Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 08:42 PM

6,791 posts, read 2,899,606 times

Advertisements

I guess that I refer to myself as a Christian because that's the word that is supposed to identify one who claims to believe in (on?) Jesus Christ.

Yet I am often at odds with others who also refer to themselves by that name.

For some time, I've even wondered if i really AM a Christian. The other night I was invited to a seminar at the SDA church that I once called my local church. It was, I thought, an evangelical program pertaining to last day events and as to how these events apply to Bible prophecy.

It wasn't. It was just another regurgitated sermon that held no relevance for me personally. It was also longwinded, and I couldn't wait for it to be over.

I almost hate to say this, but I get SO bored with the same old Bible texts preached over and over again, texts that I've heard millions of times before, that, again, I do have to wonder if I really AM a Christian. Do people in the congregation REALLY get excited at this kind of repetitious preaching that pretty much sends me to sleep or are they faking it?

Please be gentle with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2023, 08:55 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I am looking for biblical references in your explanation.
I'm a Presbyterian agnostic. I don't claim to KNOW more than I do. That being said, I like the teachings of the Presbyterian religion as they "love thy neighbor" and are pretty laid back on things to accommodate most everyone.

A biblical reference? "Love thy neighbor" and "Thou Shall not Kill" come to mind. Shame we have lost our way. This new leadership is all about breaking it all up IMHO. I wish we could love each other more.

Old 08-06-2023, 09:57 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
This bible verse keeps me humble.

Romans 3:10-12 New International Version (NIV)
As it is written: “There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.”
Very good passages. This is the one that does it for me. Isaiah 53

Old 08-06-2023, 10:22 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I'm a Presbyterian agnostic. I don't claim to KNOW more than I do. That being said, I like the teachings of the Presbyterian religion as they "love thy neighbor" and are pretty laid back on things to accommodate most everyone.

A biblical reference? "Love thy neighbor" and "Thou Shall not Kill" come to mind. Shame we have lost our way. This new leadership is all about breaking it all up IMHO. I wish we could love each other more.
The bold ios the primary definition of a Christian as Jesus instructed. It is the religious leaders who have messed it up with all manner of rules and interpretations that have nothing to do with Jesus or His message of love and reconciliation, IMO.

Old 08-07-2023, 05:43 AM

12,033 posts, read 6,563,490 times
I really didn’t have a choice.

I grew up with atheist and agnostic parents. We rarely spoke of religion, and it was looked down upon as a crutch for weak-minded people. At 19, I was not a bit interested in anything religious or spiritual.

So what a surprise my first month at college when a neighbor in the dorm who spoke some about Jesus and asked me if I’d ever read the New Testament.
I had no idea what it was but wanted to be polite so accepted the copy she gave me to read. As I was walking down the hall to my room I flipped it open and the page that opened had a part that actually started GLOWING IN GOLD:

Rev 3:20
Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.

And suddenly I experienced the actual presence of Jesus………..
So of course I invited him into my life.
It was a true miracle. (I know, I know — and I was a science major too!!)
The direction and quality of my life totally changed after that experience, and it’s been 51 years of a looooong and winding spiritual journey.

Why some of us get these miracles and others don’t has always been a difficult spiritual inquiry for me.
But in prayer about this, I’m always shown the scripture:

John 20:29
Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

I had it easy — I personally feel MORE BLESSED are those who have not seen yet believe!!! ❤️

Last edited by mountainrose; 08-07-2023 at 05:55 AM..

Old 08-07-2023, 06:09 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Because I was raised Christian.

If Mom and Dad had been life long devout Buddhists, I am sure I would be a devout Buddhist.

That is not what people on CD want to hear.
But it is honest.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:32 AM

12,033 posts, read 6,563,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I guess that I refer to myself as a Christian because that's the word that is supposed to identify one who claims to believe in (on?) Jesus Christ.

For some time, I've even wondered if i really AM a Christian. The other night I was invited to a seminar at the SDA church that I once called my local church. It was, I thought, an evangelical program pertaining to last day events and as to how these events apply to Bible prophecy.

It wasn't. It was just another regurgitated sermon that held no relevance for me personally. It was also longwinded, and I couldn't wait for it to be over.

I almost hate to say this, but I get SO bored with the same old Bible texts preached over and over again, texts that I've heard millions of times before, that, again, I do have to wonder if I really AM a Christian. Do people in the congregation REALLY get excited at this kind of repetitious preaching that pretty much sends me to sleep or are they faking it?

This is such an important inquiry!!!

Even I, with the miracle stated above, have questioned whether I’m actually a classic Christian — it’s why I call myself a spiritual Christian as I don’t know how else to distinguish the difference.

For me after years of inquiry on this, I’ve boiled it down to —- do you actually have a PERSONAL relationship with Christ and God or is your relationship based and dependent on organized religion — a particular denomination, a faith in certain scriptural interpretations, an intermediary like a pope or priest, or do you go directly in prayer, meditation, and FAITH to Jesus and God?
Not that those outlets can’t help you at times spiritually, but it appears so many haven’t found a personal relationship and TRUST in going directly to Christ.

If you haven’t yet watched The Chosen series, I really recommend it. So many of us recognize the Jesus we know personally — the humor, the love and compassion and deep understanding of the our weaknesses- the rolling of eyes at ridiculous scriptural interpretations, His humanness along with His deity….

My husband of 40+ years is an atheist due to his spiritually-damaging experiences with Catholicism. He was never shown a loving Jesus or how to open his heart for a direct relationship with Jesus and God. Instead he was shown scripture on constantly being guilty and unworthy and judgemental of others not Catholic. Boring, boring hours of memorization and catechism (sp?).

But he is a GOOD MAN — and the God I know loves him dearly too. The God I know in my heart and spirit is not sending him to a hell or eternal damnation ….LOL
So I am not a classic Christian in those type of scriptural areas because my heart and my spirit lead me elsewhere in spiritual understanding and surrendering to the mystery of it all …..if that makes any sense to you….

Old 08-07-2023, 09:17 AM

14,876 posts, read 17,148,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post

Hi, whenever I have felt like this, I try to remember to ask God to help me hear see with fresh eyes and fresh ears. Lord help me to hunger and thirst for your word, teach me what you want me to know, give me the hunger and the thirst, lead me in Your way. God bless.

Old 08-07-2023, 09:36 AM

11,428 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But it is honest.
Begs the question, if I was raised by atheists, would I have adopted a religion and if so, which?

Old 08-07-2023, 09:49 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
This is such an important inquiry!!!

Even I, with the miracle stated above, have questioned whether I’m actually a classic Christian — it’s why I call myself a spiritual Christian as I don’t know how else to distinguish the difference.

For me after years of inquiry on this, I’ve boiled it down to —- do you actually have a PERSONAL relationship with Christ and God or is your relationship based and dependent on organized religion — a particular denomination, a faith in certain scriptural interpretations, an intermediary like a pope or priest, or do you go directly in prayer, meditation, and FAITH to Jesus and God?
Not that those outlets can’t help you at times spiritually, but it appears so many haven’t found a personal relationship and TRUST in going directly to Christ.

If you haven’t yet watched The Chosen series, I really recommend it. So many of us recognize the Jesus we know personally — the humor, the love and compassion and deep understanding of the our weaknesses- the rolling of eyes at ridiculous scriptural interpretations, His humanness along with His deity….

My husband of 40+ years is an atheist due to his spiritually-damaging experiences with Catholicism. He was never shown a loving Jesus or how to open his heart for a direct relationship with Jesus and God. Instead he was shown scripture on constantly being guilty and unworthy and judgemental of others not Catholic. Boring, boring hours of memorization and catechism (sp?).

But he is a GOOD MAN — and the God I know loves him dearly too. The God I know in my heart and spirit is not sending him to a hell or eternal damnation ….LOL
So I am not a classic Christian in those type of scriptural areas because my heart and my spirit lead me elsewhere in spiritual understanding and surrendering to the mystery of it all …..if that makes any sense to you….
You cannot encounter the real Jesus and believe the wrathful and vengeful nonsense of the dominant dogma!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity