Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 11:12 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times

Advertisements

Great OP! I am so glad somebody is bringing public attention to such a critical issue. I have been question the "Evangelical" move for a while and it is nice to know I am not the only one. I have been seeking the truth, but wondering if I were crazy to question the teachings of ministers and evangelist I consider to be far more mature in Christianity than myself. I study the Bible for myself, but sometimes struggle when I hear popular teachers and pastors put their own self-serving slant on it or they may just be an error. I thank God for this topic of discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 08:43 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,155 times
Just one sad (IMO) note to offer...

In a recent poll, 57% of those who identified as Evangelical said there is more than one way to God or Jesus was not necessary to reach God. 57% ! That is shocking to me. My, how the truth has been traded for a lie so that itchy ears may be scratched .

Old 09-22-2008, 08:48 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Default I think they're Sadducees... (sad, you see???)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Why don't all of us preach Jesus and the cross, magnify him, worship him and stop worrying about everybody else. These guys that think they are God's divinely appointed hitmen scare me. I've read MacArthur's books and haven't been impressed.

It is God's place to shake his church, not these men. The Church in America is lukewarm, there's no denying that, but the way out is to pray, repent and preach the Good News in its simplicity. Stop worrying about what others are doing and do the good work of the gospel. Mind your own house, God is big enough to take care of His own.
Amen, Saintmarks.

everyone will stand before the judgment seat of Christ and give an account...

Last edited by World Citizen; 09-22-2008 at 08:58 AM..

Old 09-23-2008, 10:49 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,172,345 times
I watched a part of that video. May I suggest that the concept of the evangelical church is fighting for it's life is a bit of a misnomer?

It implies that she might die. When in fact she cannot die. The Lord God is her head and the gates of hell will not prevail against her.

Rather may I suggest that evangelical Christianity as we have known it to be and it's associated church traditions (which have drifted from God's blueprint of how church should be) is in danger of dying. I don't neccessarily see that as a bad thing if the shake up happening results in the Church becoming once again what it was meant to be, by God.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
it is astounding how much jerry falwell has much in common with mid east fundamentalism. ads new dimension to the expression "let me get you a towel".

Old 09-24-2008, 04:35 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,467 times
I hate to ask a dumb question, but is there an actual Evangelical Church with that name as an organized religion or is the video just talking about a classification of Christians that actually comprises of many religions?

Old 09-24-2008, 05:08 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
I hate to ask a dumb question, but is there an actual Evangelical Church with that name as an organized religion or is the video just talking about a classification of Christians that actually comprises of many religions?
I believe it is referring to "evangelical church" in the general sense. Don't feel bad - you're not alone in not understanding the term: Definition of the term "Evangelical"

Old 09-24-2008, 05:42 AM
juj

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I believe it is referring to "evangelical church" in the general sense. Don't feel bad - you're not alone in not understanding the term: Definition of the term "Evangelical"
I understand the term evangelical, but the video used the term Evangelical Church as if it were an entity and I didn't know if there was an organized denomination with that name.

I guess then, my next question is, how do you lump all these different people together as one group when they are so varying in their beliefs? The man wonders why Christians are straying from the truth. With so many denominations involved and all their different teachings, how can they possibly be on the same page?

Protestantism has a lot similiarities to the Big Bang theory. The Protestant denominations are all spreading outward in all directions and will probably never will come back together. As it continues to fly apart, it will eventually become cold and dark.

A BIG mistake was made by Martin Luther. He should of tried to fix the problems of the Catholic Church of his time from within instead of breaking off. This would of assured unity. Instead he lacked patience and vision.

Things were never the same and trajectory and result of Luther's decision to break away is so clearly explained in this video. He mentions the Protestant Reformation as if it were a good thing. I submit to you, it was a big mistake. The Catholic Church of Luther's day had big problems, but they were not insurmountable. Luther was weak and took the easy route. I believe he was well intentioned, but his execution was flawed.

Getting back to the OT, the whole video starts from a false premise that evangelicals are part of a single group of Christians. That is painfully inaccurate and it is this disunity that will continue to separate them in matters of faith.

Last edited by juj; 09-24-2008 at 06:11 AM..

Old 09-24-2008, 05:50 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
The man wonders why Christians are straying from the truth. With so many religions involved and all their different teachings, how can they possibly be on the same page?
Are you purposely saying "With so many religions involved" instead of "With so many denominations involved"?

Just curious

Old 09-24-2008, 06:09 AM
juj

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Are you purposely saying "With so many religions involved" instead of "With so many denominations involved"?

Just curious
Okay, maybe my terminology is incorrect. Ok, dominations. I fixed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity