Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2023, 10:02 PM

424 posts, read 91,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Jesus corrects the behaviors/attitudes of Old Testament.

Look at it this way: If the Jews behaved as God wanted, would there be a need to send Jesus? Jesus was sent to change the world and not to confirm the status quo. It's why I don't see Old Testament as a guide on how to live.
No, Jews didn't behave the way God wanted, they broke everything and oppressed everyone including women. That's why they went into captivity. When they came back they made more rules on top of Torah which is what Jesus called as "heavy load". For example,
1. washing hands before eating.
2. not to even keep meat and milk next to each other, actual law is "do not cook young goat in its mother's milk"
etc.

Those are just a couple but there are more. These were made because they didn't want to go into captivity again (I believe).

Jesus talks about lighten what the Rabbis were teaching and forcing people to do. Also the seven woes, that's Jesus' anger against them for making everyone horrible

If you read the 1st 5 books, there are nothing that is heavy load but has so much it talks about to treat everyone best (even the slaves/servant), respect and love everyone, inc. taking care of widows, poor, homeless etc.

Please read these.

If someone went bankrupt and had to sell his property, did you know that they will get their property back on the year of jubilee without paying back? if someone borrowed, it becomes zero on the 7th year no matter how much is unpaid. Did you know that? Is this possible in any Christian country throughout the ages? God said, "do not charge interest to a fellow men". Is there a single Christian financial institution that charges 0% interest or write off payments that couldn't be made? Please read, about the LAW of God. Jesus came to reenforce that but as Christians, we are not doing the same. About the saying of Jesus "if you have 2 cloak, give the one to the one who doesn't have?" Jesus gave an example of what God called treat everyone equally. Isaiah was furious that they didn't follow these as they abused everyone and then he said you are going to captivity.

God said "do not harvest to the edge" and "do not go back a second time to collect everything", "leave those for the homeless and the poor".

Please read, you have no idea how they messed things up. Christians speak LOVE, God spoke about it and gave laws to follow so equality and love will be among the people. So there wont be one rich and the other poor.

Quote:
I don't think men and women are interchangeable. Each sex has their own, but equal, talents. Women are not less than men. I think Jesus makes this clear. Unfortunately, women in the Old Testament are treated more like cattle, to be traded for work, kept away from public life.
I thought that's what I was also saying, that men and women are equal but with different roles. Gen chapter 1, God's command to both man and woman to rule the earth. That command was not to just man.

God also said men will also be unclean and must stay outside the camp when there is a discharge just like woman. But the rule makers treated women worse. This is my understanding: God NEVER in OT said mistreat women. Miriam had authority in the community just like Aaron.

Please read Judges about Deborah. She was a hero. If God made women less, how come those men accepted her as a hero? It just the rule makers who came later made things worse!

Quote:
Thanks for responding to me in such an though provoking and respectful manner!
Thanks to you too!

Last edited by rjack567; 10-07-2023 at 11:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2023, 06:36 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjack567 View Post
No, Jews didn't behave the way God wanted, they broke everything and oppressed everyone including women. That's why they went into captivity. When they came back they made more rules on top of Torah which is what Jesus called as "heavy load". For example,
1. washing hands before eating.
2. not to even keep meat and milk next to each other, actual law is "do not cook young goat in its mother's milk"
etc.

Those are just a couple but there are more. These were made because they didn't want to go into captivity again (I believe).

Jesus talks about lighten what the Rabbis were teaching and forcing people to do. Also the seven woes, that's Jesus' anger against them for making everyone horrible

If you read the 1st 5 books, there are nothing that is heavy load but has so much it talks about to treat everyone best (even the slaves/servant), respect and love everyone, inc. taking care of widows, poor, homeless etc.

Please read these.

If someone went bankrupt and had to sell his property, did you know that they will get their property back on the year of jubilee without paying back? if someone borrowed, it becomes zero on the 7th year no matter how much is unpaid. Did you know that? Is this possible in any Christian country throughout the ages? God said, "do not charge interest to a fellow men". Is there a single Christian financial institution that charges 0% interest or write off payments that couldn't be made? Please read, about the LAW of God. Jesus came to reenforce that but as Christians, we are not doing the same. About the saying of Jesus "if you have 2 cloak, give the one to the one who doesn't have?" Jesus gave an example of what God called treat everyone equally. Isaiah was furious that they didn't follow these as they abused everyone and then he said you are going to captivity.

God said "do not harvest to the edge" and "do not go back a second time to collect everything", "leave those for the homeless and the poor".

Please read, you have no idea how they messed things up. Christians speak LOVE, God spoke about it and gave laws to follow so equality and love will be among the people. So there wont be one rich and the other poor.

I thought that's what I was also saying, that men and women are equal but with different roles. Gen chapter 1, God's command to both man and woman to rule the earth. That command was not to just man.

God also said men will also be unclean and must stay outside the camp when there is a discharge just like woman. But the rule makers treated women worse. This is my understanding: God NEVER in OT said mistreat women. Miriam had authority in the community just like Aaron.

Please read Judges about Deborah. She was a hero. If God made women less, how come those men accepted her as a hero? It just the rule makers who came later made things worse!

Thanks to you too!
Is there some particular theological reason you have chosen to excoriate the Jews? Their religious rules were for themselves and no one else. Their business rules were largely dictated by society at the time and the limitations that were placed upon them by Christian-ruled countries. And, for your information, which you sorely need, those laws and rules that you say made Jesus so angry were what he stated he had no intention of changing. "I come not to change one jot nor tittle of the Law", according to your NT.

If you are going to spread misinformation about Judaism, at least also provide some sources of real information, like Chabad,org, or MyJewishLearning.Inc so that people can read actual facts. The same goes for the other poster with her "theories" (Hebrew women's pelvis might be larger than Eqyptians). What on earth?

Old 10-08-2023, 07:02 AM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
The same goes for the other poster with her "theories" (Hebrew women's pelvis might be larger than Eqyptians). What on earth?
You have to read the whole thread. Someone posted that the Old Testament said Jewish women gave birth easier than Egyptian women because of God. I was pointing out that Jewish women could give birth easier for reasons other than God's intervention.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 10-08-2023 at 07:22 AM..

Old 10-08-2023, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Is there some particular theological reason you have chosen to excoriate the Jews? Their religious rules were for themselves and no one else. Their business rules were largely dictated by society at the time and the limitations that were placed upon them by Christian-ruled countries. And, for your information, which you sorely need, those laws and rules that you say made Jesus so angry were what he stated he had no intention of changing. "I come not to change one jot nor tittle of the Law", according to your NT.

If you are going to spread misinformation about Judaism, at least also provide some sources of real information, like Chabad,org, or MyJewishLearning.Inc so that people can read actual facts. The same goes for the other poster with her "theories" (Hebrew women's pelvis might be larger than Eqyptians). What on earth?
I was supporting the law of Moses given by God. Please read.

Old 10-08-2023, 08:25 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjack567 View Post
I was supporting the law of Moses given by God. Please read.
Saying "Jews didn't behave the way G-d wanted, they broke everything and oppressed everyone including women" has nothing to do with supporting the law of Moses. It's simply slandering the Jews.

Old 10-08-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Saying "Jews didn't behave the way G-d wanted, they broke everything and oppressed everyone including women" has nothing to do with supporting the law of Moses. It's simply slandering the Jews.
I didn't say anything about today's Jews. I spoke about those who are mentioned in Isaiah and Jeremiah and Ezekiel.

I hope you have read those books!

Edit: Christianity did not exist pre Babylonia time. My whole conversation is only about pre Babylonia time.

Also, I am not antisemitic. I completely support the existing of the Jews and their state! It's a command that God gave. Those who bless you, I will bless them ... you know the remaining words.

Last edited by rjack567; 10-08-2023 at 08:55 AM..

Old 10-08-2023, 09:04 AM

Also, this topic is about idols. If you (Bungalove) are not aware of what King Manasseh did, please check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity