Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 01:12 PM

424 posts, read 92,378 times

Advertisements

Rev 16:15 “Blessed is the one who stays awake and remains clothed, so as not to go naked and be shamefully exposed.”

What does it mean to stay awake and remain clothed?

Quote:
Clothed
Psalm 132:9 Let your priests be clothed with righteousness, and let your saints shout for joy.

Isaiah 59:7 He put on righteousness as a breastplate, and a helmet of salvation on his head.

Ephesians 6:14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and shaving put on the breastplate of righteousness.

Stay awake
Romans 12:2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.

Matthew 5, 6, & 7
What I believe is
1. being holy and righteous in the eye of God (not self-righteousness) is Clothing.
2. not involved in secular practices is Staying Awake. or sticking to Matthew 5, 6, & 7

What are your thoughts, brothers and sisters in Christ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2023, 01:21 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Oh Revelation. You silly "book" in the Bible. Who was paid what to include it?!?

God made the body, and their is no shame in it. God doesn't make mistakes. Run naked!

Staying awake is a different matter. People are mostly asleep these days. Wake up!

Wake up and run nekkid. You can carry the Bible if you want too, open to Revelation. Babble about legion and many headed monsters.

Old 10-09-2023, 01:34 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Nothing shameful about being naked. But I think that Revelation 16:15 is not referring to physical nakedness but rather to being clothed in the righteousness or clothing that God himself provides.

But there is also nothing wrong with being involved in secular practices, depending on the particular practice of course. It's just a matter of giving everything it's proper place regarding priorities.

Last edited by Michael Way; 10-09-2023 at 01:43 PM..

Old 10-09-2023, 01:52 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjack567 View Post
Rev 16:15 “Blessed is the one who stays awake and remains clothed, so as not to go naked and be shamefully exposed.”

What does it mean to stay awake and remain clothed?

What I believe is
1. being holy and righteous in the eye of God (not self-righteousness) is Clothing.
2. not involved in secular practices is Staying Awake. or sticking to Matthew 5, 6, & 7

What are your thoughts, brothers and sisters in Christ?
It's in reference to your last Passover in my opinion.

When you die, your waters will be divided and your waters will stand like walls so that the bottom of the sea is exposed.

All your sins are at the bottom of the sea, and if you have done good and overcome, nobody will see your nakedness, your sins.

That is only in reference to being clothed in good works and or study, you still have to purchase the oil, the healing balm.

Revelation
I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

The big problem here is that so few Christians know what this means, and if you tell Christians what it means, they won't believe it.

What is gold refined in the fire or the pearl where you are advised to buy the plot?

Before you can purchase oil, you first have to find an extra vessel, and that is the difference between the ten virgins and it's all saying the same thing, telling you to do a certain thing.

Old 10-09-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Oh Revelation. You silly "book" in the Bible. Who was paid what to include it?!?

God made the body, and their is no shame in it. God doesn't make mistakes. Run naked!

Staying awake is a different matter. People are mostly asleep these days. Wake up!

Wake up and run nekkid. You can carry the Bible if you want too, open to Revelation. Babble about legion and many headed monsters.
It's not literal nakedness or sleep, That's why quoted the other references.

Regarding Revelation as a book, in my understanding, if we remove all spiritual aspect from Rev, we will get Matthew 24 & 25.

Old 10-09-2023, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
But there is also nothing wrong with being involved in secular practices, depending on the particular practice of course. It's just a matter of giving everything it's proper place regarding priorities.
I agree with clothing!

This is true, but, for me, its been hard to differentiate what is acceptable and what's not.

Not for argument sake, but do you have an example where you were able to define which is allowed?

Old 10-09-2023, 03:16 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,696,783 times
I think it has to do with our characteristics and Peter describes it

2 Peter 1:3-9

This is separate from our allegiance or non-allegiance to the religious organisations we are brought up in

Old 10-09-2023, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
It's in reference to your last Passover in my opinion.

When you die, your waters will be divided and your waters will stand like walls so that the bottom of the sea is exposed.

All your sins are at the bottom of the sea, and if you have done good and overcome, nobody will see your nakedness, your sins.

That is only in reference to being clothed in good works and or study, you still have to purchase the oil, the healing balm.

Revelation
I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
That's an interesting explanation about the sea!

When you said good works, are you speaking only about what I do or are you including the righteousness that God gives? IMO, both goes hand in hand.

Quote:
The big problem here is that so few Christians know what this means, and if you tell Christians what it means, they won't believe it.
I know! How interesting it is that there is only one Teacher but we all have different version of understanding and each of us believe the others are wrong. That's why a discussion is a great way to be in union, IMO.

Old 10-09-2023, 03:21 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,696,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjack567 View Post
I agree with clothing!

This is true, but, for me, its been hard to differentiate what is acceptable and what's not.

Not for argument sake, but do you have an example where you were able to define which is allowed?
What is not allowed is deliberately lying, cheating, stealing, murder - for me it is about approaching everyone as honestly as I can rather than being judgemental about what other people are doing

Old 10-09-2023, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I think it has to do with our characteristics and Peter describes it

This is separate from our allegiance or non-allegiance to the religious organisations we are brought up in
That's a great set of verse! I am positing it here for every one!

Quote:
NIV
3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.
EDIT: I am also adding verse 10 and 11 to complete Peter's statement

Quote:
10 Therefore, my brothers and sisters,[a] make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, 11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Last edited by rjack567; 10-09-2023 at 03:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity