Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 12:39 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,936,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
By the way, we had an Indian guy at work who had a dark birthmark right smack in the middle of his forehead. We secretly called him "Ash Wednesday". We are probably going to hell for that.
It’s called a bindi.

No way I would ever receive a mark on my forehead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 04:00 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Yes; they require fasting regularly throughout the year and more intensely during Lent. However, I don't believe the Orthodox churches bind their faithful to the fasts under pain of sin as the Catholic Church does - but I could be wrong.
It's either a sin or it isn't. No matter what the Catholic or the Orthodox Churches say.

Old 02-24-2023, 04:23 PM

88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
It’s called a bindi.

No way I would ever receive a mark on my forehead.
LOL, no, it wasn't a bindi. It was a natural birthmark, a spot of dark pigment.

Old 02-24-2023, 05:13 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It's either a sin or it isn't. No matter what the Catholic or the Orthodox Churches say.
Well, nowhere in the Bible doesn't say it's a sin to not fast on those days so I vote for, not a sin.

Old 02-24-2023, 05:14 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
. They always do!

My grandmother gave us candy. I know there are 11 Lifesavers in a roll because of church. I would eat the first one at 11:05. Kept my eye on the clock, because I could have one every 5 minutes, and when they were gone it was noon and church was over or close to it! Then home for a big dinner.

Sunday really was a family day for us, which I don't think is as common anymore as it was back in the 1960s.
OMG that's what my grandmother did too. Fed us lemon drops.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:56 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Not true. The Church has legitimate authority to bind its members to certain rules under pain of sin.

It's just like a parent and child relationship. It's no sin for my son to go to his friend's house. But if I expressly tell him that he may not, then he would be committing sin by going there - the sin of disobedience.

The sin in the case of the required fast/abstinence is not the act of eating itself; but rather the act of disobedience.

Old 02-25-2023, 12:44 AM

4,859 posts, read 450,647 times
Quote:
Not true. The Church has legitimate authority to bind its members to certain rules under pain of sin.

It's just like a parent and child relationship. It's no sin for my son to go to his friend's house. But if I expressly tell him that he may not, then he would be committing sin by going there - the sin of disobedience.

The sin in the case of the required fast/abstinence is not the act of eating itself; but rather the act of disobedience.
A priest-professor of mine told us a true story: as a young man right after ordination, his parents sent him on a trip to Rome. Some guys, seminarians, he already knew from the States, met him, and they went to dinner. This was in the old days when meat on Friday was forbidden. They sat down and Charlie checked out the menu. He was about to order the fish. It was Friday. And they all said to him, all together, as one voice: "No, no no. Don't get the fish. The fish is terrible here. Get a steak."

The Roman Church likes to make tons of rules about everything. Sometimes, they function as good and pious ideas.

On the other hand, the Presbyterian Church (USA) has its own book of rules: "The Book of Order." It is a book filled with rules with no teeth. The rules are written to be so flexible, it's absurd.

Old 02-25-2023, 01:46 AM

1 posts, read 150 times
I am Catholic. I believe in getting Ashes on Ash Wednesday. I think it is a great way to start Lent.
It has been a tradition in my family for years since I was a small child. I think it is a very important reminder that from "dust we came and to dust we will return" and we have forty days during Lent to reflect on the torturing of Jesus Christ. With prayer, devotion and penance. Self-discipline by fasting and abstinence is the least you can do to honor Jesus Christ for dying on the cross for our salvation.
Of course, all this is our Catholic upbringing. I do not discriminate against other religions. In fact, my parents encouraged us to check out other religions when we were growing up. I have visited, participated and enjoyed churches of other regions. I very much respect other religions. I wish others would do the same.
Everyone has a right to his beliefs. God bless all.

Old 02-25-2023, 06:15 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:

That's just plain nuts.

Old 02-25-2023, 06:24 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times
Quote:

I disagree The church has Zero authority. The church might think (mistakenly) that it has some authority, but in the need, the last thing the church sees is someone walking away and maybe a third Phalange. i have demonstrated this many times.

Your son might be accountable to you for his behavior. I am a father too so I dealt with that growing up. But a church has no authority. They may not like my ghost T shirt or involvement in the rituals, but hey, at the end of the day, they do not have to like it but there is really nothing at all they can do about it. They are powerless and have no authority.

Amen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity