Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 03:44 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,696,783 times

Advertisements

I’m interested in the discussion/debate that JT and BF are getting into in this thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/chri...-others-4.html

I found this series online that goes into investigating how it came about, the history, and that there can be misrepresentations on both ‘sides’

https://www.gracelakeville.org/wp-co...es-handout.pdf

Quote:
Introduction
Lesson 1: Introduction
As our opening exercise demonstrated, misunderstandings and misrepresentations on both sides abound when it comes to the topic of Calvinism and Arminianism. Our church stands in a Calvinist tradition; therefore, it is easy to misrepresent the other side. For example, some Calvinists will say that Arminianism is Pelagianism or Semi-Pelagian. (If you don’t understand these words, that’s fine for now.) Arminianism is neither Pelagianism or Semi-Pelagianism. On the other side, some Arminians will say that the God of Calvinism is a monster—electing and damning whom he will, haphazardly. This is a caricature; a misrepresentation that is not true.
So, I want to do this series to help clear up any misunderstandings and misrepresentations that you currently have. Furthermore, I hope even by the way I approach this series, it will help you as you move forward to not only identify misunderstandings and misrepresentations but also not to articulate any yourselves.
The question is: How do we remove the misunderstandings and misrepresentations? History.
Quote:
We have two thousand years of history that cannot be ignored! We inherently must deal with the past, not because that’s “just what we do,” but because Christianity is a historical faith, and the Spirit has been speaking to men and women in the church for the last 2,000 years. This is why Spurgeon said: “I find it strange that so many men talk about what the Holy Spirit reveals to themselves with little respect or thought for what the Holy Spirit reveals to others.
I’m interested in any thoughts anyone has on this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2023, 03:59 PM

It was the students of Calvin and Arminius who were in debate with each each other over the writings left by them

Quote:
The history of the Calvinist–Arminian debate begins in early 17th century in the Netherlands with a Christian theological dispute between the followers of John Calvin and Jacobus Arminius, and continues today among some Protestants, particularly evangelicals. The debate centers around soteriology, or the study of salvation, and includes disputes about total depravity, predestination, and atonement. While the debate was given its Calvinist–Arminian form in the 17th century, issues central to the debate have been discussed in Christianity in some form since Augustine of Hippo's disputes with the Pelagians in the 5th century.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...%20determinism.

John Calvin (1509–1564), from whose name Calvinism is derived.

Jacobus Arminius (1560–1609), from whose name Arminianism is derived.

They were not even contemporaries

Old 05-19-2023, 04:15 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I’m interested in the discussion/debate that JT and BF are getting into in this thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/chri...-others-4.html

I found this series online that goes into investigating how it came about, the history, and that there can be misrepresentations on both ‘sides’

We have two thousand years of history that cannot be ignored! We inherently must deal with the past, not because that’s “just what we do,” but because Christianity is a historical faith, and the Spirit has been speaking to men and women in the church for the last 2,000 years. This is why Spurgeon said: “I find it strange that so many men talk about what the Holy Spirit reveals to themselves with little respect or thought for what the Holy Spirit reveals to others.

It is and has been unavoidable because everyone is using THEIR OWN Holy Spirit as they discern it in the contradictory, inconsistent, and convoluted Bible scriptures. That is NOT where we learn what the Holy Spirit IS. The ONE AND ONLY Holy Spirit of agape love and forgiveness is as described, revealed, and personally demonstrated by Jesus (who IS God for a Christian) on the Cross. If they all used THAT Holy Spirit as their guide, there would be no discord, confusion, and misunderstanding, IMO.

Old 05-19-2023, 04:27 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Quote:

What are the misrepresentations?

God bless.

Old 05-19-2023, 04:31 PM

Thanks mystic but I am more interested in those who have an affiliation to those communities to express their views about where their own disagreements are

The part where Jesus says that the design is to leave the altar when we remember that we have disagreement with our brethren and we are to settle it/account for it

Mat 5:21**Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
Mat 5:22**But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
Mat 5:23**Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
Mat 5:24**Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
Mat 5:25**Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.
Mat 5:26**Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.

Old 05-19-2023, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
What are the misrepresentations?

God bless.
Did you read any of the article?

Old 05-19-2023, 04:56 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Quote:
Did you read any of the article?
I think I clicked on the wrong link first. Yes, I was trying to find the writings of Arminius referencing on being dead in sin that was mentioned in the article, but I am still looking. God bless.

Old 05-19-2023, 05:03 PM

4,085 posts, read 877,614 times
Quote:

I am so glad that you are interested in this. I want to discuss this so much. However, don't say Arminianism.

Can you change that?

I don't defend any teachings from man or woman, just the Word of God.

Old 05-19-2023, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
I am so glad that you are interested in this. I want to discuss this so much. However, don't say Arminianism.

Can you change that?

I’m a reader and then compare- I’m not suited to debating, I am interested in the topic but it is more from an observer point of view, so I personally am not in a position to debate, judge

Last edited by Meerkat2; 05-19-2023 at 05:29 PM..

Old 05-19-2023, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post

Can you change that?

Sorry I can’t change the thread title
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity