Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 02:10 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
I didn't mean to infer... which is my error.... that everyone that has a Jesus t-shirt or a bumper sticker is wrong, or isn't saved, just because they have them.

I just came from that era of teaching and saw that many people were relying on these outward shows as evidence of their belief and the evidence of their salvation. Many other parts of their lives weren't showing good fruit, but because they merely believed in God and had these outward symbols, they regarded themselves as Christians.

I was wrong to not clarify that. My apologies.
No worries and no apologies needed.

And I agree with your posts, it was just a detail I picked up on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 04:15 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,109,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
No worries and no apologies needed.

And I agree with your posts, it was just a detail I picked up on.
Believe me, I appreciate being corrected. I'm working on not typing so quickly because that's when I tend to over-generalize and I want to rid that habit from my posts.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:08 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Default What's the Greater Evil?

For some reason, I returned to this thread because I couldn't help but sit here and ask myself, and for those who are not the skeptic that I am, what the greater evil is.

When I sit here and think about it, this is what I see. I see a State Government that realizes that there are many people in the state who are indeed Christians. Many of whom take it extremely seriously and what better way to show not only the state's support but make a little extra money from it? To me, for an organization, a government, or other institution to appeal to the emotions and desires of a population in order to make money sounds dangerously close to extortion. Ultimately, what is happening is that the State is going to reap the benefits of people buying these license plates (because of their faith - It's not like someone such as myself would buy one) and they are going to do so by appealing to the emotions of the citizens.

Now, on the other hand, I sit here and I ask myself what the actual purpose of the license plate is. My personal opinion is that it should say "I believe and...." because I'd really like to know what the purpose of getting such a thing on your plate is. Is it so that everyone who drives by you can look and say "Oh, look honey, he believes. Isn't that sweet?" Perhaps the license plate can say "I believe and... I hope you are talking to your loved one in the car about my license plate."

Perhaps the underlying purpose of it is to show everyone in the world how deeply close you are to God because you spent a few extra bucks on a license plate. Perhaps the license plate could read "I believe and... because I bought this license plate here is my ultimate show of support."

Perhaps the underlying purpose is for more selfish reasons. Maybe you'll think that no harm can come to you because you're driving around with a license plate that says "I Believe". Maybe you're just looking out for acceptance from the rest of the community in your nice new designer plate? Perhaps it could read "I Believe and.... People should love me because I have this cool plate."

Ultimately, I sit here and I ask myself, is your god so vainglorious that he requires everything (including license plates) to demonstrate your love for him? Or does it not seem like this is just a way for the state to collect money because they're playing people's emotions? I'm all for it. Go ahead. Go out and buy the license plates. It's my opinion that it's long since overdue that people can no longer claim the sanctity of religion without helping to fund things like roads, highways, education systems, etc...

If people want to spend their hard earned money on vanity plates to show how much they "REALLY BELIEVE" then go right ahead. Maybe we can start asking our city planners to build highway loops in the same shape as the Jesus fish as long as those in favor of it have to pay extra taxes on it. Perhaps all of our "Stop" signs should be "Crosses" instead - that is, of course, if those in favor pay higher taxes. Hey, this might not be a bad thing after all, let's take advantage of all these people who just feel compelled to show how much they believe because they're buying license plates.

It's nothing more than your government providing its own brand of consumerism and marketing dead smack where your heart is in it the most - your religion. I should give accolades to South Carolina for taking advantage of this... But, then I'd have to ask myself what the greater evil really is.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:25 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Maybe revenge was the wrong word. Justice is more appropriate. (I shouldn't be posting at 2:30am!) I do believe there is justice to be had in situations like this because it is downright discrimination against Christians.

I could care less about personalized license plates. That's not even the issue here to me. It's the fact that some people are so violently against God that they can't even allow others to live and express their beliefs. Isn't that what "tolerance" and freedom of religion and freedom of speech is about? HYPOCRITES! If it were a personalized license plate for anything else, this group of people would not have gotten outraged. If it had been for buddhists, hare krishna or something demonic, they would be fighting for that person's freedom of expression.
Whoa, simple...I see a lot of anger here. I don't have a dog in this race but it seems to me that is they produce an "I Believe" plate I would have no problem with it as long as I have the option of buying an "I Don't Believe" plate....

Last edited by sanspeur; 06-20-2008 at 08:11 PM..

Old 06-20-2008, 07:33 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,109,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Who simple...I see a lot of anger here. I don't have a dog in this race but it seems to me that is they produce an "I Believe" plate I would have no problem with it as long as I have the option of buying an "I Don't Believe" plate....
I just hate hypocrisy. I could care less about the license plates.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:02 PM

322 posts, read 737,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
Isn't it strange though when we have a disaster all the rules go out the window. When 9/11 happened several of the schools I went to had signs out in front sayings things like, "pray for the USA". It was amazing to see all the signs on stores and even gas stations. Actually I took a few rolls of film of the sings. I was so moved by the outpouring. One of my Principals who was a Christian said in about a week she knew she would start to get complaints and would have to take the sign down. When there is a big disaster you see people turning quickly to God for strenght and understanding but then Satan jumps right in.
Hey, that's a good point. Like----there are no athiest in foxholes.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:37 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedrsaved View Post
there are no athiest in foxholes.
http://www.atheistfoxholes.org/images/AIFHIraqOFA.gif (broken link)

Old 06-20-2008, 08:49 PM

812 posts, read 2,307,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Wow.. thats kinda strong. You want God to take revenge on people because of a license plate? Its amazing why more people don't look at fundamentals in a kind light.

Honestly.. wow...

Personally I have no problem with it. From a cost perspective I have no problem with any personalized license plate. I don't see how this is a separation of church and state thing. If someone wants "I believe" then they should have it assuming there is enough demand for it. You can't do every "one off" for every person.

Honestly.. does having a personalized license plate of "I believe" get anyone closer to God.

I can see it now:

Me: I know I didn't lead the best life.. but I did pay an extra $20 clams to get "I believe" on my license plate.. that has to be worth something right?

God: It tipped the scales in your favor. Nice work.

I agree, As Christians, when did we become judge of other people when we don't getour way?

We are suppose to perservere and move forward happily toward The Lord and w/ The Lord.

Let's just move on shrug stuff off. That is what we are suppose to try to do. It's hard, I know better than anyone. Maybe not on this issue. If this was an issue for for me, but since I don't live where you do and since I wouldn't be bothered about this matter anyway maybe I can say this, but move forward.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:13 PM

322 posts, read 737,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
http://www.atheistfoxholes.org/images/AIFHIraqOFA.gif (broken link)
These men are not in foxholes and do not appear to be under fire.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:27 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedrsaved View Post
These men are not in foxholes and do not appear to be under fire.
Ye of little knowledge. Have you been to Iraq? Because it's not just the streets of Baghdad that are dangerous. What you don't know is that every day many of the bases come under mortar fire two to three times a day. I'm telling you... when they land close by you've never heard such an earth shattering boom. It's at that point... usually when you wake up to it that you realize that people really are trying to kill you. And yet... throughout the roughly 400 mortars that crashed through the base that I was at in my stay (some of them were quite close indeed), I never once rolled over and started praying. In fact, the thought never even crossed my mind.

Don't believe me about the mortars? Look up Camp Anaconda/Balad Air Base otherwise colloquially known as "Mortaritaville".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity