Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 02:25 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
One of the writers of the Bible observed that he had never seen a righteous man starve. I am sure by "righteous" he meant a saved believer. My question to all of you is: has your personal life's experience validated this? I am asking for honest, sincere answers. Thanks.

This is true. My family has seen it first hand. The fact is: if you put God first and apply the teachings of Christ in your life-you will always have the necessities of life. I have never seen this not be the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 02:52 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,882 times
Simple Living, that is a heartwarming account of what happened to you. I know you are younger than my only son, and it would be very sad for me if he had had that happen to him. He has had some very bad times in his life, but, like you he has faith and things are looking up for him.
In my case, I have suffered from chronic illnesses for over 40 years. I have Fibromyalgia Syndrome , arthritis, and extremely high blood pressue ( that is now under controll due to 2 BP meds). There has been many times I prayed to God to 'take me home', but His answer has always been "NO". There was a time when I wondered why He would not either give me relief here on earth, or take my home. I have been given sufficient relief, and I am no longer asking to have my life end.
I am enjoying the times I have with my brethren ( I am 1600 miles from all my siblings ). I enjoy the few times I have with my son and 3 young granddaughters. Life would be good, if only my 82 year old husband was not in such bad health, and showing signs of dememtia. I have been totally responsible for almost everything in our lives for several years now.
If it was not for my faith in the goodness of God, I would have never made it this far.
I know He is carrying me through all the bad days.
He has given me a comfortable home, and a beautiful place to live, and many dear friends. I believe He was even instrumental in my getting a computer, ( my son gave me the first one), because it has been a source of relief for me, from my otherwise rather humdrum life. It has connected me with the world around me, that I cannot see otherwise, since I am pretty well confined to home. I first found a gardening forum about 6 years ago, that I still post on occasionally, on an off topic conversation forum. It really helped me through one of my worse times, and gained me some cyber friends.
I see the hand of God in many things that happen...like when I am having an extra bad day, and suddenly some unexpected thing happens to cheer me up. Sometmes it is just a new flower, or a bird, or a beautiful cloud. I love to take pictures of all God's beauty. I post a lot of them on that other forum.
So, what this all boils down to is, I do believe God takes care of us. It is according to what we need, not what we want.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:33 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
In my early 20's, I was robbed and left homeless when I moved to a brand new state. I had no help from anyone. (I have no family.) I went hungry for four months but it never dawned on me to ask God why or wonder where He was. I knew He was with me. Food always arrived when it was needed. I grew up very naive to the world. I had no idea that churches helped people or that there were places like Salvation Armies. So, why did He let that happen? Why did I have to go hungry for awhile? Because Jesus was glorified through that time - and He still is today.

Having been in that situation, I've been able to work with the homeless and help others understand more about what they go through. And, with that having been part of my testimony - and what came after that time of homelessness - has shown that it was all God, and only God, who moved and worked in my life. Not me. Not any person. Only, God. I know this to be true because I've had offers to have books written and movies made about my life. (I was homeless when I took a Greyhound bus to California and got robbed in Denver at the bus station. The guy took everything I owned and, when the but dropped me off in California the next day, I had nothing but the clothes on my back. After that, the doors God opened were amazing!)

I'm not bragging about the offers. (All of which I declined.) I mention them only to show that what God did in my life was nothing short of miraculous intervention. God is faithful and just. God is our Provider, not our jobs and not money, and not other people. I believe that when a person comes to the full knowledge of that, so many fears and bondages are broken, which leaves God wide open to show Himself and move in our lives in incredible ways.
Incredible story, SL. Your last statements here are so true.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:51 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Simple Living, that is a heartwarming account of what happened to you. I know you are younger than my only son, and it would be very sad for me if he had had that happen to him. He has had some very bad times in his life, but, like you he has faith and things are looking up for him.
In my case, I have suffered from chronic illnesses for over 40 years. I have Fibromyalgia Syndrome , arthritis, and extremely high blood pressue ( that is now under controll due to 2 BP meds). There has been many times I prayed to God to 'take me home', but His answer has always been "NO". There was a time when I wondered why He would not either give me relief here on earth, or take my home. I have been given sufficient relief, and I am no longer asking to have my life end.
I am enjoying the times I have with my brethren ( I am 1600 miles from all my siblings ). I enjoy the few times I have with my son and 3 young granddaughters. Life would be good, if only my 82 year old husband was not in such bad health, and showing signs of dememtia. I have been totally responsible for almost everything in our lives for several years now.
If it was not for my faith in the goodness of God, I would have never made it this far.
He has given me a comfortable home, and a beautiful place to live, and many dear friends. I believe He was even instrumental in my getting a computer, ( my son gave me the first one), because it has been a source of relief for me, from my otherwise rather humdrum life. It has connected me with the world around me, that I cannot see otherwise, since I am pretty well confined to home. I first found a gardening forum about 6 years ago, that I still post on occasionally, on an off topic conversation forum. It really helped me through one of my worse times, and gained me some cyber friends.
I see the hand of God in many things that happen...like when I am having an extra bad day, and suddenly some unexpected thing happens to cheer me up. Sometmes it is just a new flower, or a bird, or a beautiful cloud. I love to take pictures of all God's beauty. I post a lot of them on that other forum.
So, what this all boils down to is, I do believe God takes care of us. It is according to what we need, not what we want.
So sorry about all of your ailments and suffering, Marian. I will be praying for you and your husband.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:21 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Marian,
I took care of my father for the past 8 years (who had dementia) and also now my mother. For your own health sake, if you havn't done so already, get as much family support as possible. I started to get symptoms of Fibromyalgia, when I was trying to maintain my business and caring for my father. I do believe it (Fibromyalga) is stress induced. Support from family would include where you can physically step away from the situation for a good 3 hours every four days.
If your family is not available, there are a lot of resources available for you. Many local hospitals have support groups and brochures on caring for dementia patients and their care givers. Believe me, it will be too easy to neglect your health in all this.
My heart goes out to you.
Take care, God will give you the strength.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:10 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,283,607 times
Cool No Doubt"

Quote:
Quote:
One of the writers of the Bible observed that he had never seen a righteous man starve. I am sure by "righteous" he meant a saved believer. My question to all of you is: has your personal life's experience validated this? I am asking for honest, sincere answers. Thanks.

The scripture hat I think that you are referencing is, in Psalms when King David
declared that "I've been young , and now I am old, and I've never seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging for bread"
Yes, it is true;
All of God's promises are true in my experience in life; and I feel that I have been living long enough to validate that assessment.
The "catch" is the word righteous.. if a believer falls in this category, which means being obedient and making Christ the head of their lives..
But it is true; my friend;
Most of us run into problems when there's some form of disobedience, or partial obedience which is the same as the former;
one may not even realize that they are sinning against God, sins of omission and commission, that is where it get tricky; But God is still merciful to those that "love Him and worship him in spirit and in truth.. Not to confuse this with God compromising with us and letting things slide.. He keeps His word , I can guarantee you .
For example we are told pray always, at all times...............
Most people do not pray concurrently on a consistent basis; but don't realize that it is walking disobedience etc.
take us the foxes, the little "foxes" that spoil the vine. [Song of Solomon2:12]
I apologize for running all over the place in the reply...
But it started me to thinking....
God is Faithful and True
(I am a witness)
anytime something get's messed up in my life, when I reflect on it;" I was always doing something I had no business" and brought it on myself (consequences to sin)it was even something as little as "unforgiveness"
God Bless

Old 06-18-2008, 08:26 PM

rue because I've had offers to have books written and movies made about my life. (I was homeless when I took a Greyhound bus to California and got robbed in Denver at the bus station. The guy took everything I owned and, when the but dropped me off in California the next day, I had nothing but the clothes on my back. After that, th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
In my early 20's, I was robbed and left homeless when I moved to a brand new state. I had no help from anyone. (I have no family.) I went hungry for four months but it never dawned on me to ask God why or wonder where He was. I knew He was with me. Food always arrived when it was needed. I grew up very naive to the world. I had no idea that churches helped people or that there were places like Salvation Armies. So, why did He let that happen? Why did I have to go hungry for awhile? Because Jesus was glorified through that time - and He still is today.

Having been in that situation, I've been able to work with the homeless and help
Quote:
others understand more about what they go through. And, with that having been part of my testimony - and what came after that time of homelessness - has shown that it was all God, and only God, who moved and worked in my life. Not me. Not any person. Only, God. I know this to be te doors God opened were amazing!)

I'm not bragging about the offers. (All of which I declined.) I mention them only to show that what God did in my life was nothing short of miraculous intervention. God is faithful and just. God is our Provider, not our jobs and not money, and not other people. I believe that when a person comes to the full knowledge of that, so many fears and bondages are broken, which leaves God wide open to show Himself and move in our lives in incredible ways.

To God Be the Glory and He Alone Who is Faithful;
God Bless You

Old 06-18-2008, 08:36 PM

If anyone wants to see the glory of God shine Forth as the noonday sun, watch the movie
"Radio"; a mentally challenged young boy ... I won't give the movie away for those who haven't seen it"
I went to church with him, and I have never seen the love of Christ, shown through a human being that had so much hurt and adversities in his life also, and His brother;
I looked at his family, and they all are "God Breathed"
Someone took ownership of the sins of the Fathers, and made it right with God;
and His promises(God) that you and your descendants shall live; (live in every sense of the definition)
I have never seen this before, and he loves those who still reject him, Radio" has been a strong influence in my life.
If you get a chance take a look at this film
Radio - Official Site
It brings tears of joy to my eyes, just to watch the Grace and Faithfulness and Unconditional Love of Our Father, Christ Jesus, through Radio and his brother "Cool Rock",
No one has ever recalled either of them missing a worship service or a bible study", and they don't just go, they serve;
everyone with love, children, men, women, "I've just never witnessed anyone like him and his brother"

Old 06-19-2008, 10:38 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Default I've never seen the righteous forsaken or His seed begging for bread...

Quote:
God's Word is true... we can base our faith upon it.

I hope this is a word for you.

Many times we want God to deliver us from our circumstance just like the Israelites did while wondering around in the wilderness. God was providing for them supenaturally but they were not grateful and even though He was showing them great miracles - they did not have the right attitude. He wanted them to learn to rely on Him and that they could always trust Him.

We have to learn to believe for God's provision while in our circumstance - whatever it is.

We have to start looking at God and believe God in our circumstances instead of looking at our circumstances... I know that it's hard to do, especially when we've become discouraged.

I have been in many situations in my life where I have seen God's provision.

Read Psalm 23..

He preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies...

Get into the Word and seek Him...

Trust Him. He is good!

Last edited by World Citizen; 06-19-2008 at 10:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity