Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:16 PM

286 posts, read 994,206 times

Advertisements

I'm interested to hear what other christians think of Joel Osteen and his ministry. Truthfully, he bothers me very much. I saw an interview that he did with Larry King and he danced around a very direct question that king asked about whether or not he believed Jesus was the ONLY way to heaven. He also asked if a muslim would go to heaven. Osteen was completely evasive and seemed so worried about offending anyone. He would not say that Jesus is THE way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 11:23 PM

KING: Is it hard to lead a Christian life?

OSTEEN: I don't think it's that hard. To me it's fun. We have joy and happiness. Our family -- I don't feel like that at all. I'm not trying to follow a set of rules and stuff. I'm just living my life.

KING: But you have rules, don't you?

OSTEEN: We do have rules. But the main rule to me is to honor God with your life. To life a life of integrity. Not be selfish. You know, help others. But that's really the essence of the Christian faith.

KING: That we live in deeds?

OSTEEN: I don't know. What do you mean by that?

KING: Because we've had ministers on who said, your record don't count. You either believe in Christ or you don't. If you believe in Christ, you are, you are going to heaven. And if you don't no matter what you've done in your life, you ain't.

OSTEEN: Yeah, I don't know. There's probably a balance between. I believe you have to know Christ. But I think that if you know Christ, if you're a believer in God, you're going to have some good works. I think it's a cop-out to say I'm a Christian but I don't ever do anything ...

KING: What if you're Jewish or Muslim, you don't accept Christ at all?

OSTEEN: You know, I'm very careful about saying who would and wouldn't go to heaven. I don't know ...

KING: If you believe you have to believe in Christ? They're wrong, aren't they?

OSTEEN: Well, I don't know if I believe they're wrong. I believe here's what the Bible teaches and from the Christian faith this is what I believe. But I just think that only God with judge a person's heart. I spent a lot of time in India with my father. I don't know all about their religion. But I know they love God. And I don't know. I've seen their sincerity. So I don't know. I know for me, and what the Bible teaches, I want to have a relationship with Jesus.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:24 PM

Isn't that kind of shocking? Coming from someone that is considered a top leader of the christian faith?

Old 08-27-2008, 11:45 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickc121 View Post
Isn't that kind of shocking? Coming from someone that is considered a top leader of the christian faith?
Not Really.

Billy Graham: From a Newsweek Interview
When asked whether he believes heaven will be closed to good Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus or secular people, though, Graham says: "Those are decisions only the Lord will make. It would be foolish for me to speculate on who will be there and who won't ... I don't want to speculate about all that. I believe the love of God is absolute. He said he gave his son for the whole world, and I think he loves everybody regardless of what label they have."

Bishop Katherine Jefferts-Schori (Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church) from a Time Magazine Interview

Q: Is belief in Jesus the only way to get to heaven?
A: We who practice the Christian tradition understand him as our vehicle to the divine. But for us to assume that God could not act in other ways is, I think, to put God in an awfully small box.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:51 PM

You don't think that he, being a christian leader, should believe that muslims are wrong? Jesus is quite clear on this subject and leaves no room for debate.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:59 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,055 times
Quote:
leaves no room for debate.
Well given that there has been debate on this consistently, I can't see how there could be no room for debate

I don't think we should ever presume to be able to tell who is or is not saved. We must always acknowledge our limitations, or possible limitations, including that perhaps, our understanding is incomplete.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:01 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
olsteen does a good job. a good preacher with a simple message. his wife is not his equal but that is ok.
jesus did not condemn those who were on their own spiritual path or try to prevent them from preaching and healing. why should we?

Old 08-28-2008, 12:11 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,626 times
I do not like to judge people, it is not in my nature and it is not my job, my job is to love my brothers and sissters in this world, the only one that gets to judge is God. ( which is good because if we judged each other hevan would be pretty empty)

Old 08-28-2008, 12:29 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,785,664 times
I love Joel Osteen and Lakewood Church !!! His preaching of the WORD inspires me to be my BEST and love others, no matter how poorly they treat me (and lately, it's been pretty bad on CDF !).

I remember watching Joel quite some time ago on Larry King and do not recall him saying anything that was opposite scripture, but I don't base my opinion of others on one tv interview . I base my opinion on 9+ yrs of his preaching, his books, and my studying scripture and seeking wisdom from the Holy Spirit.

Of course, as a mature Christian, I NEVER put my faith in man, because man will always fail and fall short. I put my FAITH in my Maker, my King, My God, My Lord, My Savior - Jesus Christ !!! And I hope and pray that other CHRISTians on here do too !

Old 08-28-2008, 07:10 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,732 times
Quote:
I'm interested to hear what other christians think of Joel Osteen and his ministry. Truthfully, he bothers me very much. I saw an interview that he did with Larry King and he danced around a very direct question that king asked about whether or not he believed Jesus was the ONLY way to heaven. He also asked if a muslim would go to heaven. Osteen was completely evasive and seemed so worried about offending anyone. He would not say that Jesus is THE way.
I go back and forth on Joel, I get his weekly podcast so I listen to almost all of his messages. I feel a lot of times like he is a great motivational speaker, but there isn't a whole lot of the Word integrated into his messages - seems only when it fits the point he is trying to make. Don't get me wrong, I continue to listen b/c it does often inspire me, but I feel as a true preacher, you need to exposit more, and have a passage of scripture and based on that passage, you relate what God is saying to everyday life. I just don't see Joel doing that hardly at all.

As for his stance on Jesus being the only way to heaven, I can kind of understand his avoidance of giving a straight answer. One of the most common questions skeptics - and Christians for that matter - have to cope w/is what about the person (whether it be in a secluded jungle in Africa or down the street) who has never heard the Gospel? I don't know about you, but my answer is, God knows there heart, and I believe in every person's heart, there is a longing to know God, and whether they accept God or reject Him, that is for God to judge. I think that is where Joel is going w/that answer, ultimately, Christians are only to judge the fruits of their fellow believers to really see if they are true believers and even then, it's on a limited basis. Outside of that, God is the judge of all humanity, not any of us. If a Muslim or Jew has been preached the gospel, and rejects it anyway, then I think God will hold them accountable for what they've heard. It's hard for me to judge a muslim in Asia when I've never been there let alone met them, that's while I'll leave that up to God. All I can do is do my best to make Jesus known to all the nations, beyond that, it's God that takes care of the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity