Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 08:35 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
It may be man made tradition but it’s not a biblical one.
Genesis 3:19 "For you are dust, and to dust you shall return"
Jonah 3:6 & 10 "When the news reached the king of Nineveh, he rose from his throne, laid aside his robe, covered himself with sackcloth, and sat in ashes." and Nineveh was spared.
& Jeremiah 6:26, Daniel 9:3, Matthew 11:21 , Luke 10:13

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2023, 10:08 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
It may be man made tradition but it’s not a biblical one. The only purpose of the ashes on the forehead is vanity. They let you show the world how pious you are. You can’t see them on your forehead unless you’re looking in a mirror but you sure can show them to everyone else. Seems rather silly…
I was not raised in an Ash Wednesday church, but it's supposed to be the opposite of how pious you are, isn't? You allow yourself to walk around looking like a doofus with dirt on your head for humility, not to show off. I have gone to Episcopal Ash Wednesday services. It's all about remembering that you are nothing.

By the way, we had an Indian guy at work who had a dark birthmark right smack in the middle of his forehead. We secretly called him "Ash Wednesday". We are probably going to hell for that.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:27 AM

1,810 posts, read 898,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was not raised in an Ash Wednesday church, but it's supposed to be the opposite of how pious you are, isn't? You allow yourself to walk around looking like a doofus with dirt on your head for humility, not to show off. I have gone to Episcopal Ash Wednesday services. It's all about remembering that you are nothing.

By the way, we had an Indian guy at work who had a dark birthmark right smack in the middle of his forehead. We secretly called him "Ash Wednesday". We are probably going to hell for that.

If you go to hell for calling someone “Ash Wednesday” I guess I better repent.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:29 AM

1,810 posts, read 898,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Genesis 3:19 "For you are dust, and to dust you shall return"
Jonah 3:6 & 10 "When the news reached the king of Nineveh, he rose from his throne, laid aside his robe, covered himself with sackcloth, and sat in ashes." and Nineveh was spared.
& Jeremiah 6:26, Daniel 9:3, Matthew 11:21 , Luke 10:13

He sat in the ashes. He didn’t have someone put a smudge on his forehead. Big difference.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:43 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,692 times
Quote:
He sat in the ashes. He didn’t have someone put a smudge on his forehead. Big difference.
you strain out a gnat, yet swallow a camel, whole!

Old 02-23-2023, 10:54 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
If you go to hell for calling someone “Ash Wednesday” I guess I better repent.
Fortunately, I suspect the place might not actually exist, despite the apparent excitement of some believers over the idea that others are going there!

Old 02-23-2023, 11:10 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
I never understood how anyone would think it's a good thing to mark their face with ash and announce to the world what they're doing.

I'm reminded of Matthew 6:16-19 "“And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

Old 02-23-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Fortunately, I suspect the place might not actually exist, despite the apparent excitement of some believers over the idea that others are going there!
Wow...so you deny hell now?

Old 02-23-2023, 11:16 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I never understood how anyone would think it's a good thing to mark their face with ash and announce to the world what they're doing.

I'm reminded of Matthew 6:16-19 "“And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."
It's for humility. It's definitely not to show off.

Also, Jesus was talking about fasting above (obviously).

Old 02-23-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
It's for humility. It's definitely not to show off.

Also, Jesus was talking a out fasting above (obviously).
Yes, Jesus talked about fasting. And he specifically told us NOT to mark ourselves to demonstrate humility, but instead to wash our faces and go about life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity