Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2023, 08:21 AM

3,485 posts, read 1,406,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Uhhh, because I'm a Christian and I was raised in an ELCA Church. I have no idea what you are getting at. My mom was Catholic and so is my wife and I've been to many Catholic masses. I do feel a spiritual connection in a Catholic mass but I only feel the openness in the ELCA Church.

For your second statement, again.....you never responded to my question: Where in the bible does it say you have to go to Sunday mass? Making the Sabbath day Holy does not mean going to church. Even if it did, "church" does not mean going to mass. Who the heck said it is an obligation to enter heaven? If you say "The Catholic Church says it is an obligation", then we will disagree. Quote scripture, not the Catholic Church.

Also, the bible says you should confess your sins. I can sit at home and confess my sins directly to God without problem. No need to go to a priest to confess my sins (I've literally heard a Catholic priest say it is totally ok to confess your sins without a priest).

Dude, you are literally repeating everything the Catholic Church teaches. I will disagree everytime you say the word "ONLY".

I highly doubt a priest would tell you that confessing your sins at home is a replacement for confession. Yes, you can confess at home, but you should also go to confession regularly as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2023, 08:26 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
If there is a True Faith that has been once for all delivered to the saints, and if the Catholic Church is indeed the guardian of that Deposit of Faith, then yes; dissent from it would accurately be described as "missing the mark" or an imperfection, i.e. sin.

If I didn't believe that, then what exactly would be the point in my being Catholic? Presbyterians had better pot lucks and Protestantism as a whole required next to nothing of me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, I believe that the "True Faith" as you put it was lost many, many centuries ago, was later restored and that it is held today by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. That certainly doesn't mean that I believe the world's 2.4 billion non-LDS Christians are sinning by not being LDS. We know that we are all walking in faith and are seeing "through a glass darkly." None of us has any solid proof that what we believe is true. Most Christians trust the Holy Spirit for guidance, but so far, that hasn't united us. When all is said and done and all of us have access to the truth directly from its Source, then maybe we can talk about our differences in belief as being sinful. Until then, I don't think we're in much of a position to do so.

The point might very well be that you deeply believe it to be true. You don't need to label everyone who disagrees with you (even it it turns out that you're right and they're wrong) as a sinner. Sounds to me as if that's judging, and you know what Jesus had to say about judging.
I don't necessarily disagree with your point here. I was using the word "sin" in an extremely general way, which is why I used the terms "missing the mark" and "imperfection" as they more accurately describe my meaning.

"Sin" is a very nuanced term in Catholicism and can mean many different things -- not all of which send anyone to hell. In this sense, even the greatest saint is still a "sinner", until he actually reaches a state of perfection and perfect union with God.

Old 11-14-2023, 08:32 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Sometimes you have to listen to and obey your conscience, too. Just sayin'.
Absolutely - if one has a well-formed conscience!

Old 11-14-2023, 09:30 AM

1,339 posts, read 651,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Compwiz02 - have you ever asked yourself Why did Jesus tell the people they Must Listen to 'those who sit in Moses seat' (yes, even though Jesus knew they were thoroughly corrupted!) and 'be careful to do everything they tell you to do' in Matthew 23:2-3 ?
Yes, I've seen people use that verse before. It's a good verse. Jesus is saying to follow the instructions of the people but do not mimic their actions. In other words, respect the role of the person who is giving you the instruction and follow that instruction but do not BE that person.

Though there are other verses that say to be very careful of what you are told because there are false sheep. How would you react to someone who instructed you to do something against the will of God?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I highly doubt a priest would tell you that confessing your sins at home is a replacement for confession. Yes, you can confess at home, but you should also go to confession regularly as well.
Says who? Where in the bible does it say you have to go to confession? Note...there is a difference between confessing your sins and actually going to confession. One is biblical. The other is a teaching from the Catholic Church.

Old 11-14-2023, 09:53 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,057 times
Quote:
Yes, I've seen people use that verse before. It's a good verse. Jesus is saying to follow the instructions of the people but do not mimic their actions. In other words, respect the role of the person who is giving you the instruction and follow that instruction but do not BE that person.

Though there are other verses that say to be very careful of what you are told because there are false sheep. How would you react to someone who instructed you to do something against the will of God?
Jesus specified who you should be listening to - those sitting in the authority role that The Lord established!
Not just any 'people'.
And Jesus didn't specify 'the bible alone' here . . .
Think about it.

Old 11-14-2023, 10:30 AM

1,339 posts, read 651,012 times
Quote:
Jesus specified who you should be listening to - those sitting in the authority role that The Lord established!
Not just any 'people'.
Think about it.
yea yea I know. don't overcomplicate the post I made....

You also skipped over the other statement I made. If a person of authority gave instructions that was false and went against the will of God, would you follow it?

Old 11-14-2023, 10:38 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
If a person of authority gave instructions that was false and went against the will of God, would you follow it?
I know you weren't asking me; but I would say that we cannot always know the will of God, so how could we definitively say that an instruction was in line with or against the will of God? I'm not sure I understand what it means for an instruction to be "false"...

Of course if someone in authority instructs us to sin, then we must not obey.

Old 11-14-2023, 10:49 AM

23,138 posts, read 10,431,246 times
Quote:
Not just any 'people'.
Think about it.
Yep, the most fun parts aren't in the bible, its learning a secret about the bible from an outside source, and thank God we have sources available to unlock scripture.

Old 11-14-2023, 11:51 AM

4,859 posts, read 450,647 times
By now, in this thread, I feel the need to express this:
The Wise Shopper should really stick to shopping, until s/he does quite a bit more living and learning. S/he sounds just like me, a lotta years ago.

Old 11-14-2023, 11:54 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Well, this "Pope" is a walking disaster.
Why, because he's so Christ-like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity