Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 01:22 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,948,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Oh for Pete's sake, CCCyou. I can accept that virginity may have been necessary PRIOR to Jesus, but there is no conceivable way for it to have been possible AFTER the birth of Jesus through the birth canal!!!
I've got to agree with you, Mystic. I believe a woman could easily be consecrated to God and still have relations with her husband. In my opinion, there the two things are completely unrelated.

Old 01-08-2022, 01:26 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,948,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
It's the same principle as fasting or giving up any good thing as a sacrifice for our love of God. Nuns, monks, and [most] Priests take vows of celibacy. It's not because sex is bad. On the contrary, it's because sex is good that we can forego the pleasures of it for the purpose of the Kingdom.

A married woman is not defiled by having sex with her husband, as that is a proper thing to do for her state in life. However, if one had taken a vow of celibacy, then to engage in sexual activity would be a defilement as they have been consecrated to God.

We do believe that celibacy is a higher calling than marriage. However, that doesn't follow that there's anything wrong with marriage. Everyone has their own unique calling and gifts. I'm married myself and couldn't imagine taking a vow of celibacy, as it's not my calling. I have a great respect for those who can and do follow that call, as it is no doubt extremely difficult.

Marriage and having children comes along with its own set of sacrifices and difficulties, and it's not for everyone. The Catholic standards for marriage is a high calling as well.
I respectfully disagree, Mike, but I thank you for your explanation. Would you call this teaching (at least as it pertains to Mary), part of the "Sacred Tradition" that, while it is not expressly found in the scriptures, was taught as truth?

Old 01-08-2022, 05:18 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Would you call this teaching (at least as it pertains to Mary), part of the "Sacred Tradition" that, while it is not expressly found in the scriptures, was taught as truth?
Yes, the Perpetual Virginity of Mary is a dogma that every Catholic is bound to believe.

Old 01-08-2022, 05:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. I grew up Catholic. I know that Scripture is read in Mass. I've heard Catholic apologists say that the Mass is based on the book of Revelation. I've also heard a Catholic Bishop say that he's "not a Scripture guy." I've heard apologists say that Scripture is one of the 3 legs on the 3 legged stool, magisterium, and Tradition being the other 2. I didn't mean to suggest that they ignore it completely, but the church only views it as 1/3 of the equation.
The church does not believe in sola scriptura.

Interesting by the way - I grew up fundamentalist - LOL

Old 01-08-2022, 07:24 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,380,351 times
Quote:
Oh for Pete's sake, CCCyou. I can accept that virginity may have been necessary PRIOR to Jesus, but there is no conceivable way for it to have been possible AFTER the birth of Jesus through the birth canal!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I've got to agree with you, Mystic. I believe a woman could easily be consecrated to God and still have relations with her husband. In my opinion, there the two things are completely unrelated.
Certainly being married and having relations/children is a noble calling & vocation;
and there are various ways a couple can consecrate themselves/marriage to God, that don't involve persistent chastity,
and as EscAlaMike already mentioned, at least one (Josephite) that does.

Certainly not new or novel, remaining chaste is already well in practice by Essene culture centuries before Mary's time,
perhaps influencing both Mary and Joseph - even likely given that Mary was already 'filled with grace' upon the angels greeting.
This culture reads much more similar to the very early church, even John the Baptist, son of Elizabeth Mary's cousin.
Even read what Paul had to say along these lines:

"... I tell you, brothers, the time is running out. From now on, let those having wives act as not having them" 1 Cor 7:29

"...An unmarried woman or a virgin is anxious about the things of the Lord, so that she may be holy in both body and spirit.
A married woman, on the other hand, is anxious about the things of the world, how she may please her husband.
" 1 Cor 7:34

"...So then, the one who marries his virgin does well; the one who does not marry her will do better. " 1 Cor 7:38

Paul even says "Everyone should remain in the state in which he was called." (v.20)
No doubt that Mary certainly had a very different/high calling from the onset.

Old 01-08-2022, 08:35 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Certainly being married and having relations/children is a noble calling & vocation;
and there are various ways a couple can consecrate themselves/marriage to God, that don't involve persistent chastity,
and as EscAlaMike already mentioned, at least one (Josephite) that does.

Certainly not new or novel, remaining chaste is already well in practice by Essene culture centuries before Mary's time,
perhaps influencing both Mary and Joseph - even likely given that Mary was already 'filled with grace' upon the angels greeting.
This culture reads much more similar to the very early church, even John the Baptist, son of Elizabeth Mary's cousin.
Even read what Paul had to say along these lines:

"... I tell you, brothers, the time is running out. From now on, let those having wives act as not having them" 1 Cor 7:29

"...An unmarried woman or a virgin is anxious about the things of the Lord, so that she may be holy in both body and spirit.
A married woman, on the other hand, is anxious about the things of the world, how she may please her husband.
" 1 Cor 7:34

"...So then, the one who marries his virgin does well; the one who does not marry her will do better. " 1 Cor 7:38

Paul even says "Everyone should remain in the state in which he was called." (v.20)
No doubt that Mary certainly had a very different/high calling from the onset.
::Sigh:: Aversion to sexual relations is neither a healthy nor holy state of mind, CCCyou, no matter what the Essenes or Catholics or any other culture or religion believes.

Old 01-10-2022, 07:30 AM

Quote:
::Sigh:: Aversion to sexual relations is neither a healthy nor holy state of mind, CCCyou, no matter what the Essenes or Catholics or any other culture or religion believes.
Where did you get "aversion" from? CCCyou didn't say anything about an aversion to sexual relations.

Old 01-10-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Where did you get "aversion" from? CCCyou didn't say anything about an aversion to sexual relations.
What do YOU think he meant by remaining chaste, Mike????

Old 01-10-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
What do YOU think he meant by remaining chaste, Mike????
I won't speak for CCCyou, but chastity and celibacy are not necessarily the same thing. Chastity simply means living one's sexuality in accordance with one's state in life. A married couple who are sexually active can and ought to live chastely. Celibacy means abstaining from sex.

Celibate Catholics don't abstain from sex because they have an aversion to sex. They abstain precisely because sex is good and pleasurable, and pleasurable things can be given up as a sacrifice for the good of the Kingdom.

Old 01-10-2022, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I won't speak for CCCyou, but chastity and celibacy are not necessarily the same thing. Chastity simply means living one's sexuality in accordance with one's state in life. A married couple who are sexually active can and ought to live chastely. Celibacy means abstaining from sex.

Celibate Catholics don't abstain from sex because they have an aversion to sex. They abstain precisely because sex is good and pleasurable, and pleasurable things can be given up as a sacrifice for the good of the Kingdom.
You are aware that this is the year 2022 NOT 1822, right Mike?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity