Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 07:50 AM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
I think it depends on what translation one is using. Most English Bibles say credited to him, accounted to him, or reckoned to him. The KJV uses imputed. It’s possible he/she is using something other than KJ.
I myself almost never use the King James Bible. The words 'impute' and 'credit' are synonymous. They mean the same thing. The Greek word is logizomai. My original pastor used the word 'imputed' and I just became used to using it. But perhaps 'credited' is more familiar to people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 09:05 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
You cannot compare a relationship between two fallible humans to our relationship to God. We are fallible and God is infallible. Apples and oranges.
And yet you are doing just that when you insist that someone had to be punished for our sins. You are saying that God's demands are like those of our human legal systems. "SOMEBODY HAS TO PAY!"

Quote:
By the way, I never said the bolded. It is the guilty whose punishment discourages criminality.
Then why don't the guilty have to be punished? If the innocent are punished, what incentive do the guilty have to change their behavior?

Quote:
A more accurate comparison is a guilty person vs. the law. Justice is demanded by the law. Likewise, justice is demanded by God. If we stand before God on our own, we are guilty and must pay the price of eternal separation from God. If we accept Jesus’ redemptive work on our behalf, we are then deemed innocent (changed positionally because Jesus was innocent) and gain eternal life with God. This was God’s plan from the beginning.
I get what you're saying. My Church actually teaches much the same thing. I just don't understand why churches teach that someone who was innocent had to be punished. Why can't God just forgive us if we are truly repentant?

Quote:
Our position in Christ is our legal standing with God: Are we guilty or not guilty? Debtors or free? His enemies or His friends? Understanding these things makes a difference in how we live day in and day out.
You cannot compare a relationship between two fallible humans to our relationship to God.

Quote:
How are people saved from judgement according to your church?
By having faith in Jesus Christ and repenting of their sins, and striving to follow Him.

Last edited by Katzpur; 03-26-2024 at 09:31 AM..

Old 03-26-2024, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefortruth View Post
Their is no such thing as imputed righteousness.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:11 AM

Quote:
The above should answer your question about how the lives of the guilty are improved. The guilty can be brought back into a relationship with God (reconciliation) through belief, repentance and baptism.
I can go along with that.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:21 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,269,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I can go along with that.
Success!

Old 03-26-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I myself almost never use the King James Bible. The words 'impute' and 'credit' are synonymous. They mean the same thing. The Greek word is logizomai. My original pastor used the word 'imputed' and I just became used to using it. But perhaps 'credited' is more familiar to people.
Credited seems easier to understand than impute imho. I like comparing the translations when I study. I use lexicons all the time, so I was aware of logizomai. Our current preacher uses the KJV. When I do my daily reading, I use the NKJV. I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

Old 03-26-2024, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Success!
I'm gathering that you're surprised. You shouldn't be. We actually agree on a great many things. It's the fact that you seem to want to focus on our differences that bothers me. More than that, it's that you question my eternal salvation when we disagree.

Old 03-26-2024, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefortruth View Post
Jesus tells us how to be righteous.

“He who speaks on his own seeks his own glory but he who seeks the glory of the one who sent him is truthful and there is no unrighteousness in him.”

So here Jesus says being truthful makes one righteous and seeks the glory of God.

This tells us the cross and resurrection weren’t as Christianity teaches.
Jesus doesn’t say in John 7:18 that being truthful makes one righteous. Our faith in Christ makes us righteous. See Colossians 3:9.

In John 7:18, Jesus is saying that true disciples seek out God’s glory and not their own.

To speak on our own authority is to seek our own glory. The one who seeks the Father’s glory is true. The person who seeks the Father’s glory is a true disciple. He truly belongs to God, and is truly a child of God. How do you know if you are a true disciple? You seek the Father’s glory alone, not your own.

“The one who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory; but the one who seeks the glory of him who sent him is true, and in him there is no falsehood.” (John 7:18 NKJV)

Old 03-26-2024, 11:45 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And yet you are doing just that when you insist that someone had to be punished for our sins. You are saying that God's demands are like those of our human legal systems. "SOMEBODY HAS TO PAY!"

Yes, that’s what I’m saying.

I get what you're saying. My Church actually teaches much the same thing. I just don't understand why churches teach that someone who was innocent had to be punished. Why can't God just forgive us if we are truly repentant?

God can’t “just forgive” for the same reason the civil law can’t overlook crimes.

You cannot compare a relationship between two fallible humans to our relationship to God.

By having faith in Jesus Christ and repenting of their sins, and striving to follow Him.

Old 03-26-2024, 11:54 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
Would you be upset if crimes went unpunished?
You didn't answer my question. I'm asking about "crimes" from loved ones against yourself. Would you not have mercy upon a repentant "sinner" if they were a loved one? Or would you insist that that person be punished like a stranger in the street? Who made you judge and jury?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity