Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:21 PM

286 posts, read 994,567 times

Advertisements

Christians: Please think about the things that you say while you are on this forum. Talking about judgment all of the time, insulting others, and bashing different people groups DOES NOT make people look favorably upon christianity. There is definitive truth and it is ok to stick up for that, but we need to keep in mind the way that others are seeing our faith. I have certainly been guilty of getting carried away and offending others. Just something to think about.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:39 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,272 times
It's a difficult fence to ride because if all we talk about is having love and compassion, most folks will think that we are therefore tolerant. If we speak of judgment, then most folks will consider us intolerant bigots with no love. I guess in this day and age, it's a hard thing to be able to be both and have folks understand that it is possible only through the grace of God.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:01 PM

702 posts, read 1,006,622 times
I'm not sure what you have in mind. Certainly Jesus says at the end of the eon He would send His angels to gather the wicked together in bundles to be burned and to gather His chosen from the four winds, from one end of heaven to another into His barn. The identity of some people groupings are based on iniquity. This doesn't mean we no longer believe, "Christ died for the ungodly." For some group's their reason to exist is to do evil; like, to destroy faith in God, to propagate terrorism, to promote immoraliy. To shine the light on these things is not "bashing." It is loving kindness to point out the pit a friend is about to unknowingly fall into, even to grab him to prevent it from happening, whether it offends him or not. This culture is increasingly over feminized. No fizz! No teeth! "The words of the wise are goads to point the way to the tree of life."

What Jesus said so antagonized the religious authorities of His day they plotted how to kill Him for it and eventually, in collusion with corrupt politicians, succeeded. Should we assume He just brought it on Himself? That if He'd've shut up they'd've let Him alone. So, by this rationale, wasn't He responsible for His own death? We can't make people's reactions the arbiter of truth. We just need to be sure we speak the truth in love.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde View Post
I'm not sure what you have in mind. Certainly Jesus says at the end of the eon He would send His angels to gather the wicked together in bundles to be burned and to gather His chosen from the four winds, from one end of heaven to another into His barn. The identity of some people groupings are based on iniquity. This doesn't mean we no longer believe, "Christ died for the ungodly." For some group's their reason to exist is to do evil; like, to destroy faith in God, to propagate terrorism, to promote immoraliy. To shine the light on these things is not "bashing." It is loving kindness to point out the pit a friend is about to unknowingly fall into, even to grab him to prevent it from happening, whether it offends him or not. This culture is increasingly over feminized. No fizz! No teeth! "The words of the wise are goads to point the way to the tree of life."

What Jesus said so antagonized the religious authorities of His day they plotted how to kill Him for it and eventually, in collusion with corrupt politicians, succeeded. Should we assume He just brought it on Himself? That if He'd've shut up they'd've let Him alone. So, by this rationale, wasn't He responsible for His own death? We can't make people's reactions the arbiter of truth. We just need to be sure we speak the truth in love.

I get what you're saying, but I'm not really speaking about the people who "shine the light" on things that are ungodly and do so in a loving way. Many hold opinions that I would agree with 100% but do not try to get their point across in a way that seems loving, compassionate, or understanding.

The way that some christians on this forum speak should certainly not be compared to our Lord.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
It's a difficult fence to ride because if all we talk about is having love and compassion, most folks will think that we are therefore tolerant. If we speak of judgment, then most folks will consider us intolerant bigots with no love. I guess in this day and age, it's a hard thing to be able to be both and have folks understand that it is possible only through the grace of God.

That is a very good point. Tolerance is a huge issue facing the church of the 21st century. Those are discussions that we need to be having. One common issue is homosexuality in the church. It has to be clear that we believe it to be sin, but a homosexual individual should not feel that they have been shunned from the church without receiving any help from that church.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:40 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,047,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickc121 View Post
I get what you're saying, but I'm not really speaking about the people who "shine the light" on things that are ungodly and do so in a loving way. Many hold opinions that I would agree with 100% but do not try to get their point across in a way that seems loving, compassionate, or understanding.

The way that some christians on this forum speak should certainly not be compared to our Lord.
When Jesus was on earth He was a Servant. He washed feet....
He spent His time with sinners and publicans. His words reflected God's heart toward them.
When Jesus "corrected" someone, like the Pharisees, you can be sure that He had the mind of God and knew exactly who He was speaking to and what the consequences of His words would be.

Since none of us are equal to Jesus in that respect, it seems to me that we should all prayerfully consider our words.... and maybe not be so quick to speak.

Our words are powerful. No one knows how many people are going to read what we post on this forum.

Our words reflect who we are.

"....for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned."

Last edited by World Citizen; 10-19-2008 at 10:57 PM..

Old 10-19-2008, 11:28 PM

702 posts, read 1,006,622 times
Why shouldn't people that approve deeply deceiving and destructive lifestyles feel shunned by the Godly? It is important to their salvation to let them know they are rejected by God. To live unrepentantly as a proclaimed homosexual is definitely to not be entering the realm of God where He is the Ruler. Those who are entering in need to obey God and draw a line for their own group. Even if someone discovered in sinful acts happened to be also repentant, struggling to overcome his sin, was wrongly banned from a church, God is still there to work with him and lead him to another gathering.

There are several reasons The Gay Agenda is so important to Christians. One not well known to them is that gays are more hospitable in service to their "love" than most people calling themselves "Christian" are for their love; so, guess to whom God gives the upper hand? Most important however, is that it is the watershed issue for the freedom of the Church. They are enacting laws that define Stalinesque "thought crimes," making it illegal to express the Scriptural revelation about the matter, potentially even criminalizing living life according to Scripture and the Church's historic position. Meanwhile the gays are marching in the streets, teaching in the churches and co-opting public school textbooks. This is pointedly important for those who have children and want to keep them while raising them as Christians.

Quoting the US Constitution from a faulty memory...that, "Congress shall make no law regarding the establishment of religion nor prohibit the free exercise thereof..." (and no other branch of government is to be making laws!) seems to be disregarded by a number of the states when it comes to homosexuality. Perhaps it has come to this in part because we've been over accomadating.

Last edited by JamesMRohde; 10-19-2008 at 11:42 PM..

Old 10-20-2008, 04:33 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Quote:
Christians: Please think about the things that you say while you are on this forum. Talking about judgment all of the time, insulting others, and bashing different people groups DOES NOT make people look favorably upon christianity. There is definitive truth and it is ok to stick up for that, but we need to keep in mind the way that others are seeing our faith. I have certainly been guilty of getting carried away and offending others. Just something to think about.
I agree , we should be very careful what we say and the image we project to others by not choosing our words very carefully..There are readers only of these forums, some who are not members who may be searching for God..In my experience, I think overzealousness causes much argueing and, judgements are ften handed out freely that are not ours to give..

I probably delete as many posts as I leave up, for fear I may offend, or cause someone to stumble in their faith..I am afraid that I may have offended some of my old friends here , and I sincerely apologize for that, because I really care about all of you..

Old 10-20-2008, 06:37 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,569,673 times
Quote:
Jesus came with the most perfect message of love and compassion and look what happened to him.

Even Jesus ruffled some feathers when He was here on earth, so how pray tell can we do different other than the same manner he did it?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-20-2008 at 06:46 AM..

Old 10-20-2008, 07:51 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,047,952 times
Default Knowledge puffeth up, charity edifieth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I agree , we should be very careful what we say and the image we project to others by not choosing our words very carefully..There are readers only of these forums, some who are not members who may be searching for God..In my experience, I think overzealousness causes much argueing and, judgements are ften handed out freely that are not ours to give..

I probably delete as many posts as I leave up, for fear I may offend, or cause someone to stumble in their faith..I am afraid that I may have offended some of my old friends here , and I sincerely apologize for that, because I really care about all of you..
God has really convicted me about my words.

The Law was a system of rules by which no one could be set free.
Jesus came to show God's love for us and to bring mankind a New Covenant by which they could know God's mercy and His forgiveness.

Empowered by the Holy Spirit, when Jesus Christ was on this earth He KNEW the hearts of every single person He was dealing with.

Like you said... I've deleted more than one post recently -- even after posting it -- because I considered the potential for harm.
The posts were not wrong or inaccurate. Just not necessary.

We are to be God's hands and His feet upon this earth. We are to pour in oil and bring hope. Our words should give people a reason to want to know our Lord.

Last edited by World Citizen; 10-20-2008 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.