Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you identify most closely with?
Imputed righteousness 8 66.67%
Infused righteousness 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 09:47 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,840,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
Like I said, He is not denying, He is saying He is not alone as the son of man like Christianity believes.

And if He is not alone as the son of man then He is not the only son of God either.
He is the only begotten Son (capital "S") of God.

But I will agree with you that He is also the firstbegotten of the Father (Hebrews 1:6)...

Because others are also begotten of God (1 Peter 1:3).

Jesus is Unique in His Sonship in that His physical body was a union of the Holy Ghost and the egg that resided in the womb of the virgin Mary.

We are begotten in that we receive His Spirit and His Spirit becomes one with our spirit when we are born again (1 Corinthians 6:17, Ephesians 3:19-20) through faith in Jesus Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 04:11 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,267,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Have you read Romans? Read chapters 1-5. It clearly states that we're all sinners, and in Adam we all sin, but in Christ we're made alive. Yes, we inherit original sin from Adam. And yes, Christ imputes righteousness to us.
We’ve already beaten this topic to death in other threads. Imho, you misinterpret Romans and do not take into consideration the whole counsel of God. Have you read Ezekiel 18? According to you, all infants and children are born sinners, which means they are separated from God. If they die, they are destined to suffer eternal suffering. Yet, Jesus said we should become as little children to enter heaven. I’m not interested in rehashing your Calvinist doctrine.

Old 05-20-2022, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
TBH = to be honest

The terminology -- to credit to one's account, to "count" the believer as righteous etc., is analogous to bookkeeping. As if each person has an account of (un)righteous acts which is hopelessly in negative territory unless god's infinite righteousness is applied to that account.

I was simply agreeing with you and confirming that this is the typical mainstream teaching of evangelical Christians concerning how salvation (but not sanctification) works.
Thanks for explaining. To be clear, I do not identify with the evangelical crowd anymore than I do the Catholics.

Old 05-20-2022, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, I'd say that Mormonism believes something along the same lines. I've heard it explained as working as if I were opening a joint bank account with someone who had an infinite amount of money and I had just a few dollars and was hopelessly in debt. It's not as if someone who had an infinite amount of money just gave me all theirs and paid off all my debts. It would be a joint account and both of our assets and our debts would be taken into account.

When I enter into a covenant relationship with Jesus Christ (when I am baptized and receive the Holy Ghost, according to Mormonism), I become "a new person 'in Christ'." I am responsible to do my best to be obedient and faithful to Him, but anything I lack, He will make up. I don't just assume that since He is willing to do that, that I'm just free to behave any way I want.

That's how I believe salvation (or justification) works. Sanctification is mine through His grace in enabling me to do what I could not do on my own -- becoming like Him, especially in learning to love as He does.
Well said!

Old 05-20-2022, 05:42 AM

8,039 posts, read 1,840,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
We’ve already beaten this topic to death in other threads. Imho, you misinterpret Romans and do not take into consideration the whole counsel of God. Have you read Ezekiel 18? According to you, all infants and children are born sinners, which means they are separated from God. If they die, they are destined to suffer eternal suffering. Yet, Jesus said we should become as little children to enter heaven. I’m not interested in rehashing your Calvinist doctrine.
Yes, infants are born sinners. They are a part of the "all" in Romans 3:23; and Psalms 58:3 also shows clearly that they go astray, speaking lies, as soon as they are born.

Which is not to say that children are condemned.

For I believe that in Romans 7:9, we can find the doctrine of the age of accountability.

In that children who do not know the law are not held accountable for their sin.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:15 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:
My doctrine is Biblical doctrine. Honestly, I've never read Calvin.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:05 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,098,410 times
I never heard of this bookkeeping business either. These theological concepts on how we "obtain righteousness" from God are theories of the RC and reformers. Martin Luther said humans are big piles of feces and God's righteousness covers us like a fresh snowfall covers the feces. What a way to try to explain God's work.

Where in all this theorizing do we find the Holy Spirit that gives us the ability to know Christ and follow his teachings?

The human mind never rests. We can let it drift where it will or train it in a straight path toward the Truth.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:45 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Thanks for explaining. To be clear, I do not identify with the evangelical crowd anymore than I do the Catholics.
Ugh, me either. My pastor said he doesn't even like the term "Christian" anymore. He prefers Kingdom follower or Jesus follower. Can't say I disagree, considering all that's happened in "that" name.

Old 05-21-2022, 10:34 AM

3,220 posts, read 924,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
He is the only begotten Son (capital "S") of God.

But I will agree with you that He is also the firstbegotten of the Father (Hebrews 1:6)...

Because others are also begotten of God (1 Peter 1:3).

Jesus is Unique in His Sonship in that His physical body was a union of the Holy Ghost and the egg that resided in the womb of the virgin Mary.

We are begotten in that we receive His Spirit and His Spirit becomes one with our spirit when we are born again (1 Corinthians 6:17, Ephesians 3:19-20) through faith in Jesus Christ.
In God’s eye there is only one Son. That son is many people but God recognizes only one voice and that is His word. His Son is the prophets who act in truth and walk in the light. Sure Jesus was special because He was actually God acting as the Son. But God sees those who believe in Him and continue in His word and the righteous who keep His commandments.

“Keep the commandments of the LORD by walking in His ways and revering Him.”

Old 05-22-2022, 08:00 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,336,634 times
[quote=5-all;63468751]I never heard of this bookkeeping business either. These theological concepts on how we "obtain righteousness" from God are theories of the RC and reformers. Martin Luther said humans are big piles of feces and God's righteousness covers us like a fresh snowfall covers the feces. What a way to try to explain God's work.

Where in all this theorizing do we find the Holy Spirit that gives us the ability to know Christ and follow his teachings?

The human mind never rests. We can let it drift where it will or train it in a straight path toward the Truth.[/QUOTE]

Well said.
Let's pray we all assist each other toward that TRUTH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity