Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 07:50 AM

1,339 posts, read 651,012 times

Advertisements

I saw an article the other day of a fossilized praying mantis that was found. Scientists found the fossil to be around 110 million years old. It made me curious... what was society like during that time? The first dinosaur, according to science, existed over 200 million years ago. Science says the evidence of the first human beings existed 2 million years ago. Again I ask, what was society like? Did religion exist?

Who came up with the idea of "God"? Who decided "hey, we need to worship God"? Christianity definitely did not exist until Jesus came. For a million years, there was no Christianity on a planet inhabited by humans, which also makes me wonder if the first humans ever asked themselves "what happens after we die?" or if they themselves had near-death experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2023, 07:59 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Man was created for the purpose of worshipping God. The origin of man was not accidental or without intention.

There was never a time that man was not religious, nor will there ever be a time.

There was no "idea of God" to come up with. God created the first man directly and "walked" with him in the garden according to Genesis 3.

The first man damaged mankind's relationship with God through his act of disobedience; but the knowledge of God and the knowledge of what was lost remained with him.

Old 10-25-2023, 08:18 AM

501 posts, read 167,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
I saw an article the other day of a fossilized praying mantis that was found. Scientists found the fossil to be around 110 million years old. It made me curious... what was society like during that time? The first dinosaur, according to science, existed over 200 million years ago. Science says the evidence of the first human beings existed 2 million years ago. Again I ask, what was society like? Did religion exist?

Who came up with the idea of "God"? Who decided "hey, we need to worship God"? Christianity definitely did not exist until Jesus came. For a million years, there was no Christianity on a planet inhabited by humans, which also makes me wonder if the first humans ever asked themselves "what happens after we die?" or if they themselves had near-death experiences.
One anthropological explanation for the rise of religion is that ancient peoples encountered the same panoply of afterlife-related phenomena we encounter today - ghosts, apparitions, mystical experiences, after-death communications (signs and dreams), mediumistic communications, near-death experiences, apparent instances of reincarnation, etc. - and logically posited a spiritual realm.

It's a popular and not entirely false meme that religion arose because our primitive ancestors had no way to account for puzzling and terrifying natural phenomena and tried to make sense of them by attributing them to gods. On the other hand, even many of us today derive a religious or spiritual awareness from the majesty of the universe - the heavens do indeed "proclaim the glory pf God" even for many modern scientists.

One rather interesting phenomenon is the explosion in sophistication, including religious sophistication, that occurred across the globe in some period beginning roughly 20,000 to roughly 5,000 years ago. It's quite remarkable and mysterious.

Old 10-25-2023, 08:34 AM

412 posts, read 137,463 times
Believe it or not, the origin of religion is the promotion of life. Life for whom is the question. In a sense, the same can be said for eugenicists.

Old 10-25-2023, 08:56 AM

43,073 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post

The best answers are the ones you find by you digging into history and archeology

Old 10-25-2023, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Man was created for the purpose of worshipping God. The origin of man was not accidental or without intention.

There was never a time that man was not religious, nor will there ever be a time.

There was no "idea of God" to come up with. God created the first man directly and "walked" with him in the garden according to Genesis 3.

The first man damaged mankind's relationship with God through his act of disobedience; but the knowledge of God and the knowledge of what was lost remained with him.
Well the Bible says otherwise:

The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath (Mark)

Old 10-25-2023, 09:07 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well the Bible says otherwise:

The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath (Mark)
The sabbath has nothing to do with worship. The sabbath has to do with rest from labor.

Old 10-25-2023, 09:10 AM

412 posts, read 137,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The best answers are the ones you find by you digging into history and archeology
Or using your common sense.

Old 10-25-2023, 09:39 AM

1,339 posts, read 651,012 times
Quote:

Interesting perspective. Let me ask you....what caused you to see things in this way? What caused you to believe that "man was created for the purpose of worshipping God?" I also believe that the creation of human beings has a cause. We are a result of evolution (I know evolution is not something everyone agrees to).

I also believe religion has always existed....but to what extent? For example, Christianity, for a million years (or more) never existed.

Another question....do you take the bible literally as in word-for-word? Do you believe in evolution?

Old 10-25-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
Or using your common sense.
You need more than common sense to answer the OP's question.

Archeology only provides fragments and so the stories are highly speculative because of lack of any written records.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity