon go extinct after the flood? It seems rather pointless to heard two of every species of dinosaurs to the ark only to have them then die out. Major fail.

Old 12-09-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:

This is not my inability to understand. This is me understanding all too well, and your inability to understand how what you are advocating denigrates God's character. The nature and character of God is reflected in His creation. If His creation is one of misery, suffering, disease, chaos, destruction, death, and failure, then what does that say about Him?
You very badly misunderstand. Furthermore, you reject, you flat out deny the overwhelming evidence for evolution because you can't reconcile it with your religious beliefs. Thankfully not all Christians are so . . .naive and have no problem reconciling evolution with God. Why then do you?

Old 12-09-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
You very badly misunderstand. Furthermore, you reject, you flat out deny the overwhelming evidence for evolution because you can't reconcile it with your religious beliefs.
It can't be done. I've asked you to do it multiple times.

In what way is the God of the Hebrews better than the gods of the ANE pagans?

What has God done for us that makes Him worthy of our obedience, love, devotion, and worship?

Quote:
Thankfully not all Christians are so . . .naive and have no problem reconciling evolution with God. Why then do you?
Because I haven't been taught how to do it. Please teach me. How is the god of evolution worthy of my fidelity?

Old 12-09-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
It can't be done. I've asked you to do it multiple times.

In what way is the God of the Hebrews better than the gods of the ANE pagans?

What has God done for us that makes Him worthy of our obedience, love, devotion, and worship?

Because I haven't been taught how to do it. Please teach me. How is the god of evolution worthy of my fidelity?
Yes it can be reconciled, and I did so back in post 25. It's simply a matter of knowing why the Bible says what it says, and that has to do with understanding the Bible in its ancient Near East context and the polemical aspects of the creation and flood stories. Things you should educate yourself about but which you probably never will.

As for your other questions, I told you that you will have to figure that out for yourself. My only concern on this thread is to state that the geological evidence disproves a global flood as any honest Geologist will attest to.

Old 12-09-2021, 04:12 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:

The bold from the man whose beliefs about God paint Him as a genocidal, egomaniac, with unending wrath and vengeance against His own finite creations for piddling reasons not worthy of a mere human Father let alone God. Your beliefs blaspheme the nature of God as revealed and unambiguously demonstrated by Jesus Christ on the Cross.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:44 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Noah's flood, like the act of creation itself, was a supernatural event.

We have no reason to believe that scientific methods would be effective in discerning anything about the act of creation or Noah's flood.
So, magic wins every time things don't make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity