Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 303 times

Advertisements

"...BUT BE TRANSFORMED BY THE RENEWING OF YOUR MIND..." [Romans 12:2]

One of the most deceptive and devilish doctrines that has even invaded the minds of Christians, is called, Uniformitarianism. This teaches that nothing ever changes and that everything stays the same.

In school, we were taught that, "If A = B and B = C then A = C". This may work in theory but it doesn't work in the real world.

God is the only one who doesn't change because He doesn't need to. God says,"For I am the LORD, I change not..." [Malachi 3:6] Thank God for that! If He changed His mind, we would all be lost!

Peter had something to say about that kind of thinking. "Knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts and saying, 'Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation.'" [2 Peter 3:3,4] He goes on in verses 5-7, to explain that they are willingly ignorant of certain facts.

HOW DOES THIS APPLY TO US AS CHRISTIANS TODAY?

Paul says, "But we all, with an unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord." [2 Corinthians 3:18]

AS WE KEEP LOOKING TO CHRIST JESUS, THROUGH THE WORD OF GOD, HE WILL TRANSFORM AND CHANGE US INTO HIS IMAGE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 11:54 PM

11,903 posts, read 3,722,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. D. View Post

One of the most deceptive and devilish doctrines that has even invaded the minds of Christians, is called, Uniformitarianism. This teaches that nothing ever changes and that everything stays the same.

In school, we were taught that, "If A = B and B = C then A = C". This may work in theory but it doesn't work in the real world.

God is the only one who doesn't change because He doesn't need to. God says,"For I am the LORD, I change not..." [Malachi 3:6] Thank God for that! If He changed His mind, we would all be lost!

Peter had something to say about that kind of thinking. "Knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts and saying, 'Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation.'" [2 Peter 3:3,4] He goes on in verses 5-7, to explain that they are willingly ignorant of certain facts.

Paul says, "But we all, with an unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord." [2 Corinthians 3:18]

AS WE KEEP LOOKING TO CHRIST JESUS, THROUGH THE WORD OF GOD, HE WILL TRANSFORM AND CHANGE US INTO HIS IMAGE
Isn’t Uniformitarianism a geology term about rate of change?

In Peter it speaks of process relating to the change or transformation as well

2Pe 1:5**And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
2Pe 1:6**And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
2Pe 1:7**And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
2Pe 1:8**For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Old 08-23-2023, 11:56 PM

14,904 posts, read 17,194,775 times
Quote:

Thank you for sharing the statements about transformation. I have been thinking of this a lot recently. The daily grind of life has a way of clouding what I know God's word says. This is why it is so important to focus on what God is saying in His word and growing in understanding and acceptance of what He is saying with God's help. God's Holy Spirit leads us to the truth which is in the scriptures, the written word and by focusing on what God is teaching us in His written word, we renew our minds. I was in a Bible Study with a lady earlier this year, and one of the books we studied quotes, "God says that believing in Him and resting and abiding in what He says is the secret to transformative change." We must not only listen to what God says, but we have to believe it in our hearts...Jesus knows that there will always be a struggle within us to trust and believe what God says over the noise and lies in our own head...Satan is a liar who continually tries to confuse us about what is true about God, ourselves, and how life really works.."Self Esteem by Leslie Vernick

So we have to listen and believe what God says in His word. There has to be a change in the way that that we think and this change is something that is happening on a daily basis. It does not happen over night. Another source that I have states: The Greek Word for renewal is anakainosis, usually translated as renewal, renovation. The verb is anakainoo, to make new, renew. Both words are built on the Greek word kainos, which means new, not just a rerun of an earlier model, but a new and improved version. Anakainosis means a complete change for the better, a makeover of the mind and soul. The verb means to move from one stage to a higher stage, to invigorate. The Ezra Project

Yes, it involves growth and change.

Scripture references

Titus 3:5He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness but according to His mercy, by the washing and regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit.

2 Cor. 5:17 If any man is in Christ, he is a new creature, the old things passed away, behold new things have come.

2 Cor. 4:16 Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed every day.

Colossians 3:10
(You)have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him.

Notes
Spiritual renewal is not just a program of self improvement. It is built on the miraculous work of the Spirit in our lives. It is a daily process of renewal..It is a marathon, not a sprint and it doesn't happen automatically. . God has already renewed us as we are new creatures in Christ ,but He calls us to build on that transformation. Each day is an opportunity to shape our thoughts by exposure to His thoughts.Ezra Project

We find God's thoughts in His Word and we must believe His Word. But all is the work of God operating in our lives as we are being transformed into His image from glory to glory.

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 08-24-2023 at 12:23 AM..

Old 08-24-2023, 03:33 AM

9,695 posts, read 10,036,927 times
Only through the born again that Jesus Holy Spirit will cleanse the believer of the demonic influence where the believer must engage faith or the devil will still come in and talk through anybody ....... See the fruit of the spirit is a must as every believer in hopes for heaven will need at lest one fruit of the spirit of Christ to be accepted into heaven as Jesus Holy Spirit knows His own and will collect His own for heaven ......... Then the spiritual gift of God should come with the prudence in the spirit as the Lord will prune the believer of sin and the knowledge of sin for victory through the gifts of His spirit....... Hearing the bible will help the Holy Spirit, who will know that you heard it and will know the bible if reminded

Old 08-24-2023, 06:01 AM

20,067 posts, read 13,528,100 times
Quote:

You've unwittingly revealed that Christianity is a bunch of special pleading and false equivalence fallacies at heart.

Besides, who on earth in the church is teaching that humans are immutable just because god is?

Even in geology, where the term actually applies, the notion that all physical laws are universal in space and time doesn't preclude those laws bringing about change. The laws can be the same and yet govern all sorts of interactions.

Old 08-24-2023, 08:21 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,349,956 times
Quote:

The operative word for me is " renew".
Which presumes a need to re-establish or restore something.

I don't believe it is a once and done proposition, but a daily excersise.

And in my case, sometimes hourly.

Old 08-24-2023, 02:40 PM

3,837 posts, read 1,391,889 times
Quote:
No doubt He will - how have you changed?

Old 08-24-2023, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Thank you for sharing the statements about transformation. I have been thinking of this a lot recently. The daily grind of life has a way of clouding what I know God's word says. This is why it is so important to focus on what God is saying in His word and growing in understanding and acceptance of what He is saying with God's help. God's Holy Spirit leads us to the truth which is in the scriptures, the written word and by focusing on what God is teaching us in His written word, we renew our minds. I was in a Bible Study with a lady earlier this year, and one of the books we studied quotes, "God says that believing in Him and resting and abiding in what He says is the secret to transformative change." We must not only listen to what God says, but we have to believe it in our hearts...Jesus knows that there will always be a struggle within us to trust and believe what God says over the noise and lies in our own head...Satan is a liar who continually tries to confuse us about what is true about God, ourselves, and how life really works.."Self Esteem by Leslie Vernick

So we have to listen and believe what God says in His word. There has to be a change in the way that that we think and this change is something that is happening on a daily basis. It does not happen over night. Another source that I have states: The Greek Word for renewal is anakainosis, usually translated as renewal, renovation. The verb is anakainoo, to make new, renew. Both words are built on the Greek word kainos, which means new, not just a rerun of an earlier model, but a new and improved version. Anakainosis means a complete change for the better, a makeover of the mind and soul. The verb means to move from one stage to a higher stage, to invigorate. The Ezra Project

Yes, it involves growth and change.

Scripture references

Titus 3:5He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness but according to His mercy, by the washing and regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit.

2 Cor. 5:17 If any man is in Christ, he is a new creature, the old things passed away, behold new things have come.

2 Cor. 4:16 Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed every day.

Colossians 3:10
(You)have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him.

Notes
Spiritual renewal is not just a program of self improvement. It is built on the miraculous work of the Spirit in our lives. It is a daily process of renewal..It is a marathon, not a sprint and it doesn't happen automatically. . God has already renewed us as we are new creatures in Christ ,but He calls us to build on that transformation. Each day is an opportunity to shape our thoughts by exposure to His thoughts.Ezra Project

We find God's thoughts in His Word and we must believe His Word. But all is the work of God operating in our lives as we are being transformed into His image from glory to glory.

God bless.
How have you been changed?

Old 08-24-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
The operative word for me is " renew".
Which presumes a need to re-establish or restore something.

I don't believe it is a once and done proposition, but a daily excersise.

And in my case, sometimes hourly.
So, kind of like Alzheimer's prevention?

Old 08-24-2023, 02:49 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,349,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
So, kind of like Alzheimer's prevention?
Maybe not prevention, but certainly acceptance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity