Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 04:33 PM

4,646 posts, read 1,196,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosixx View Post
Hence my original question. If Christ did all the work, please show me scriptures where the apostles talk about Jesus's "Finished Work".
You have seen scripture and dont believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 05:19 PM

444 posts, read 113,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Philip is recorded as baptizing the Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8:26-40.
That is correct.

Paul (and others) baptized Corinthians in Acts 18:8 Crispus, the ruler of the synagogue, believed in the Lord, together with his entire household. And many of the Corinthians hearing Paul believed and were baptized.

Old 03-01-2022, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Believe
The devil believes.

What about Jesus's words? Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved,

Is Jesus adding to just believe?

Old 03-01-2022, 05:27 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,809,545 times
Quote:
The devil believes.

So, this is just another in a long line of “is baptism required for salvation” threads. Why didn’t you lead with that?

Old 03-01-2022, 05:29 PM

33,305 posts, read 26,506,892 times
Quote:
The devil believes.

How many times do you need to be told? Jesus didn't say that. Mark 16:9-20, including Mark 16:16, is not a part of the Bible. Mark didn't write it. It was a later addition to the end of Mark's gospel along with other different endings. You keep quoting a verse which is not original to the Bible. Apparently you intend to keep on quoting it.

Old 03-01-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
So, this is just another in a long line of “is baptism required for salvation” threads. Why didn’t you lead with that?
That's exactly what he's doing.

Old 03-01-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightfame52 View Post
You have seen scripture and dont believe.
You gave me 2 scriptures.

1st verse is from a passage that tells us how Jesus is greater than the angels.

2nd one was from a passage about the love of God.
Romans 8:35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? 36 As it is written,

“For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”

37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I fully understand that Jesus's sacrifice paid the price for my sins. I cannot find a passage where the apostles teach of this doctrine that I don't need to do anything because of the "finished work" of Jesus.

I'm sorry but the evidence put forward thus far does not support it. I really want to understand it if it is true.

Old 03-01-2022, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
How many times do you need to be told? Jesus didn't say that. Mark 16:9-20, including Mark 16:16, is not a part of the Bible. Mark didn't write it. It was a later addition to the end of Mark's gospel along with other different endings. You keep quoting a verse which is not original to the Bible. Apparently you intend to keep on quoting it.
Let's say it's not part of the bible. When we read the FIRST and LAST recorded conversions, the believers are baptized just as Mark 16:16 says. In the last one, they were already baptized (incorrectly) and needed to be baptized properly before receiving Spiritual gifts.

You can choose to say it's not part of the bible but all the recorded conversions support it..

You didn't address Acts 19.

Old 03-01-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I honestly wanted to learn about the doctrine of "finished work" of Jesus but someone said you can't "add" so I asked if being baptized is adding. Of course, they said it was adding so to dispute "finished work" I had to provide proof that it's "believe and be baptized to be saved".

SORRY

Old 03-01-2022, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Let's say it's not part of the bible. When we read the FIRST and LAST recorded conversions, the believers are baptized just as Mark 16:16 says. In the last one, they were already baptized (incorrectly) and needed to be baptized properly before receiving Spiritual gifts.

You can choose to say it's not part of the bible but all the recorded conversions support it..
Scholars have long known that Mark 16:9-20 is not original to the Gospel of Mark. There are at least three alternate endings to Mark which were added later.

Acts cannot be used to make doctrine whether a person receives the Holy Spirit before or after a person is water baptized because as you've been shown different groups of people -Jews, Gentiles, and Samaritans, as well as the undefined 'disciples in Acts 19 received the Holy Spirit at different times relative to water baptism. Again, the Jews received the Holy Spirit after water baptism. The Gentiles received the Holy Spirit before being water baptized. The Samaritans didn't receive the Holy Spirit even after being water baptized but had to wait for Peter and John to come and lay hands on them. And the undefined 'disciples' in Acts 19 likewise didn't receive the Holy Spirit after being water baptized in the name of Jesus but after Paul laid hands on them.

And, if you will notice, in Acts 19:2 Paul asked them if they had received the Holy Spirit when they believed. Not when they were baptized, but when they believed. And that is the norm for the Church-age. But the book of Acts covers the first 30 years or so of the church which was a transitional period transitioning from the age of Israel to the Church-age. And that's why the Jews had to be baptized before receiving the Holy Spirit, and the Gentiles received the Holy Spirit before being water baptized, and the Samaritans and the undefined disciples in Acts chapter 19 had to have an apostle come and lay hands on them before receiving the Holy Spirit.

You really need to do some studying on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity