Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2023, 02:47 PM

424 posts, read 91,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
When I used to think in theological / spiritual terms I would have said the same thing. I still see the principle, but just not in terms of symbolic snakes. For example, I note that most of the violent crimes in urban areas are in the middle of the night in the rough parts of town, so I avoid being in those places, at least at those times. OTOH many poor people have no choice but to be there, but maybe ought to hunker down within their homes. I note many such crimes -- the common ones like a fistfight, or uncommon yet heartbreaking ones like mass shootings -- tend to happen in and around places like bars and night clubs where people tend to be, shall we say, under the influence and therefore not sufficiently inhibited or rational. So I do not frequent such places. Etc.

And in more motivational terms like you're stating -- avoiding situations where one could be tempted to do things that are toxic, dysfunctional, harmful to self or others or violations of important social contracts -- it's pretty much the same principle. Never smoked, chewed or went with girls that do, as the saying has it. As for sex, I still think the psalmist's advice is good: "I have made an agreement with my eyes not to look upon a woman to lust after her". I just don't go there, and so my wife has no worries about me polecatting. Common sense principles like that, I'll adopt, whether I happen to see them in the Bible or somewhere else.
I don't know how I missed your post, but yes, ALL people have values. I certainly do not see other people as valueless, if so, I must be living on Mars or on top of a hill where there is no other human being. That also means that I've judged someone. The attempt for us to be a true follower of Jesus and to be a child of God is to try and find areas which we think are okay but in reality it's not, "being truthful and humble in every way." Hard stuff so we seek help from God because no one is perfect. Christianity is just a religion that's trying to bring that out. Anyone can be a Christ follower and become a child of God. But the world will label them as Christian. So religion is just a badge, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2023, 02:48 PM

424 posts, read 91,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
Huh?
do you have any questions?

Old 10-31-2023, 03:38 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjack567 View Post
In my words of Miss Hepburn's explanation of "Pray unceasingly" is Renewal of mind. Being aware of what you are thinking and "refocusing on things of heaven" AKA God and his works including his salvation.

One example, is forcefully changing the song that's in your mind from secular to a praise and worship song. When you see the joy that this brings, I bet you will never listen to secular songs anymore!

Another example is, forcefully changing the movie scene that's in your head while you are by yourself and think about how wonderful He and his throne will be. If you haven't read Rev 4, read it to see how it would look like in your imagination.

Maybe even praising God that you have reached the grocery store without a scratch. yes, we normally reach without a scratch but just praising for keeping those people away from your car.
That's right I might say gently as easily as clicking to a diff channel ...rather than 'forcefully', that's all.

If a baby crawls to the edge of the bed ...you don't forcefully put the baby back to the center...
You just gently pick them up and place them there..like
placing a needle back into the groove.
Ha - I WILL read Rev 4.

Old 11-02-2023, 06:54 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
My oft-mentioned BIL and I are having an online discussion on the Atonement and he quoted Gal. 6:14.

I said it confused me and here is his response:

I understand that when he said the world is crucified to me it means that he has died to the alluring power of the world. The pleasures of the world no longer hold the same attraction and pull for him as it did before he accepted Christ.

I said it sounded like Paul was describing an ascetic. Like a nun or monk.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/ascetic

I also said I knew of no one who lived like that. That the "world" held no allure for them. BIL with his luxury cars and fine wines certainly doesn't. Nor my devout dad with his classic car collection.

I suggested it was some hyperbole on Paul's part, like when Jesus said to "hate" your mother and father.

So once again, it sounds like just a matter of degree, that we define for ourselves. Nothing clear-cut.

Thoughts?
Our desire for that which is created is just that. A desire for that which is not the Creator.

The extent of that desire for the created, will influence our desire for the Creator.

I have found that when I GREATFULLY hold the created in an open hand I'm close to the mark.

Not so much in a clinched fist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity