Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 07:21 PM

424 posts, read 92,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Christ commanded you to love your enemies. Enemies, you know, those who are not your brother and sisters.!
And you try to use scripture to excuse yourself?
The verse quoted about is about taking care of brothers and sisters. Love your enemy is different from taking care. You need to read my previous post. I said, brothers and sisters first.

BTW, why would I need to give my cloak to some one who sees me as an enemy when my own fellow brother is shivering in cold while I have only one cloak to spare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 07:53 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,124,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjack567 View Post
The verse quoted about is about taking care of brothers and sisters. Love your enemy is different from taking care. You need to read my previous post. I said, brothers and sisters first.

BTW, why would I need to give my cloak to some one who sees me as an enemy when my own fellow brother is shivering in cold while I have only one cloak to spare?
Quote:
Martin was born in AD 316 or 336 in Savaria in the Diocese of Pannonia (now Szombathely, Hungary). His father was a senior officer (tribune) in the Roman military. His father was then allowed veteran status and was given land on which to retire at Ticinum (now Pavia), in northern Italy, where Martin grew up.

At the age of 10 he attended the Christian church against the wishes of his parents and became a catechumen. Christianity had been made a legal religion (in 313) in the Roman Empire.

Martin's biographer, Sulpicius Severus c. 363 – c. 425, provided no dates in his chronology, so although he indicated that Martin served in the military "for nearly two years after his baptism," it is difficult for the historian to pin down the exact date of Martin's exit from military service. Still, historian Andre Mertens has provided this guidance: "He [Martin] served under the Roman emperor Constantine II (ruled 337-61) and afterwards under Julian (ruled 355-60)."

While Martin was a soldier in the Roman army and stationed in Gaul (modern-day France), he experienced a vision, which became the most-repeated story about his life. One day as he was approaching the gates of the city of Amiens, he met a scantily clad beggar. He impulsively cut his military cloak in half to share with the man. That night, Martin dreamed of Jesus wearing the half of the cloak he had given away. He heard Jesus say to some of the angels, "Martin, who is still but a catechumen, clothed me with this robe." (Sulpicius, ch 2).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulpicius_Severus

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, In as much as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Brethren means brothers, but Jesus used brethren to mean all of mankind, not as a literal brother.

Quote:
Matthew 12:48-50

Jesus asked, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?” Then he pointed to his disciples and said, “Look, these are my mother and brothers. Anyone who does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother!”
So not to be a hypocrite, I give to Christian charities and not Jewish or Muslim ones. However, Christian charities help everyone without concern for religion.

Old 10-23-2023, 08:11 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,380,351 times
Quote:
Where did Jesus ever say 'brothers and sisters first' ?

Quote:
Well, I guess you could give your spare cloak to your 'fellow brother',
and then invite the enemy into your nice warm home and share half your nice warm soup with them, right?

Old 10-23-2023, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulpicius_Severus

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, In as much as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Brethren means brothers, but Jesus used brethren to mean all of mankind, not as a literal brother.

So not to be a hypocrite, I give to Christian charities and not Jewish or Muslim ones. However, Christian charities help everyone without concern for religion.
That's what I am also saying, brothers and sisters are those who do the will of the Father. Aka brothers and sisters in Christ.

Not everyone in this world does the will of the Father! So, it's not a mandate to do for others, but I don't know if it'll be considered as done to Christ as there are brothers and sisters who are in need and need support.

Old 10-23-2023, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Where did Jesus ever say 'brothers and sisters first' ?
Looks like you've not read the quoted verses nor have time to open the bible to read.

Quote:
Well, I guess you could give your spare cloak to your 'fellow brother',
and then invite the enemy into your nice warm home and share half your nice warm soup with them, right?
So what you're saying is if you have 2 weapons you would give one to your enemy who wants to kill you? I hope you're not working as a police or in army.

Old 10-23-2023, 08:37 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,380,351 times
Quote:
Looks like you've not read the quoted verses nor have time to open the bible to read.
Jesus would not have forgotten what He taught in other verses/parables, to make some contradicting point.

Quote:
So what you're saying is if you have 2 weapons you would give one to your enemy who wants to kill you? I hope you're not working as a police or in army.
Weapons? from half a bowl of warm soup?
You lost me here.... ??

Old 10-24-2023, 07:10 AM

7,334 posts, read 4,124,944 times
Quote:
That's what I am also saying, brothers and sisters are those who do the will of the Father. Aka brothers and sisters in Christ.

Not everyone in this world does the will of the Father! So, it's not a mandate to do for others, but I don't know if it'll be considered as done to Christ as there are brothers and sisters who are in need and need support.
According to the New Testament, you help any stranger on the street who needs help without regard for religion.

You have a choice of what charities to support, however Christian charities help without regard for religion.

So basically, either by your hand or a formal charity - you are giving without regard for religion.

Quote:
Mathew 5:43

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[i] and hate your enemy.’

44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?

47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?

48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Old 10-24-2023, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Jesus would not have forgotten what He taught in other verses/parables, to make some contradicting point.
You are correct. I do not see even 1 parable where Jesus said "care" for your enemy before caring for your own brother, please show me where its written otherwise so I may also learn. What I know is, he said love your enemy so you don't take revenge on them - don't do "eye for an eye" as there is no one righteous - Matthew 5:38-44.

Care is voluntary. Verse 40 is talking about suing. It sounds like, give him what he wants plus more and get him out of your way, that not care.

Quote:
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.40And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.41If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.42Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’44But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,45that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?47And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Quote:
Weapons? from half a bowl of warm soup?
You lost me here.... ??
Never mind!

Old 10-24-2023, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
According to the New Testament, you help any stranger on the street who needs help without regard for religion.

You have a choice of what charities to support, however Christian charities help without regard for religion.

So basically, either by your hand or a formal charity - you are giving without regard for religion.
You are correct, we are supposed to take care of a stranger according to the good Samaritan parable, Jesus specifically did not mention who that person was. but I am speaking from Matthew 25:40 perspective, I dont know if it'll be considered but only God knows - IMO. This doesn't mean that I would stop helping someone on the road. That's like the Pharisee who walked on the other side and did not consider him as a neighbor.

Quote:
Matthew 25:40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
What I believe is, if there is a brother or a sister in Christ is in need and I know about it, they must be helped first.

Old 10-24-2023, 04:59 PM

529 posts, read 182,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
In discussions with my oft-mentioned never-stops-witnessing BIL, he asserted that the story of the rich young ruler was only directed at that one person. What? That's news to me.

I was talking about feeling somewhat guilty for enjoying an expensive vacation but sneakily trying to address their rather lavish lifestyle. Mercedes, Lexus, gardeners, even more expensive vacations, flying first class, fancy wine, etc. I wouldn't be critical of any of that if it were not for his relentless witnessing and he is a self-styled "mentor" to to others within their church.

I know in the OT, God blessed certain people with over-the-top wealth, but Jesus seems to have a different message.

So, the question is: was the rich young ruler story only directed at that one guy, or is it a message to all of us, as I'd always assumed.

And what does that message mean to you?
I don't know? I have priceless treasures beyond what anyone can comprehend, but my treasures are not monetary in value, they are Spiritual. I thank God for everything I have from the brand new car I bought, to having a bowl of cereal in the morning. I don't see any shame in having material possessions as long as you are humble and compassionate to people that are struggling in life. Besides I have a strange way of thinking, I have a new car I was blessed to buy, but I really don't think it belongs to me, it belongs to God and if He needs to take it away from me to help someone out it wouldn't bother me in the least!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity