Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 07:57 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times

Advertisements

Read the Psalms.

King David, a man after God’s heart, describes the characteristics of the Bible in this way: perfect, sure, right, pure, clean, and true.

He describes six benefits of God’s Word: it revives the soul, makes wise the simple, rejoices the heart, enlightens the eyes, endures forever, and produces righteousness.

Yup, David was a sinner, an adulterer and murderer. Yet, God forgave Him. His story is one of hope for even the worst of us. A good reason to read the Bible.

And yes Meerkat, I’m preaching. Doing what Jesus told me to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 01:26 AM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkintheLight View Post
Go to you tube and listen to the word of God. Start with the first book, Genesis.

Listen to an hour a day for 80 days and you will have went through the whole bible, book by book. It will be the best thing you ever do for yourself and your family.

All the Bible books, all 66 are in audio form on the Tube of You. Go close your eyes and listen, let the Holy Spirit teach you.

The word do is listed over 1300 times in the Scriptures. If you really think that Salavtion is merely a belief and agreement that Christ suffered and you are saved, you are deceived.

Dont take my word for it or any of these so called City Data experts. Go to the word and listen.

Or Just continue in your ignorance. Now if you read this you are already on the Hook, Christ now Knows you are either to lazy to know him or just do not want to.

Hos 4:6* My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I get the impression that we're being preached to. And not from above, but to our side.

Just another one of those "City Data experts". Oh no! Only the experts prepare threads / posts like this, telling us what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
You have a point Thoreau

This is a discussion forum where people put forward their opinions, perspectives

It’s up to each of us to do our own thinking and searching as the design is that there are predetermined, natural and societal limitations and biases
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Read the Psalms.

King David, a man after God’s heart, describes the characteristics of the Bible in this way: perfect, sure, right, pure, clean, and true.

He describes six benefits of God’s Word: it revives the soul, makes wise the simple, rejoices the heart, enlightens the eyes, endures forever, and produces righteousness.

Yup, David was a sinner, an adulterer and murderer. Yet, God forgave Him. His story is one of hope for even the worst of us. A good reason to read the Bible.

And yes Meerkat, I’m preaching. Doing what Jesus told me to do.
Kate, for me it was more that the underlined comments were ‘off’

Yes, read the bible …. But I believe we should be careful about what and how we communicate as well

Last edited by Meerkat2; 05-16-2023 at 01:44 AM..

Old 05-16-2023, 04:45 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Kate, for me it was more that the underlined comments were ‘off’

Yes, read the bible …. But I believe we should be careful about what and how we communicate as well

Yes we should be careful how we communicate, and I can see how someone could have been offended by his paragraph prior to the Hosea passage. The original poster’s message would have carried a lot more weight had he left that paragraph out. My mother used to say, “You’ll catch a lot more flies with honey than you will with vinegar.” She was so right!

That said, I would encourage everyone to read the Bible daily. I know what it has done for me, and I want that for everyone. It really lifts the spirit. It is the way our Father in heaven has chosen to communicate with us. I wish with all my heart that everyone on this forum would take advantage of the wonderful gift God has given us.

Last edited by MissKate12; 05-16-2023 at 05:03 AM..

Old 05-16-2023, 06:26 AM

492 posts, read 143,249 times
In the Begining God,

The first 4 words from Christ. Start today, here is the first book of Genesis. Dismiss this book as myth and God will dismiss you as myth.

I will start today with 1 hour a day for the Most High God, join me. Here is the first Book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgFT_IxwJJY&t=2040s

Old 05-16-2023, 07:29 AM

I just feasted upon the first 18 chapters of Genesis. I ate it all.

What an amazing book. No wonder Satan can't stand this book and attacks it with all sorts of garbage.

One thing is very certain after reading this. We as folks are still bashing each others heads in just like they did in the Land of Ur seven thousand years ago.

We have made zero progress in that arena.

Old 05-16-2023, 08:22 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
Go to you tube and listen to the word of God. Start with the first book, Genesis.

Listen to an hour a day for 80 days and you will have went through the whole bible, book by book. It will be the best thing you ever do for yourself and your family.

All the Bible books, all 66 are in audio form on the Tube of You. Go close your eyes and listen, let the Holy Spirit teach you.

The word do is listed over 1300 times in the Scriptures. If you really think that Salavtion is merely a belief and agreement that Christ suffered and you are saved, you are deceived.

Dont take my word for it or any of these so called City Data experts. Go to the word and listen.

Or Just continue in your ignorance. Now if you read this you are already on the Hook, Christ now Knows you are either to lazy to know him or just do not want to.

Hos 4:6* My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.*
As a faithful Catholic one will hear scripture read an avg of 1000+ hours over a lifetime.
ALL 73 books cover to cover approx 20x.
Even more if daily mass is attended, let alone time spent on personal study.
As a faithful Catholic one will come to know Christ very well, and He them - a living sacrifice (Rom 12:1)

I think I'll stick to what has worked for 2000 years, thank you.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I just feasted upon the first 18 chapters of Genesis. I ate it all.

What an amazing book. No wonder Satan can't stand this book and attacks it with all sorts of garbage.

One thing is very certain after reading this. We as folks are still bashing each others heads in just like they did in the Land of Ur seven thousand years ago.

We have made zero progress in that arena.
Some make progress and others don’t

It really isn’t so much how much you can individually read in one sitting, or even to read it cover to cover, it is more about how it is processed and understood and distributed

You are right that there is a lot of actual and figurative bashing of heads

And that was foretold

Old 05-16-2023, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Yes we should be careful how we communicate, and I can see how someone could have been offended by his paragraph prior to the Hosea passage. The original poster’s message would have carried a lot more weight had he left that paragraph out. My mother used to say, “You’ll catch a lot more flies with honey than you will with vinegar.” She was so right!

That said, I would encourage everyone to read the Bible daily. I know what it has done for me, and I want that for everyone. It really lifts the spirit. It is the way our Father in heaven has chosen to communicate with us. I wish with all my heart that everyone on this forum would take advantage of the wonderful gift God has given us.

It might have but that would have been hypocritical, over time people let slip what is in their heart and it comes out in their words which is our ‘expression’

I tend more to look at what is happening across the forum rather than what is happening just in one thread

I am not offended (Thoreau and others could very well have taken offence)

It was more about seeing a dissonance between what is said and what is meant and intended

Like there is a huge difference between quality and quantity
It’s not and shouldn’t be a competition of reading the bible cover to cover lots of times and then boasting about it

This seems to be what walkinthelight seems to be doing with this thread is to underhandedly get back at the people who have disagreed with him/her in other threads

Old 05-17-2023, 07:27 AM

Another Hour of feasting on the word of the Living God.

Forget about the city data theological experts and all their own opinions. Listen to the word and let the Holy Spirit teach you.

Chapter 19-32-

The Book of Genesis is the foundation for the entire library of books known as the bible.
Plug in and listen or don't. It is your soul. Does your soul even matter to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgFT_IxwJJY&t=2043s

Old 05-17-2023, 07:54 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I say, Got 80 hours?
Do one little thing Jesus advised or taught and watch how it really works! I did!
2006 changed my life to being carefree.
You don't even have to be Christian ...an atheist can try a couple.

Take one thing: Have no fear is a great one. Do not worry -another.
That's before you go into the big leagues like: Seek the Kingdom of Heaven first, even for 48 hours.
Just as an experiment...to see for yourself.

I'm big on Seeing is believing...that's why I respect atheists ---they just have not experienced 'something' for themselves.
So?
They're more honest than many people, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity