Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:19 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,882 times

Advertisements

I keep reading the admonition to pray that the Spirit will guide us to the truth. I do not find that in the scriptures. Instead I find the admonition to search the scriptures. It was said of the Bereans: " These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they recieved the word with all readiness, and searched the scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so. " Acts 17.11 NKJV

In the first place, "they recieved the word with all readiness" . In the second place, they " searched the scriptures", Neither place even hints at them praying for the Spirit to help them understand the scriptures.

The scripture came from the Spirit. We already have all that we need to know. We just need to accept it.

Doen't anyone else see it this way ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 05:37 PM

537 posts, read 1,322,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I keep reading the admonition to pray that the Spirit will guide us to the truth. I do not find that in the scriptures. Instead I find the admonition to search the scriptures. It was said of the Bereans: " These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they recieved the word with all readiness, and searched the scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so. " Acts 17.11 NKJV

In the first place, "they recieved the word with all readiness" . In the second place, they " searched the scriptures", Neither place even hints at them praying for the Spirit to help them understand the scriptures.

The scripture came from the Spirit. We already have all that we need to know. We just need to accept it.

Doen't anyone else see it this way ???
You are probably referring to me lol. I say that because I did not understand the scriptures before I prayed for guidance, after I did it became clear.

Also, what scriptures are we talking about here? If we all have different scriptures how do we know which one is truth unless it is verified by the Spirit. They accepted it with all readiness because they knew it had not been perverted, it was the truth! We have many perversions these days and I believe the Spirit will lead us to what the true word is if we seek and ask.

Jhn 14:17[Even] the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

1Jo 4:6We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

There is the spirit of truth and the spirit of error, which one do we have?

And guess what the NIV says regarding Acts 17:11, it says they received the message not the word

That screams spirit of error to me, maybe I'm crazy

Old 08-21-2008, 05:59 PM

Onourway,

I am refering to the book we all call the Bible. I believe all of it is inspired by God. I am not going to argue about translations. I believe God has made sure that all we need to know is found in any translation. I am not talking about interpretations, or paraphrases.

Okay, since you mentioned it, I do not care for the NIV. I have one, but do not use it. Yes, it is called a 'translation', but why is it so contrary to most other translations ? The Greek word translated "scriptures" in Acts 17.11 is graphe, and means writing,anything written. I wonder why the NIV translators chose to use " message"? I have several translations, and an interpretation or 2, and they all say "scriptures".

The thing about new "Bibles" is..why is everyone getting on the bandwagon to get something new? Everyone can buy a KJV, a NKJV, an ASB, a NASB. Why the NIV ? ( And no..you are not "crazy". )

Also, you are not the only one who has said that about praying for the Spirit to guide 'us'. I think it is a favorite expression of several on these threads.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:41 PM

74 posts, read 264,800 times
I believe that the Holy Spirit leads us to Jesus Christ, who restores our relationship to the Father. Galations 5:16 I say then: Walk in the spirit and you shall not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. I believe that when we read the Bible that the Holy Spirit speaks to us by illuminating a scripture to us. (IMO) In I John it says in the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God. and the word became flesh. Walking in the spirit means doing everything being led by the Holy Spirit even reading the Bible, However when we open the Bible and start reading it the Holy Spirit is already there through the living and powerful word of God. When we read the Bible the Holy Spirit is already at work transforming us, convicting us, reproving us, etc. (IMO)

Old 08-21-2008, 08:41 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Findaway and OnOurWay2MO,

I agree that the Holy Spirit draws, leads, convicts and the Holy Spirit will always agree with the scriptures. I think that the Holy Spirit is greater than the interpretation/translation errors and will guide into the truth.

We are told to test the spirits and I do believe that not all that is spirit is Holy.

Marian,

If we try to understand the the scriptures with our fleshly minds we may not be open to the drawing and revealing of the Holy Spirit. The scriptures are inspired and are understood through the Spirit.

For me it is not just scripture or just spirit it is a combination.

John 5:39-40 Search the scriptures for in them ye think ye have eternal life and they are they which testify of me
And ye will not come to me that ye might have life

In this Jesus is saying that the scriptures testify of him, we need to go to Christ for life.

Knowing Christ is a heart thing not a head thing, you can read the scriptures and follow the "laws" be baptised, profess with your mouth but that does not necessarily mean that you are following Christ.

To me it sometimes seems that there is a looking at the outward facade and trying to make people conform to a particular denomination and not necessarily conforming to Christ.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findaway View Post
I believe that the Holy Spirit leads us to Jesus Christ, who restores our relationship to the Father. Galations 5:16 I say then: Walk in the spirit and you shall not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. I believe that when we read the Bible that the Holy Spirit speaks to us by illuminating a scripture to us. (IMO) In I John it says in the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God. and the word became flesh. Walking in the spirit means doing everything being led by the Holy Spirit even reading the Bible, However when we open the Bible and start reading it the Holy Spirit is already there through the living and powerful word of God. When we read the Bible the Holy Spirit is already at work transforming us, convicting us, reproving us, etc. (IMO)

That is all well and good, but why are there so many athiests and agnostics who have read the Bible ??? Does not your last sentence apply to them ??? I would say it is because they do not receive the word. I do not believe that God is a respector of persons and causes some to receive it and others to not receive it ! If some read the Bible but do not believe it...i.e, recieve it, why is it that the Spirit is not " transforming", "convicting", and "reproving" them ???
Can you see what I am saying ? It is the same inspired words, but some receive it and some do not. It is the choice of the individual, whether they believe/receive or not.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:44 PM

763 posts, read 2,261,105 times
I think we need to pray for spiritual guidance for understanding, but if that spiritual guidance runs contrary to the written word on the page, then I would have to question whether it's the Holy Spirit guiding me or not.

This is not a reflection on seemingly ambiguous or debatable passages, only those that some choose to ignore or change completely.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:46 PM

I am sorry, but I think this scripture is being misapplied:

(Quote)
John 5:39-40 Search the scriptures for in them ye think ye have eternal life and they are they which testify of me

In this Jesus is saying that the scriptures testify of him, we need to go to Christ for life.
(Quote)

Jesus was speaking to the Jews, and he was speaking of the Old Testament. The New was not even given yet.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:51 PM

Are any of you aware of how many times the word is spoken of in the New Testament? Have any of you done an indepth study on that topic?
How about the word " recieve" ?

I still have seen no scripture that plainly states that we are to pray for the Spirit to guide us in our study of God's word.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:30 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Are any of you aware of how many times the word is spoken of in the New Testament? Have any of you done an indepth study on that topic?
How about the word " recieve" ?

I still have seen no scripture that plainly states that we are to pray for the Spirit to guide us in our study of God's word.
Then I really don't know what to say, except to show you.

Jhn 15:26 "When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify about Me,

Jhn 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

Jhn 16:13 "But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose to you.

Disclose? Oh yea, His WORD!

John 14:21 "He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him."

Revealing!!!

Jhn 14:22 Judas (not Iscariot) *said to Him, "Lord, what then has happened that You are going to disclose Yourself to us and not to the world?" Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity