Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 12:25 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,804,521 times

Advertisements

Begins December 3, the first Sunday in December.

Years ago, attending a woman's Christmas luncheon before Advent, shortly after Thanksgiving, the speaker suggested we ask family members what traditions they wanted to keep ie cutting a fresh tree, eliminate ie Grandma's date cookies. Then told about Advent, gave 24 Scripture verses to read, 1 an evening.

So ! At the dinner that evening, husband, 2 teenage sons did just the above. We decided to have Advent. Each evening, 10, 15 minutes we read the Scripture for the day. Christmas day, peaceful. Asked our sons, what the thought about celebrating Advent.
Now we know what Christmas is all about, was the reply ! The coming of Jesus, the day chosen to celebrate His birth.

Do you celebrate Advent ? If so, please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2023, 10:24 AM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post

It's my favorite time of the year!

We have an advent wealth/candles which we light every night.

Quote:
Advent candle weeks, names & colors

Advent week 1 – Hope: Prophecy Candle (purple)
Advent week 2 – Peace: Bethlehem Candle (purple)
Advent week 3 – Joy: Shepherd’s Candle (pink)
Advent week 4 – Love: Angel’s Candle (purple)
https://hallow.com/blog/advent-candl...dvent-wreaths/

We set up our nativity set without Mary, Joseph & Jesus. Mary and Joseph were added before Christmas and baby Jesus was added on Christmas morning.

When my kids were young, once a week, we did an arts & crafts project - like decorating homemade wrapping paper with potato stamps, baking cookies, decorating jars for tea light candles, etc. in preparation of Christmas.

We also did something unusual. We celebrated St. Nick's Day on December 6th & the Epiphany on January 7th. Our reason was we didn't want Christmas Day to be a commercial present grab day. By spreading out the presents on three days, it emphasis the importance of each day.

Celebrating St. Nick's, Christmas and Epiphany teaches the Christmas story. We also celebrated St. Lucy's Day on December 13th with a special breakfast. The story of the Three Wise Men and St. Nick's and St. Lucy's Day enforces the message of Jesus' birth. It's more than a once a year event that disappears after the presents are opened.

The entire Christian Calendar is really a work of beauty and spiritualism which should be celebrated.

BTW, Great topic! Glad Sera started this thread!

Old 11-26-2023, 02:08 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
It's my favorite time of the year!

We have an advent wealth/candles which we light every night.

https://hallow.com/blog/advent-candl...dvent-wreaths/

We set up our nativity set without Mary, Joseph & Jesus. Mary and Joseph were added before Christmas and baby Jesus was added on Christmas morning.

When my kids were young, once a week, we did an arts & crafts project - like decorating homemade wrapping paper with potato stamps, baking cookies, decorating jars for tea light candles, etc. in preparation of Christmas.

We also did something unusual. We celebrated St. Nick's Day on December 6th & the Epiphany on January 7th. Our reason was we didn't want Christmas Day to be a commercial present grab day. By spreading out the presents on three days, it emphasis the importance of each day.

Celebrating St. Nick's, Christmas and Epiphany teaches the Christmas story. We also celebrated St. Lucy's Day on December 13th with a special breakfast. The story of the Three Wise Men and St. Nick's and St. Lucy's Day enforces the message of Jesus' birth. It's more than a once a year event that disappears after the presents are opened.

The entire Christian Calendar is really a work of beauty and spiritualism which should be celebrated.

BTW, Great topic! Glad Sera started this thread!
That's nice that you actually celebrate the real reason behind Christmas and made it special in this way for your kids while they were growing up.

Old 11-26-2023, 02:30 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,298,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post

Years ago, attending a woman's Christmas luncheon before Advent, shortly after Thanksgiving, the speaker suggested we ask family members what traditions they wanted to keep ie cutting a fresh tree, eliminate ie Grandma's date cookies. Then told about Advent, gave 24 Scripture verses to read, 1 an evening.

So ! At the dinner that evening, husband, 2 teenage sons did just the above. We decided to have Advent. Each evening, 10, 15 minutes we read the Scripture for the day. Christmas day, peaceful. Asked our sons, what the thought about celebrating Advent.
Now we know what Christmas is all about, was the reply ! The coming of Jesus, the day chosen to celebrate His birth.

I prefer Advent to Christmas, because there is no secular Advent..........we make a homemade Advent wreath each year and do the daily readings......although TBH it's more like we catch up on the weekends........We also put up a Nativity.

My kids have small Christmas Trees in their rooms, but no big one for the house, I don't see the point. I prefer the Advent wreath with its LED candles and Nativity as our decorations.

Old 11-26-2023, 03:01 PM

4,859 posts, read 450,647 times
My church is careful to use ADVENT carols, not Christmas carols, until Christmas Eve comes, with the actual start of the CHRISTMAS season. When I was pastoring, I tried and tried to explain the difference. But they wanted to do CHRISTMAS carols, early. Eventually, I gave up. If people refuse to learn, what can you do?

"If people don't want to come out to the ballpark, how ya gonna stop 'em?" ---Yogi Berra.

Last edited by sitonmywhat; 11-26-2023 at 03:41 PM..

Old 11-26-2023, 04:05 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
My church is careful to use ADVENT carols, not Christmas carols, until Christmas Eve comes, with the actual start of the CHRISTMAS season. When I was pastoring, I tried and tried to explain the difference. But they wanted to do CHRISTMAS carols, early. Eventually, I gave up. If people refuse to learn, what can you do?

"If people don't want to come out to the ballpark, how ya gonna stop 'em?" ---Yogi Berra.

Episcopalian here. To us, Christmas begins at sunset on December 24 and lasts until Epiphany.

Advent has always been considered to be a little Lent, a time of contemplation and waiting. But now people are too busy putting up Christmas trees by mid-November. I don't want to be That Guy, but at least let the church calendar do its beautiful work.

Old 11-26-2023, 04:10 PM

4,859 posts, read 450,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Episcopalian here. To us, Christmas begins at sunset on December 24 and lasts until Epiphany.

Advent has always been considered to be a little Lent, a time of contemplation and waiting. But now people are too busy putting up Christmas trees by mid-November. I don't want to be That Guy, but at least let the church calendar do its beautiful work.
I'm an unofficial Espiscopalian here, too.

Old 11-26-2023, 04:45 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
I'm an unofficial Espiscopalian here, too.
They seem to have accepted me too because of my charitable works and $$$ not due to my beliefs

SO today an intersting speech by the priest regarding the parable of the sheep and goats
to paraphrase, it is NOT the fatalistic lesson that many protestants love (ie You Better believe what we say boy or there's gonna be trouble [whip Cracks] ) Instead it is an invitation that anyone who practices good works will be accepted....and in ref to the faith vs works argument, if you do not have good works to demonstrate what you believe then you probably do not have good faith either.....
the parable shows that those who help the least will be accepted

Wonder if that includes stray cats? because we seem to do that too

ANYWAY I thought it was a great lesson to kick off Advent, my favorite season of the year..... used to go only at advent, then only at Christmas eve

Because I work in a charitable group i have been showing up on Sundays for the charity meetings And Advent is a great charitable time

Although we do charity year round, as Dickens said Christmas is the time when people “open their shut-up hearts freely, and think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave”.

Advent is a great time to bring others on board to help with our works to bring others into our outreach for the needy and homeless.

SO ye DVENT Traditions

Well, daily inspirational (sometimes non Christian but Charity based) readings
Decorations to the extreme (you know it is the Christmas season at the Big Cat's House)
Increased charitable giving.

And believe it or not, this non believing cat LOVES The Christmas season, a season of hope, peace and love
And the most beautiful magical time of the year.

Old 11-26-2023, 04:50 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
ON a comical note, My Friend made a hand carved Nativity set for me years ago. It remains under my tree annually. He is a gifted wood-worker and carpenter and I cherish the gift he made for me.

We have a train around the tree. When my son was little, he would always play with the train (why not?) He told hims mom once that he had to send the train around the tree one more, and when she asked why, he said "Because I missed the train station"
To this day, the nativity building is still tongue in cheek referred to as "the train station"

Last edited by LargeKingCat; 11-26-2023 at 05:14 PM..

Old 11-26-2023, 04:57 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,804,521 times
Christmas Day, youngest son, family spends with in-laws, King's Day ?, January 6 ? I'll celebrate with them.

We also have a birthday cake for Jesus, it is the day we celebrate His birth.

sitonmywhat, you remind me of the song sung by Tevye, from Fiddler on the Roof,
Tradition, TRADITION !

Peace/Shalom !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity