Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 03:32 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,883,847 times

Advertisements

Hi Dwayne,
I have also lived in a lot of places and agree with what Big T said. Some of the sterotypes are founded in small truth and some are way off. We actually have two firends at our current church who moved here from Canada and one was raised Mennonite. She leads our Bible Study group! Hope you have a wonderful move!
Little T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 10:22 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GausJAMS View Post
I was born in TX, and left TX, have lived in several other states, and still, there is truly no place like it - a lot of good places out there, but there's just something about TX that makes it extra special - and, no, it's not the snake tossin'! It's the ant stompin' and mosquito swattin'! No - kidding...
I'm not from Texas, but lived in San Antonio for two years. "Special" - I guess you have to be born there to think that Texas culture can be overwhelming if you're not from there! And the bugs... I won't even go there.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:41 PM

246 posts, read 649,322 times
Default :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm not from Texas, but lived in San Antonio for two years. "Special" - I guess you have to be born there to think that Texas culture can be overwhelming if you're not from there! And the bugs... I won't even go there.
S.A. is a bit overwhelming Especially depending where you were located during that time. But, there is a lot to do in and around S.A. - lots of churches to pick from as well. You'= were by Sea World, The riverwalk area, the MArket, the largest Water park in the US (New Braunfels), zoo and wildlife parks, great shopping, etc.

You must be from up north, because everywhere else has bugs (I say that very assumingly, too)

WHen I say TX is special, it's not so much a certain city or a certain "to do", but it's the attitude, the friendliness, the atmosphere.

Sorry to hear it wasn't great for you. Where are you really from/used to? You peaked my curiousity

Old 06-11-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
S.A. is a bit overwhelming Especially depending where you were located during that time. But, there is a lot to do in and around S.A. - lots of churches to pick from as well. You'= were by Sea World, The riverwalk area, the MArket, the largest Water park in the US (New Braunfels), zoo and wildlife parks, great shopping, etc.

You must be from up north, because everywhere else has bugs (I say that very assumingly, too)

WHen I say TX is special, it's not so much a certain city or a certain "to do", but it's the attitude, the friendliness, the atmosphere.

Sorry to hear it wasn't great for you. Where are you really from/used to? You peaked my curiousity
Oh, I managed to enjoy SA and all it has to offer. I think it's the attitude, a perceived "fake friendliness", and atmosphere that I found overwhelming. Texas natives constantly remind you that the state is God's gift to the U.S., but as an outsider, I just didn't find it very special. I've spent most of my life in Southern California and Colorado, both of which lack humidity and bugs, so that's another minus for me in Texas.

So just to be fair, I'll post something nice about Texas. Some of my fondest memories of SA were late nights eating on the patio of a Taco Cabana with friends in the steamy night heat. And I don't even eat fast food! Something about that place was just magical. SA has a nice downtown too - very lively. The Hill Country is a beautiful oasis in the middle of an othewise boring landscape.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:14 PM

246 posts, read 649,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Oh, I managed to enjoy SA and all it has to offer. I think it's the attitude, a perceived "fake friendliness", and atmosphere that I found overwhelming. Texas natives constantly remind you that the state is God's gift to the U.S., but as an outsider, I just didn't find it very special. I've spent most of my life in Southern California and Colorado, both of which lack humidity and bugs, so that's another minus for me in Texas.

So just to be fair, I'll post something nice about Texas. Some of my fondest memories of SA were late nights eating on the patio of a Taco Cabana with friends in the steamy night heat. And I don't even eat fast food! Something about that place was just magical. SA has a nice downtown too - very lively. The Hill Country is a beautiful oasis in the middle of an othewise boring landscape.
Ah, you're too fair! Taco Cabana?! Oh, hilarious! (tell me you did enjoy other Mexican food places, too?! ha!)

That's funny, I'd love to go to Colorado (lived in Co Springs when very young) - My hubby always says that I shouldn't have been from TX (or the South, period.) because I love cold weather. Hate the heat and am not a sun worshipper.

As for Calif - lived there when very young (Carmel) and don't remember it, and don't have any wish/desire/ dream to ever go to Calif - not sure why. I hear amny great things about all over CAlif - but just doesn't appeal - would love to go to the East Coast. Again, not sure why.

As my grandfather used to say, "this here's God's Country!" I'd say He could've been right, anywhere - well, almost anywhere and I ain't not goin' thar!

Old 06-12-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Ah, you're too fair! Taco Cabana?! Oh, hilarious! (tell me you did enjoy other Mexican food places, too?! ha!)

That's funny, I'd love to go to Colorado (lived in Co Springs when very young) - My hubby always says that I shouldn't have been from TX (or the South, period.) because I love cold weather. Hate the heat and am not a sun worshipper.

As for Calif - lived there when very young (Carmel) and don't remember it, and don't have any wish/desire/ dream to ever go to Calif - not sure why. I hear amny great things about all over CAlif - but just doesn't appeal - would love to go to the East Coast. Again, not sure why.

As my grandfather used to say, "this here's God's Country!" I'd say He could've been right, anywhere - well, almost anywhere and I ain't not goin' thar!
Yeah, I tried many Mexican restaurants - the food there is good in general, expecially for those of us who love Tex-Mex. They opened a few Taco Cabanas here in Denver in the mid 90s, but after a year or so, shut them down. I think they put them in the wrong areas - mainly very suburban areas. In S.A., they tend to be a little more urban, where people will stop after the bars close, and where more Hispanic people live. I think their marketing was off when they chose their Denver locations. Oh well, at least when they send me to Texas for work, I have something to look forward to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity