Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 01:31 AM

1,014 posts, read 479,277 times

Advertisements

That's the triviality of it all. Mother Mary. Jesus also said, to eat of his flesh, and drink of his blood, and whoever eats of his flesh and drinks his blood, have life in him. This is bad or confusing talk to anyone. John the gospel, King James bible section. They did ask him, how can we eat your body or flesh. This is hard saying. Canabalism. I just thought about it and I think the communion is what he meant. But it says to eat his body, and not bread. So that was tossed out. Not bread. Something else. But what?

How do you suppose we eat his flesh? He died. So eating his flesh would be poisonous and ridiculous to health. But he said to do it. Gone already is his flesh. I don't think any of the diciples chewed his body like he instructed them too. Jesus used his body to live on the earth as God in the flesh. They are counted as one. Where can I find more flesh to eat? I'm craving for this flesh. I think Jesus must have been delirious speaking this way to his diciples.

Last edited by tyCable; 01-07-2022 at 01:41 AM.. Reason: added eating of his flesh, second paragraph

Old 01-07-2022, 01:42 AM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyCable View Post
That's the triviality of it all. Mother Mary. Jesus also said, to eat of his flesh, and drink of his blood, and whoever eats of his flesh and drinks his blood, have life in him. This is bad or confusing talk to anyone. John the gospel, King James bible section. They did ask him, how can we eat your body or flesh. This is hard saying. Canabalism. I just thought about it and I think the communion is what he meant. But it says to eat his body, and not bread. So that was tossed out. Not bread. Something else. But what?

How do you suppose we eat his flesh? He died. So eating his flesh would be poisonous and ridiculous to health. But he said to do it. Gone already is his flesh. I don't think any of the diciples chewed his body like he instructed them too. Jesus used his body to live on the earth as God in the flesh. They are counted as one. Where can I find more flesh to eat? I'm craving for this flesh. I think Jesus must have been delirious speaking this way to his diciples.
Joh 6:48**I am that bread of life.
Joh 6:49**Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead.
Joh 6:50**This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die.
Joh 6:51**I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
Joh 6:52**The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat?
Joh 6:53**Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
Joh 6:54**Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
Joh 6:55**For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
Joh 6:56**He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.
Joh 6:57**As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.
Joh 6:58**This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.
Joh 6:59**These things said he in the synagogue, as he taught in Capernaum.

You are right when you say you think it is reference to the communion

Jesus is also referred to as the word

Old 01-07-2022, 05:39 AM

16,667 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
So what I'm getting from you is that either:

A) it's acceptable to believe that Scripture is infallible, but it's unacceptable to believe that the Church is infallible

or

B) it's not acceptable to believe that anything is infallible; neither Scripture nor the Church

Side note: yes, doctrine would be a more appropriate term
A. Neither one are correct.

B. Correct.

Old 01-07-2022, 05:40 AM

603 posts, read 573,335 times
Context is everything.

Link

There are other issues in Roman Catholicism related to Mary (their view of her as an immaculately conceived co-redeemer) but this isn't one.

Old 01-07-2022, 07:10 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
B) it's not acceptable to believe that anything is infallible; neither Scripture nor the Church
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
B. Correct.
You would posit a God who has given us nothing concrete to believe in. Why bother?

Old 01-07-2022, 07:14 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
I didn't say "distant", but the plain meaning of the text is that Mary genuinely did not understand how she could conceive a child when she had made a vow of virginity.

If she was expecting to have sexual relations soon, she wouldn't have bothered to ask how she could conceive as that would be obvious. She was not asking the angel for a lesson on the birds and the bees.
That is pure crazyness. There is no way she'd be pledged to get married if she'd taken that vow. And there is no mention of it at all.
Quote:

Centuries of Christians saw no contradiction between Scripture and the Perpetual Virginity of Mary, I don't see why I should see a contradiction. Centuries of Christians who were intimately familiar with Scripture saw no problem with the belief. Even Luther and Calvin had no problem with the belief.

Who was the first person to ever openly question it, and when?
To be fair, centuries of Christians had no clue what books were in the Bible, or could even read it, because it wasn't in their language. They had to trust a priest to tell them what it said. And, as you've indicated to us, the Catholic Church isn't real big on following it.

Old 01-07-2022, 07:16 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
A. Neither one are correct.

B. Correct.
In that case, the only acceptable thing to believe in that is infallible is one's own opinion.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:02 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That is pure crazyness. There is no way she'd be pledged to get married if she'd taken that vow. And there is no mention of it at all.
You're saying that the standard, normative, and uncontroversial belief of literally all of Christianity for 1500+ years was "crazyness". Would God allow the Church to persist in "crazyness" as dogma for so long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And, as you've indicated to us, the Catholic Church isn't real big on following it.
I take issue with you using this type of language, especially after all of the civil dialogue that we've had on this board. It's fine to disagree with Catholic interpretations of Scripture, but to say that we "don't follow it" is unfair - and you really ought to know better. When you do that, you're painting yourself as the infallible interpretive authority - Pope BaptistFundie, even if you don't intend to.

I disagree with many of your interpretations and in fact find some of them extremely dangerous; but I don't accuse you of "not following the Bible", because that would be ridiculous. You're following your interpretation of the Bible, just as the Catholic Church is following her interpretation of the Bible. We can't both be correct; but we're both trying our best, aren't we?

Old 01-07-2022, 12:13 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Has there be any scientific explanation of how a virgin can conceive?
In the occult world,a sucubus can have sex with a man and steal his semen ,give it to the incubus,who then have sex with a virgin and impregnate her
Well, science today can achieve a virgin birth with artificial insemination. Wonder why you never hear of it in those terms? Actually, a lay person can achieve it with a turkey baster. Maybe it's been done in history before.

But with Mary, we have to acknowledge it was a miracle, like so many others.

Old 01-07-2022, 12:24 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Well, science today can achieve a virgin birth with artificial insemination. Wonder why you never hear of it in those terms? Actually, a lay person can achieve it with a turkey baster. Maybe it's been done in history before.

But with Mary, we have to acknowledge it was a miracle, like so many others.
For me I accept the doctrine/teaching of the virgin birth that is in the gospel by faith and don’t dispute or argue about it

But as for Mary being an eternal virgin, I doubt it, but have never really been concerned about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity