Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2022, 02:28 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,851,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Fear does not cause one to come towards that which they fear but causes one either to flight or fight and neither of those is wisdom.

Thus if the scriptures are going to make any sense at all then they are speaking of reverential awe of God.
It is speaking of reverential awe; but it is also speaking of terror (2 Corinthians 5:11 (kjv));

Which does not motivate us to run from God, in context of the passage, but in context of the passage it motivates us to win as many people as possible that we can to Christ.

2Co 5:11, Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 02:55 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,397,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
It is speaking of reverential awe; but it is also speaking of terror (2 Corinthians 5:11 (kjv));

Which does not motivate us to run from God, in context of the passage, but in context of the passage it motivates us to win as many people as possible that we can to Christ.

2Co 5:11, Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.
You are walking through the woods and you come upon a mad bear. Are you going to run up to it and give it a loving embrace or are you going to try and hide from it, run from it or worse case scenario fight it? Only an idiot would run to it and give it a loving embrace.

The type of fear you espouse causes either fight or flight.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:01 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,851,123 times
Quote:
You are walking through the woods and you come upon a mad bear. Are you going to run up to it and give it a loving embrace or are you going to try and hide from it, run from it or worse case scenario fight it? Only an idiot would run to it and give it a loving embrace.

The type of fear you espouse causes either fight or flight.
Change that to lion and we have a story.

Aslan, in the Chronicles of Narnia, is not a tame lion; but he is a good lion.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Terror here is speaking of reverence, thus knowing the reverence of the lord we persuade men......

Old 04-04-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Change that to lion and we have a story.

Aslan, in the Chronicles of Narnia, is not a tame lion; but he is a good lion.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:14 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,327,329 times
Quote:
Terror here is speaking of reverence, thus knowing the reverence of the lord we persuade men......
Anyone who believes the KJV is more reliable than the original translations cannot be taken seriously.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Anyone who believes the KJV is more reliable than the original translations cannot be taken seriously.
To rely on the kJv or any translations made by man without taking them back to the original languages causes one to miss out on the nuances in the original languages.

His quote from the kJv here is a perfect example. The kJv says terror but when one looks that word up in the Greek for that scripture it is speaking of the reverence a wife has for her husband. It is speaking love and union and doing things asked out of love and union.

However because the kJv miss that by translating it as terror what you get instead of doing things out of love and reverence you come away with the idea that you have to do it because you are afraid not to. It would very much be like a wife who married a husband that beat her every time she did not do as he told her. can any woman reverence a husband who beats them every time she is disobedient? I think not.

Yet that is exactly what Jbf is telling everyone.

The church is the bride of Christ, think about it.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:59 PM

11,902 posts, read 3,718,016 times
Quote:
Quote:
To rely on the kJv or any translations made by man without taking them back to the original languages causes one to miss out on the nuances in the original languages.

His quote from the kJv here is a perfect example. The kJv says terror but when one looks that word up in the Greek for that scripture it is speaking of the reverence a wife has for her husband. It is speaking love and union and doing things asked out of love and union.

However because the kJv miss that by translating it as terror what you get instead of doing things out of love and reverence you come away with the idea that you have to do it because you are afraid not to. It would very much be like a wife who married a husband that beat her every time she did not do as he told her. can any woman reverence a husband who beats them every time she is disobedient? I think not.

Nicely expressed pneuma

Whether it is KJV or the originals I think there needs to be a willingness to understand the meaning by both parties

Anyone who is more interested in only the literal/letter or in trying to prove themselves right by cut and pasting over the meaning contained within the stories can not be taken seriously in my opinion

I really admire you and pcamps for your persistence here which I lack unfortunately

I just don’t have the stamina and fortitude to continuing arguing with someone who I know is going to oppose everything I say, I prefer to stop the cycle as it is not a discussion it is an argument, I personally have never liked arguments and we all have our individual styles and areas that we work best in

Old 04-04-2022, 03:59 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,327,329 times
Quote:

So a scripture that is often used by ministers of condemnation is actually something beautiful. They can't accept it be so, because if they do, their ministry falls apart.

Old 04-04-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
So a scripture that is often used by ministers of condemnation is actually something beautiful. They can't accept it be so, because if they do, their ministry falls apart.
Correct and if the truth be told all scripture when properly understood is something beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity