Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2024, 02:24 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Why didn’t you answer my questions? Id appreciate if you did. Thank you in advance.

I’m not familiar with Babylonian feasts or mysteries. Are you speaking of Christianity? Please explain.
What difference would it make?

I am all for people going to church, I am all for people having a worship system that in some way references a spirit in the sky.

Your worship system was built specifically against Jews, your Sabbath, Easter and Christmas was adopted to separate from Jews who walked in the same religion as Jesus. Jesus took down the wall of separation to add Gentiles to the chosen nation of Jews, but then the Gentiles purposely converted back to their former pagan ways in their desire to separate from the Jew..

So you get your wish, you are separated, but dont pretend that anything in your worship system is following the example of a Loyal Jew who honored the Sabbarh and the 7 Jewish feasts.

The Christian worship system origins is just racism, but it's much much more, it is a separation of what makes a Jew, and that is their religion. I dont blame Christian's or think they are racist and bad, but your origins are. That was a long time ago.

I certainly dont believe you are going to hell or that you will be punished, I dont think like that.

Just saying, you should leave Jesus own example out of it unless you want to prove Jesus was a law breaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2024, 02:26 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I enjoy Ecclesiastes. My favorite verses are in Ecclesiastes.

However the context of chapter 4, death and pondering what has value, does NOT fit into this thread at all.

I think this was an extreme misapplication of scripture.
Here’s what Matthew Henry’s commentary says about that passage, to show that I am not alone in my application.

(1.) Occasional succour in an exigency. It is good for two to travel together, for if one happen to fall, he may be lost for want of a little help. If a man fall into sin, his friend will help to restore him with the spirit of meekness; if he fall into trouble, his friend will help to comfort him and assuage his grief. (2.) Mutual warmth. As a fellow-traveller is of use (amicus pro vehiculo—a friend is a good substitute for a carriage) so is a bedfellow: If two lie together, they have heat. So virtuous and gracious affections are excited by good society, and Christians warm one another by provoking one another to love and to good works. (3.) United strength. If an enemy find a man alone, he is likely to prevail against him; with his own single strength he cannot make his part good, but, if he have a second, he may do well enough: two shall withstand him. "You shall help me against my enemy, and I will help you against yours;" according to the agreement between Joab and Abishai (2 Sam 10 11), and so both are conquerors; whereas, acting separately, both would have been conquered; as was said of the ancient Britons, when the Romans invaded them, Dum singuli pugnant, universi vin****ur—While they fight in detached parties, they sacrifice the general cause. In our spiritual warfare we may be helpful to one another as well as in our spiritual work; next to the comfort of communion with God, is that of the communion of saints. He concludes with this proverb, A threefold cord is not easily broken, any more than a bundle of arrows, though each single thread, and each single arrow, is. Two together he compares to a threefold cord; for where two are closely joined in holy love and fellowship, Christ will by his Spirit come to them, and make the third, as he joined himself to the two disciples going to Emmaus, and then there is a threefold cord that can never be broken. They that dwell in love, dwell in God, and God in them.

Old 01-19-2024, 02:46 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Assembling naturally followed conversion in the NT. The Roman Christians, Corinthian Christians, Galatian and Ephesian Christians, etc. all assembled together for worship. God’s people have always assembled together to give Him praise, honor and glory.

<snip>.
I wonder where we mere humans ever get the notion that we can add anything to God's INFINITE honor and Glory by our praise. Praise and prayer are ALWAYS for our spiritual benefit, NOT God's.

Old 01-19-2024, 02:51 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Assembling naturally followed conversion in the NT. The Roman Christians, Corinthian Christians, Galatian and Ephesian Christians, etc. all assembled together for worship. God’s people have always assembled together to give Him praise, honor and glory.

Very good question, Submariner. The best answer I can give is that the Christians we read about in the NT assembled for worship, even at the risk of being persecuted. Ask yourself why Paul wrote in Hebrews 10:25 to not neglect the assembling of yourselves together. Think about what Christians were going through at that time. Many feared assembling. Paul, by inspiration of the Holy Spirit, was encouraging them to assemble no matter what.
In our church's study the primary purpose in the NT for entering in to a synagogue was to bring those people out away from such a building.

The NT passages describe meeting in people's homes.

And as you have found there seems to be one passage saying do not neglect meeting with others. Iron sharpens iron.

Old 01-19-2024, 02:54 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,382,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
So, when I take my invalid Christian brother to his doctor appointment, it’s because he’s not a true believer?
Huh? Maybe he's closer to the Lord than any of us will ever be.

Old 01-19-2024, 03:19 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,270,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
What difference would it make?

I am all for people going to church, I am all for people having a worship system that in some way references a spirit in the sky.

Your worship system was built specifically against Jews, your Sabbath, Easter and Christmas was adopted to separate from Jews who walked in the same religion as Jesus. Jesus took down the wall of separation to add Gentiles to the chosen nation of Jews, but then the Gentiles purposely converted back to their former pagan ways in their desire to separate from the Jew..

So you get your wish, you are separated, but dont pretend that anything in your worship system is following the example of a Loyal Jew who honored the Sabbarh and the 7 Jewish feasts.

The Christian worship system origins is just racism, but it's much much more, it is a separation of what makes a Jew, and that is their religion. I dont blame Christian's or think they are racist and bad, but your origins are. That was a long time ago.

I certainly dont believe you are going to hell or that you will be punished, I dont think like that.

Just saying, you should leave Jesus own example out of it unless you want to prove Jesus was a law breaker.
You don’t know me Hannibal. You don’t know how I worship. You’re making assumptions. Easter and Christmas are man made traditions. I don’t follow either. For what it’s worth, I was raised in Catholicism. I left it at a very young age. Once I was exposed to the Scriptures, that’s what I chose to follow.

Jesus is my authority. I do my best to follow the patterns established by Him and His apostles found in the NT. They assembled together on a regular basis. So do I.

Have a blessed night! And thanks for the discussion.

Kate

Old 01-19-2024, 03:19 PM

Quote:
In our church's study the primary purpose in the NT for entering in to a synagogue was to bring those people out away from such a building.

And as you have found there seems to be one passage saying do not neglect meeting with others. Iron sharpens iron.
Lol, that is just wrong.

There is no plan to get people away from a building. If you are a Catholic, you should go to church, Baptist and Methodist, you should all attend.

Old 01-19-2024, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Huh? Maybe he's closer to the Lord than any of us will ever be.
The OP is very clear about disabled people.

Old 01-19-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:

Christians can assemble anywhere!

Are you suggesting that the Christians we read about in the NT did not assemble?

Old 01-19-2024, 03:27 PM

Quote:
You don’t know me Hannibal. You don’t know how I worship. You’re making assumptions. Easter and Christmas are man made traditions. I don’t follow either. For what it’s worth, I was raised in Catholicism. I left it at a very young age. Once I was exposed to the Scriptures, that’s what I chose to follow.

Jesus is my authority. I do my best to follow the patterns established by Him and His apostles found in the NT. They assembled together on a regular basis. So do I.

Have a blessed night! And thanks for the discussion.

Kate
Sorry, I knew you were Carholic, but I assumed.

The point is unity or separation, I dont know you, you are right, I only know you dont practice the worship system of the bible, Jesus walked in God's recorded worship system.

Your opening post is trying to define what a Christian is by who follows the example of Jesus in his worship ststem, Jesus attendance and worship system has little to do with modern Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity