Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I no longer attend church because:
It's too far to travel 2 3.57%
I don't like the music 1 1.79%
I don't like the preacher 3 5.36%
The people aren't very friendly 12 21.43%
Too much talk about money and tithing 10 17.86%
The service is too long 4 7.14%
Too many old people 3 5.36%
Too many young people 0 0%
Too many families and not enough singles 0 0%
Just too lazy to get up and go 21 37.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 09:33 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,722,421 times

Advertisements

Can I say one more thing regarding this topic? I as others, I grew up in a strict Irish Catholic home. I too never believed in any of the Catholic dogma and doctrine. Heck I still don't know what dogma means!

The first time I really heard about Jesus dying for me was when I was 19. I wasn't sure what it all meant...getting saved and stuff, but I prayed that God would hold onto me and not let anything happen to me until I understood.

I went down many roads in life trying everything I could to find "my" happiness. I didn't understand denominations and was petrified that I would choose the wrong one and be destined to hell. I prayed that God would direct me to the right church, to the right people. And through it all He did.

It doesn't matter which church I attend, which denomination I chose as long as it was a Bible-believing church that spoke God's truth. I want to encourage everyone to simply pray and ask God to open your heart to Him.

And lastly, there was a time when I did walk away from the church because I too was fed up with the hypocrisy; the audacity of other Christians...how could they do those things and still go to church on Sunday and call themselves Christians? I left the church for a few years and sought out "my" happiness again. What it comes down to is that I am responsible for my actions, and only mine. I realized I could be upset and miffed all I wanted at "those Christians". But when I stand before God and give an account of what I have done, I had to think about what He'd say to me about leaving the church (not the building, but the group of believers...people I knew). I realized that "those Christians" were responsible to Him for what they had said and done. And that they were human just like me...full of mistakes, stupid words, bad thoughts and everything else that goes along with being human.

We are all human and make a million mistakes, no one is perfect. No one except Jesus. We all need to learn to let go of our anger towards what other people have done to us, or to others. I've found that sometimes I'm just holding onto that anger to justify why I don't want to do something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 09:38 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,990,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier67 View Post
Can I say one more thing regarding this topic? I as others, I grew up in a strict Irish Catholic home. I too never believed in any of the Catholic dogma and doctrine. Heck I still don't know what dogma means!

The first time I really heard about Jesus dying for me was when I was 19. I wasn't sure what it all meant...getting saved and stuff, but I prayed that God would hold onto me and not let anything happen to me until I understood.

I went down many roads in life trying everything I could to find "my" happiness. I didn't understand denominations and was petrified that I would choose the wrong one and be destined to hell. I prayed that God would direct me to the right church, to the right people. And through it all He did.

It doesn't matter which church I attend, which denomination I chose as long as it was a Bible-believing church that spoke God's truth. I want to encourage everyone to simply pray and ask God to open your heart to Him.

And lastly, there was a time when I did walk away from the church because I too was fed up with the hypocrisy; the audacity of other Christians...how could they do those things and still go to church on Sunday and call themselves Christians? I left the church for a few years and sought out "my" happiness again. What it comes down to is that I am responsible for my actions, and only mine. I realized I could be upset and miffed all I wanted at "those Christians". But when I stand before God and give an account of what I have done, I had to think about what He'd say to me about leaving the church (not the building, but the group of believers...people I knew). I realized that "those Christians" were responsible to Him for what they had said and done. And that they were human just like me...full of mistakes, stupid words, bad thoughts and everything else that goes along with being human.

We are all human and make a million mistakes, no one is perfect. No one except Jesus. We all need to learn to let go of our anger towards what other people have done to us, or to others. I've found that sometimes I'm just holding onto that anger to justify why I don't want to do something.
WOW. I fully agree! Beautifully said by the way too. Your search reflects a lot of my own and I imagine many others' experiences as well.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:50 PM

29 posts, read 83,945 times
MoMark, are you married?

on bended knee...will you marry me?

Old 02-09-2007, 01:16 AM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,789,447 times
WOW, I'm with MoMark on this one 'hoosier67'. I love what you said above. I tried to increase your 'rep', but got told twice to spread a little love around (LOL:-)! And I did, but it still didn't work.

Thank you to all my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ for showing a wayward soul some true Christian love :-)

Old 02-09-2007, 05:31 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,756,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progradi View Post
MoMark, are you married?

on bended knee...will you marry me?
LOL, hard to believe no one has snapped him up yet, isn't it?
I'm married-out of the race!

Old 02-09-2007, 05:54 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,756,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I got this from this site at one time...can't remember who posted it. But, it made me cry. Because even if this isn't how it 'looks' when we meet the Lord, I can't imagine a hug that will make me feel more loved in such a pure way as being hugged by the Lord.
This made me think of a beautiful song, by Mercy Me:

"I Can Only Imagine"

I can only imagine
What it will be like
When I walk
By your side

I can only imagine
What my eyes will see
When your face
Is before me
I can only imagine

[Chorus:]
Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel?
Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still?
Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine

I can only imagine
When that day comes
And I find myself
Standing in the Son

I can only imagine
When all I will do
Is forever
Forever worship You
I can only imagine

I can only imagine
When all I will do
Is forever, forever worship you

Old 02-09-2007, 07:05 AM

Thanks for trying to increase my rep. You're sweet! There is a wonderful book that has radically changed my view of life and heaven. The book is called Heaven by Randy Alcorn. It's a phenomenal book that talks about what heaven will be like, the new earth and what we can expect. I read that Tyndale House Publishers went to Randy and asked him to write this book. If you haven't heard of him he has a ministry in Gresham, Oregon (a suburb on the east side of Portland). He is an amazing writer of both fiction and non-fiction. I bought the book at our local Christian bookstore, but I believe you can buy it at cbdbooks.com and probably amazon. It's very deep, takes awhile to get through because there is so much to think about.

And thanks Ms. Charlotte for the beautiful song! That is one of my alltime favorites. My mother-in-law passed away suddenly a few years ago so whenever my wife and I hear that song we are reminded of her mom, and so thankful that we will see her again.

Blessings to you all!

Old 02-09-2007, 10:13 AM

23,019 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier67 View Post

Very well said!!!! I get so tried of hearing people saying they don't go to church because of hypocrisy. Christians are still sinners, just saved sinners.
One day we will all stand before God and give an account for what we have said and done and I don't think He will accept the excuse of hypocrisy.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:15 PM

36 posts, read 96,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelboo View Post
Hello everyone.

and desire something new. Someone on this forum mentioned Joel Osteen. I like him too because he does not preach the traditional sermons you hear over and over. He really ministers to you with good teachings that make you think and want to make changes in your life. It is not judgmental like some sermons out there.

I just found this thread and viewed most of the posts. Interesting to say the least. I believe most who are doubters have never taken the time to study out for themselves the doctrines found in scripture (II Tim. 2:15 KJV), but have followed someone in whom they trust, trouble is Jesus warned us to watch out for Wolves in sheeps clothing. To many see someone that looks like a sheep so they determine their Christianity by what may very well turn out to be a Wolf.

Joel Osteen on Larry King live refused to tell him how to get saved, it seem that Larry knew more about the Bible than Joel. Joel's services remind me of Zig Zigler and the like. Positive thinking, positive thinking. Very little scripture is given so after listening to him, most go away thinking they are fine and God loves them just the way they are and this is the way Christs Church should be. His book "Your best life now" flys in the face of scripture,--------- a Christians best life is yet to come.

He fits the bill along with many others who cause people to go away from God and his word. II Peter 2:1-3,18-21 "But there were false prophets also among the people even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies------And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth (many posts on this thread) shall be evil spoken of. And through covetousness (money grubbing, your money of course) shall they with feigned words (lies) make merchandise of you:------------------For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error. While they promise them liberty they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage. For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning."

II Timothy 3:5 "Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away." Joel denys that Jesus is the only way of Salvation as does Billy Graham. I've heard them both. So, this scripture says to turn away from them, but as one can see many flock to them for a "feel good fix" instead of checking out for themselves what Gods Word really says.
Heck, if you don't like it, then fine, your choice, at least you made the decision instead of someone else doing it for you through deception. But many deceive themselves by comparing themselves among themselves, following blindly. Jesus said that both shall fall into a ditch. (The blind leading the blind.)

Continuing on in II Timothy 4:3-4 "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears. (tell me how good I am, tell me smooth things, don't step on my toes, I just want a mutual admiration society to attend.) And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables."

In II Thessalonians 1:3, scripture says that before the son of perdition (anti-christ) will come that there first must be a "FALLING AWAY" The subject of this post bears this out. Many have fallen away from sound doctrine, they've "thrown the baby out with the bathwater" so to speak.

I don't want to make a sermon out of this, but if someone doesn't address these issues, then where will they hear it? Some will disagree and probably address this post. Paul throughout his ministry was unpopular for "calling a spade a spade". I don't like being lied to, and those who know their bibles know who is the father of lies. (I want truth even if it's uncomfortable to my flesh.) It got so bad with Paul, that ALL (Christian Brothers and sisters) in Asia forsook him as he stood for the TRUTH.

I'll finish with a quote from Galatians 4:16 "Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?" If you disagree, please correct me with scripture not an opinion or heresay.

Thank you.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:50 PM

Unhappy Need some serious prayer for this weekend

Hey all,

To better understand this post please go read my post in the Nebraska forum called Child Safety. The quick version is that I have some very old friends who have had many marital problems. Suffice it to say, they are divorced and have a three year old son. The father is very passive and doesn't want to rock the boat with the little boy...let's him do things like go outside without his super warm mittens on because it's not worth the fight. The mother has been meeting men on the internet and becoming intimate with them. One even moved in with her and her son.

I've been talking to various people in the Nebraska forum and they've encouraged me to turn these parents in to the authorities. I posted because I wasn't sure what to do. So my prayer request is this, I'm going to talk with the father this weekend to get some information. He is a very old and good friend, however I've really lost respect for the guy. Please pray for me as I talk with them so I get what I need to help the authorities. It kills me to do this, but I've really prayed it through and know I am doing the right thing...no matter how difficult it is. Thanks! -- Blessings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity