Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 08:02 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
When I read the first post, I thought that the author may be playing some sort of a game, i.e., "JW's, also known as 'Mormons." What the . . .? Yes, that comment appeared to be too deliberate rather than a mere mistake. I'm still not sure that it wasn't deliberate though why anyone would do that I have no idea.

Anyway, the visiting Mormon 'boys', usually from the U.S., to my home was always a pleasant experience for both me and them. The regular 'elders' and I actually became friends during their stay here in Australia. One Sunday evening a friend and I attended a 'Fireside Chat' program at the local LDS Church where we sang a couple of songs to the congregation. It was that evening when I seriously considered joining the church. However, I'm still sitting on the fence in regard to 'church' in general.
Perhaps if people stopped to think about the complete name of the so-called "Mormon Church," they'd be able to more easily make the distinction between the JWs and the LDS. The name of the church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. When people think they are being accurate by calling us the Church of the Latter-day Saints, they omit the two most important words in the name of the Church: Jesus Christ. We testify of Jesus Christ as the Savior of the World, and the JW's "stress the vindication of Jehovah’s name" over the salvation of mankind. (I've never understood why Jehovah needs to be vindicated, but that's a topic for another thread.) (Source: Watchtower Online Library)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2024, 08:13 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,900,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Yeah I’d noticed SDAs often get mixed in there too with the other two.
Particularly in a fairly irreligious and secular country like Australia, it’s not uncommon.
People often mix up all these denominations, and/or have just heard of the “no blood transfusion thing” etc.
When I was a part of the SDA church and became a coordinator of the Friday night soup kitchen that we would take to the streets, we were regularly inundated with, "You guys aren't allowed to give blood or eat meat, right?" My pat response would be, "You've got us confused with Jehovah's Witnesses on the first thing and on the second thing, "No, we can eat whatever we want to eat."

NO church would ever dictate to me what I am 'allowed' to eat. However,' the SDA Church does have a general health program that delves into all manner of healthy living, including diet, but this 'not allowed' nonsense is just that. When I was a part of the SDA youth scene it was not uncommon for all the youth and their leaders to finish up a Saturday night meet with a trip to McDonald's. This may (I really don't know) have caused a bit of eye-rolling by a few of the 'dyed-in-the-wool' SDAs, but I don't ever remember it ever having become even a discussion point.

Old 03-18-2024, 08:22 PM

19,973 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Pretty darned good, Mordant. Just a couple of corrections, one of them being very minor. I'm not sure where you came up with the "P" in Joseph Smith's name, because he didn't have a middle name; it was just Joseph Smith, Jr. The other correction is that the Jews whom we believe came to the American continent weren't a lost tribe. It was just a group of a half dozen or so people who were from the tribe of Ephraim, I believe.
Thanks KP. Honestly I don't know where that "P" came from, either. As I age, the brainfarts come closer and closer together, lol

Old 03-18-2024, 08:31 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,900,926 times
Perhaps you experienced 'a call of nature' while typing?

Old 03-18-2024, 11:35 PM

1,339 posts, read 651,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
When I read the first post, I thought that the author may be playing some sort of a game, i.e., "JW's, also known as 'Mormons." What the . . .? Yes, that comment appeared to be too deliberate rather than a mere mistake. I'm still not sure that it wasn't deliberate though why anyone would do that I have no idea.
It wasn't deliberate. In my mind, Mormons and JWs seem like the same people. LDS, to me, is not a very popular or common label. Mormons and JW are like everyday terms. LDS seems very formal so it doesn't come to my mind as quickly. I couldn't tell the difference between any of the three.

Old 03-19-2024, 06:02 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
It wasn't deliberate. In my mind, Mormons and JWs seem like the same people. LDS, to me, is not a very popular or common label. Mormons and JW are like everyday terms. LDS seems very formal so it doesn't come to my mind as quickly. I couldn't tell the difference between any of the three.
I guess that is ok and I can kind of see that from the stand point that they both knock on doors and they are somewhat insular (although the LDS is becoming more accessible to mainstream Americans over the last half century or so).

But doctrinally, they aren't even close.

I do think the fact that LDS, JW and SDA kind of emerged in the same time period might have something to do with them being "lumped together" so to speak. In essence, I imagine the treatment that they all got at the hands of the general population were somewhat similar (although the Mormons obviously got the worst of it).

Old 03-19-2024, 06:28 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Has anyone ever been approached by Jehova's Witnesses aka Mormons? Did you say yes to listening to whatever scriptures they wanted to read?

I've been approached a couple times. A couple of young girls noticed me and asked me if I was interested in hearing some scripture. I respectfully said "no, thanks". They didn't force anything. I was walking my dog and they asked me if they could pet my dog. I said "sure, you can! he's friendly!". And then my dog started growling at them LOL. I have no idea why. My dog is normally super friendly but he does growl when a stranger tries to approach him. But the girls were very friendly even if I rejected their offer to hear the scripture they wanted to read to me. They smiled and told me to have a nice night (it is usually night time when I see them while walking my dog).
I enjoy it. Have quite a bit of experience with them. Nothing wrong with having a nice conversation. If they want to share their faith, they'll hear the Gospel.

I've also been on the other side -- doing the door-knocking. Again, I enjoy hearing other people's thoughts. Maybe we agree, maybe not. It's good to talk. We can disagree and still be friendly.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:20 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,264,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I enjoy it. Have quite a bit of experience with them. Nothing wrong with having a nice conversation. If they want to share their faith, they'll hear the Gospel.

I've also been on the other side -- doing the door-knocking. Again, I enjoy hearing other people's thoughts. Maybe we agree, maybe not. It's good to talk. We can disagree and still be friendly.
My congregation door knocks. It’s one of my favorite things to do. I love meeting and talking with people. I find it uplifting. No one has ever slammed the door in my face or been rude. Sometimes they simply won’t open their doors, and that’s ok. It’s been my experience to learn that most folks are unchurched. It’s not because they want to be. It’s because they are so busy with life, work, family, kids, sports, etc.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:21 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
I guess things have changed since the 1970’s. The new lingo is “Flirt to Convert”. There appears to be a whole Reddit thread on this very topic.

Mormons? as the song goes.. In 1978 God changed his mind about black people.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:27 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Mormons? as the song goes.. In 1978 God changed his mind about black people.
True. Brigham Young and Joe Smith taught dark skin was the curse of Cain and Ham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity