Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2022, 08:55 AM

4,085 posts, read 872,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1689dave View Post
Where do you get that Idea?
God wants us to choose to love Him.

John 7:17 Anyone who chooses to do the will of God will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own.

James 4:4 You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

Isaiah 65:11-12 "But as for you who forsake the LORD and forget my holy mountain, who spread a table for Fortune and fill bowls of mixed wine for Destiny, I will destine you for the sword, and you will all bend down for the slaughter; for I called but you did not answer, I spoke but you did not listen. You did evil in my sight and chose what displeases me."

1 Peter 4:3 For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do--living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry.

Joshua 24:15 But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

Deuteronomy 30:19 This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live

We have a choice.

Quote:
We hate God and love our idols unless God gives us a supernatural change of heart. It's not in us to change. “And the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live.” Deuteronomy 30:6 (KJV 1900)
God circumcises our heart by our obeying His words and His words are that we repent of our sins.

Ezekiel 18:31 Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, people of Israel?

Not all only hate God and love sin.
We are flesh and spirit.
Some people want more out of this life than pleasing their flesh with sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightfame52 View Post
Those God Loves shall love Him, 1 Jn 4:18-19
God loves those who love Him.

John 15:10 If you obey my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commandments and remain in his love.

John 14:21 The person who has my commandments and obeys them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and will reveal myself to him."

John 14:23 Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.

Proverbs 8:17 I love those who love me,

1 Samuel 2:30 "Therefore the LORD, the God of Israel, declares: 'I promised that members of your family would minister before me forever.'But now the LORD declares: 'Far be it from me! Those who honor me I will honor, but those who despise me will be disdained.

Psalm 91:14 "Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.

Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Psalm 145:20 The LORD watches over all who love him, but all the wicked he will destroy.

James 1:12 Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightfame52 View Post

1 Jn 4:18-19

18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

19 We love him, because he first loved us.
God loves His creation, the world.
So that is God loving "us" as in us in general.

John 14:31 but I am doing just what the Father commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father. Get up, let us go from here."

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

1 John 2:2 and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.

God doesn't even know you personally unless you obey Him.

1 Corinthians 8:3 But whoever loves God is known by God; and 2 John 1:6 And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands.

1 John 2:4 Whoever says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Martin Luther overthrew the notion of free will with this simple point.

Paul teaches, Rom. vii. and Gal. v., that there is in the saints, and in the godly, so powerful a warfare between the spirit and the flesh, that they cannot do what they would. From this warfare I argue thus:

If the nature of man be so evil, even in those who are born again of the Spirit, that it does not only not endeavour after good, but is even averse to, and militates against good, how should it endeavour after good in those who are not born again of the Spirit, and who are still in the "old man," and serve under Satan?

Luther, Martin. The Bondage of the Will (p. 162). Neeland Media LLC. Kindle Edition.
When Paul taught about those who can't obey, he was speaking about someone under the law without faith, and he was talking about the person of the flesh who only wants to please the flesh with sin.

Not everyone only wants to do that.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:50 AM

4,625 posts, read 1,170,418 times
Quote:
Martin Luther overthrew the notion of free will with this simple point.

Paul teaches, Rom. vii. and Gal. v., that there is in the saints, and in the godly, so powerful a warfare between the spirit and the flesh, that they cannot do what they would. From this warfare I argue thus:

If the nature of man be so evil, even in those who are born again of the Spirit, that it does not only not endeavour after good, but is even averse to, and militates against good, how should it endeavour after good in those who are not born again of the Spirit, and who are still in the "old man," and serve under Satan?

Luther, Martin. The Bondage of the Will (p. 162). Neeland Media LLC. Kindle Edition.
Yeah I agree with Luther. I read his book bondage of the will many years ago.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:04 PM

23,138 posts, read 10,431,246 times
I dont think I believe in free will because there is no time as Einstein said, time is an illusion.

The past, present and future have already been, if you were on a planet 65 million light years from Earth, you could literally watch the asteroid hit earth, and you would see living dinosaurs before they died.

What will be exists already, besides that, everyone in the bible had to do and say exactly what they said and did BECAUSE IT WAS WRITTEN, THE FUTURE KNOWN BECAUSE IT EXISTS AND WAS WRITTEN TO HAPPEN AND NO EVENT COULD HAVE FAILED

Old 08-24-2022, 04:12 AM

God made us with free will to do good or evil. When Adam sinned sin entered the world, and we became like God knowing good and evil.

Genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

God wants us to choose to love Him; He wants us to choose to do right.
There is eternal life with God one day without sin and sickness and death.
We have to choose what we want for ourselves now so that we can have that life with God through Jesus Christ.

Old 08-24-2022, 04:42 AM

923 posts, read 237,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
God made us with free will to do good or evil. When Adam sinned sin entered the world, and we became like God knowing good and evil.

Genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

God wants us to choose to love Him; He wants us to choose to do right.
There is eternal life with God one day without sin and sickness and death.
We have to choose what we want for ourselves now so that we can have that life with God through Jesus Christ.
Here is Martin Luther's view of free will. Paul teaches, Rom. vii. and Gal. v., that there is in the saints, and in the godly, so powerful a warfare between the spirit and the flesh, that they cannot do what they would. From this warfare I argue thus:

Old 08-24-2022, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Here is Martin Luther's view of free will. Paul teaches, Rom. vii. and Gal. v., that there is in the saints, and in the godly, so powerful a warfare between the spirit and the flesh, that they cannot do what they would. From this warfare I argue thus:

Luther and Calvin and all sects from them teach wrong about the condition of humans.

We are spirit and flesh and not all only want to please their flesh with sin.

People are taught wrong about many scriptures.

For instance, Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Jeremiah explains that of all things that can be wicked, the heart is the worst.

That doesn't mean all human hearts are so wicked.

If all hearts were so wicked then what would God be searching our hearts for?

Read this scripture, it is another one that people are taught wrong:

Jeremiah 13:23 Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil.

Not everyone is only accustomed to doing evil.

People are taught wrong and some even are told that we can't believe and obey God until after God causes to without our wanting or knowing. However, God does not save unbelievers.

Just God hardening some people is proof that we can believe and obey God before we are saved and so that we can get saved.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:14 AM

923 posts, read 237,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
Luther and Calvin and all sects from them teach wrong about the condition of humans.

We are spirit and flesh and not all only want to please their flesh with sin.

People are taught wrong about many scriptures.

For instance, Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Jeremiah explains that of all things that can be wicked, the heart is the worst.

That doesn't mean all human hearts are so wicked.

If all hearts were so wicked then what would God be searching our hearts for?

Read this scripture, it is another one that people are taught wrong:

Jeremiah 13:23 Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil.

Not everyone is only accustomed to doing evil.

People are taught wrong and some even are told that we can't believe and obey God until after God causes to without our wanting or knowing. However, God does not save unbelievers.

Just God hardening some people is proof that we can believe and obey God before we are saved and so that we can get saved.
You cannot believe until God saves you. Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. Did you ever consider that you steal God's glory in salvation and heap it on yourself thinking as you do? This spells big trouble for you.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:29 AM

553 posts, read 172,088 times
Quote:
You cannot believe until God saves you. Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. Did you ever consider that you steal God's glory in salvation and heap it on yourself thinking as you do? This spells big trouble for you.
Why? If you are Calvinist then nothing anyone does, says, believes, espouses or proclaims has any bearing for what happens to the person in the end. The whole system amounts to abject irrelevance regarding the fate of any particular individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity