Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 12:40 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Because it either actually redeemed us or it didn't.
Why does that matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2023, 12:43 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Christianity is above any religious church / denomination (incl. Catholicism). If you get that order reversed, you'll come to all kinds of erroneous conclusions and confusions.

Old 11-13-2023, 12:45 PM

1,339 posts, read 651,012 times
Quote:
I believe the same thing that has always been believed. Namely, that when a validly ordained priest says the words of consecration in the liturgy, that the bread and wine really and truly become the Body and Blood of Christ. Read the early Church Fathers for yourself and see what they had to say.

Of course without a validly ordained priest (such as during a Protestant service), nothing happens to the bread and wine. They are and remain mere symbols.

Whether rejecting the Catholic Faith makes you a "bad person" or not, I can't say. But consciously rejecting the Catholic Faith certainly puts one in a very dangerous place.

Pray that the Father will grant that you are among those called to follow Christ. As Jesus said, no one can follow Him unless the Father has granted it.
How do you define a "validly ordained priest"? A priest who is ordained in a Church that has a direct lineage to the apostles? In that case, many Protestant denominations claim and assert that they have lineage to the apostles.

I do not reject the Catholic faith. I simply choose not to identify as Catholic. Maybe my beliefs will change 5 years from now, maybe 10 years from now....who knows. My current belief is that a person who loves, believes in, accepts, and follows God does not have to identify as any denomination, whether that be Catholicism, Lutheran, Baptist, etc. I am simply a "follower in Christ" or a "Christian" which is probably the only label I would accept. Even the label of being "Christian" is man-made.

Old 11-13-2023, 12:50 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Why does that matter?
That's what either makes Christianity worth bothering about or not. If the historicity of the Gospel accounts is of no consequence, then why are we even bothering with any of this? Living a Christian life is incredibly difficult, and becoming more difficult all the time. Why suffer and sacrifice for a symbol or a metaphor?

Old 11-13-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
How do you define a "validly ordained priest"? A priest who is ordained in a Church that has a direct lineage to the apostles?
More or less, yes.

Quote:
In that case, many Protestant denominations claim and assert that they have lineage to the apostles.
That's not true. There are not "many", but only a handful of Protestant sects that claim apostolic succession -- some branches of Lutheranism being some of them.

Just because a group *claims* apostolic succession, does not necessarily mean that their claims are valid. Each claim has to be evaluated.

Quote:
I do not reject the Catholic faith. I simply choose not to identify as Catholic.
The Catholic Faith is not a piecemeal thing. If you reject one part of it, you reject it all. We are not free to pick and choose which beliefs we will hold to. We are called to belief and assent to all that God has revealed, not only to the parts we prefer or find more palatable.

Old 11-13-2023, 01:01 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
The death and resurrection of Jesus did not just happen in someone's mind. They are actual events that took place in human history. The Body and Blood of Jesus are not imaginary or symbolic. It is real human flesh.
They are events that our ancestors perpetrated in rejection of Jesus as the Son of God, NOT what God demanded for ANY reason! The purpose of the ritual is to REMEMBER Jesus the Son of God who accomplished our salvation by revealing God's True Nature at great personal cost and to evoke the states of mind associated with God's Holy Spirit of agape, period. What we BECOME in our mind (Spirit) is what concerns God because that is who we ARE, period.

Old 11-13-2023, 01:09 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:
That's what either makes Christianity worth bothering about or not. If the historicity of the Gospel accounts is of no consequence, then why are we even bothering with any of this? Living a Christian life is incredibly difficult, and becoming more difficult all the time. Why suffer and sacrifice for a symbol or a metaphor?
Why indeed.

Old 11-13-2023, 01:14 PM

Quote:
More or less, yes.

That's not true. There are not "many", but only a handful of Protestant sects that claim apostolic succession -- some branches of Lutheranism being some of them.

Just because a group *claims* apostolic succession, does not necessarily mean that their claims are valid. Each claim has to be evaluated.

The Catholic Faith is not a piecemeal thing. If you reject one part of it, you reject it all. We are not free to pick and choose which beliefs we will hold to. We are called to belief and assent to all that God has revealed, not only to the parts we prefer or find more palatable.
So we need some definitions.

Since you are Catholic, you believe in the Roman Catholic belief that a priest is "valid" ONLY if they have been ordained and "touched" by an already ordained priest/pope/bishop.

Protestants reject this and go by scripture meaning as long as the pastor/bishop continues on with the teachings of Jesus and continues on with preaching the faith in Jesus, the Church shall continue.

I am assuming you accept definition #1 from the RCC. Going back to your statement about the search for the truth. Does the truth lie within the Roman Catholic Church? You most likely say yes. I say no. I say the truth is in the bible and is revealed when we focus our attention on God.

If your last paragraph is true, then there are many Catholics who reject their entire faiths. I know there are many Catholics who do not agree 100% with everything in the Catholic Church.

Old 11-13-2023, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Going back to your statement about the search for the truth. Does the truth lie within the Roman Catholic Church? You most likely say yes. I say no. I say the truth is in the bible and is revealed when we focus our attention on God.
Jesus is Truth. Where can we find Jesus? He is physically present in every Catholic tabernacle in the world, so that's a good starting point.

St. Paul calls the church "the pillar and ground of the truth" in 1 Timothy 3:15. Surely St. Paul had something very specific in mind when he said "the church", since the claims of different churches and sects often contradict one another and make mutually exclusive claims. What is "the church", and how do we know?

Quote:
If your last paragraph is true, then there are many Catholics who reject their entire faiths.
This is undoubtedly true.

Old 11-13-2023, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Jesus is Truth. Where can we find Jesus? He is physically present in every Catholic tabernacle in the world, so that's a good starting point.

St. Paul calls the church "the pillar and ground of the truth" in 1 Timothy 3:15. Surely St. Paul had something very specific in mind when he said "the church", since the claims of different churches and sects often contradict one another and make mutually exclusive claims. What is "the church", and how do we know?
How do you define "physically present"?

Regarding the church, I define church as the people of Christ aka His followers.

How do you define "the church"? And how do you know that your definition is the truth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity