Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 12:00 PM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Well, that's something.

How do you 'reach out and take possession of it' ?
As I said, you can't do anything (anything meritorious. Anything by which you can boast. Anything by which you can take credit. Anything by which you can earn or deserve your salvation.) I already said that the way you reach out and take possession is by simply placing your faith in Christ. By placing your faith in Christ you are recognizing that there is nothing you can do to earn your salvation but that Jesus did everything necessary for your salvation. You therefore simply trust Jesus for eternal life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
There's no monetary cost; but we still have to die.
Eternal life is yours the moment you place your faith in Christ. So no, you do not have to die physically before eternal life is yours. You will of course die physically sooner or later, but as a believer you die already in possession of eternal life which means you already have an eternal relationship with God.

Old 05-15-2023, 12:10 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
As I said, you can't do anything (anything meritorious. Anything by which you can boast. Anything by which you can take credit. Anything by which you can earn or deserve your salvation.) I already said that the way you reach out and take possession is by simply placing your faith in Christ. By placing your faith in Christ you are recognizing that there is nothing you can do to earn your salvation but that Jesus did everything necessary for your salvation. You therefore simply trust Jesus for eternal life.
For you, does 'placing your faith in Christ' include being obedient to His commands?

Old 05-15-2023, 12:23 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,804,521 times
Mink57,

A sinner saved by grace, I'm on a journey, not perfect like Jesus. Try, one day at a time, sometimes one moment, to be obedient. Pray for soften hearts to receive His gift.

Old 05-15-2023, 12:31 PM

4,859 posts, read 450,647 times
Quote:
For you, does 'placing your faith in Christ' include being obedient to His commands?
Placing your faith in Jesus Christ works great.... for Christians. Surely not all Buddhists or Shinto or Islamic people will be sent to eternal hell because they are not Christians.

Jesus has done it all, has accomplished all that is necessary for my salvation?
I suspect that what's behind that statement is his death on the cross. He took my place. Paid for my sins, himself. Jesus died once, for all.

Ya, that's one way of seeing it. It's called "substitutionary atonement." Remember that the bible writers were themselves interpreting events. As for me, my very Christian God would never require a blood sacrifice, particularly a blood sacrifice of the one we call God's own son. The death of Jesus by torture and crucifixion was the heinous murder of an innocent man.The resurrection of Jesus---- however you define that--- is God's vindication of Jesus. We believers can rejoice that death has been beaten, vanquished. And as Paul wrote it, Jesus is the (merely) "first fruits" of that resurrection.

Also: the American evangelical disease is to make salvation a purely personal, individual thing. The church, by definition is a community. We need each other. Both within and beyond the church. "Ekklesia" = gathering.

And yes, of course: CCCyou: we don't "get saved" by "letting Jesus into our hearts" and then sit back. I didn't know he could fit in there, anyhow. ORK?! The good things we do are expressions of gratitude to God, for the sake of others. "Not even a cup of water will go without its reward." Although, that's not why you do it.

Old 05-15-2023, 12:49 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,788,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Mink57,

A sinner saved by grace, I'm on a journey, not perfect like Jesus. Try, one day at a time, sometimes one moment, to be obedient. Pray for soften hearts to receive His gift.
Obedience, to me, isn't something that's just done because someone in 'authority' says so. To me, there's always something 'greater' behind the obedience.

So many tend to see our 'obedience' as some deterrent to our "fun". And yet, it's meant to protect us.

I don't see obedience as a means of "control", for the sake of control, as some others do.

A sinner saved by "grace"?

Again, what does that even mean?

Old 05-15-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
No. Obedience is a part of experiential sanctification . . .of growing up spiritually after having been saved. It's part of being a disciple of Jesus. Oh, there is obeying the command to believe the gospel but that's not what you are asking about. Obedience is not an inherent part of faith which simply means to trust or to have confidence in a person or thing.

'Disciple' and 'believer' are not synonymous terms. A disciple is a student. One can be a disciple of Jesus without being a believer in him. Judas Iscariot was a disciple but not a believer. And one can be a believer without being a disciple. Many Christians are believers but are not disciples. That is, after having been eternally saved they just go about their merry way with no desire to put in the effort to grow up in their spiritual life.

So while of course as a believer you should want to obey the commands of Jesus, just because you are a believer, just because you have been eternally saved does not automatically mean that you will be obedient.

Old 05-15-2023, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
No. Obedience is a part of experiential sanctification . . .of growing up spiritually after having been saved. It's part of being a disciple of Jesus. Oh, there is obeying the command to believe the gospel but that's not what you are asking about. Obedience is not an inherent part of faith which simply means to trust or to have confidence in a person or thing.

'Disciple' and 'believer' are not synonymous terms. A disciple is a student. One can be a disciple of Jesus without being a believer in him. Judas Iscariot was a disciple but not a believer. And one can be a believer without being a disciple. Many Christians are believers but are not disciples. That is, after having been eternally saved they just go about their merry way with no desire to put in the effort to grow up in their spiritual life.

So while of course as a believer you should want to obey the commands of Jesus, just because you are a believer, just because you have been eternally saved does not automatically mean that you will be obedient.
Let me ask you a question, Michael.

Would you 'robitically' agree to follow Jesus? Or do you want to follow him because what he says/does is true?

Old 05-15-2023, 01:05 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,256,042 times
"Everyone must love me, or I'll torture you for all eternity..."

No, thanks.

Old 05-15-2023, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
"Everyone must love me, or I'll torture you for all eternity..."

No, thanks.
Which 'bible' are YOU looking at that says that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity