Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 05:23 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,155,894 times

Advertisements

I just read an article about how the Pope condemned the love of power and money while on a trip to France. You can read the article here:

Pope condemns love of money, power - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/09/13/pope.france.ap/index.html - broken link)

Aside from becoming momentarily preoccupied with my own thoughts regarding how wealthy the Catholic Church is, there was a particular sentence in the article which seemed to jump out at me - and I must confess, I just don't understand something.

From the article:
Quote:
"Security officers surrounded the pope, and about a dozen sharpshooters watched over the crowd from the roof of a stately 19th century building overlooking the Esplanade."
I'm sorry, but this is something that has ALWAYS bothered me about the Pope. I can't help but wonder if the original apostles would have allowed themselves to be surrounded by an entourage of armed guards. Would Peter have advocated keeping a dozen armed friends around him to protect against being shot by an arrow? Did Paul take a personal armed group of men with him when he went preaching so that he would escape the persecutions and other dangers he endured? Indeed, did Jesus Himself advocate such a thing? At what point in the past did the leaders of the church decide to start accepting armed men to protect them, when Jesus Himself stated that those who live by the sword shall die by the sword?

Someone help me out. What am I not understanding? I'm not trying to sound anti-Catholic, because I've seriously considered a conversion to Catholicism. But I have a lot of trouble getting past this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 10:27 PM

4,443 posts, read 4,879,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
I just read an article about how the Pope condemned the love of power and money while on a trip to France. You can read the article here:

Pope condemns love of money, power - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/09/13/pope.france.ap/index.html - broken link)

Aside from becoming momentarily preoccupied with my own thoughts regarding how wealthy the Catholic Church is, there was a particular sentence in the article which seemed to jump out at me - and I must confess, I just don't understand something.

From the article:

I'm sorry, but this is something that has ALWAYS bothered me about the Pope. I can't help but wonder if the original apostles would have allowed themselves to be surrounded by an entourage of armed guards. Would Peter have advocated keeping a dozen armed friends around him to protect against being shot by an arrow? Did Paul take a personal armed group of men with him when he went preaching so that he would escape the persecutions and other dangers he endured? Indeed, did Jesus Himself advocate such a thing? At what point in the past did the leaders of the church decide to start accepting armed men to protect them, when Jesus Himself stated that those who live by the sword shall die by the sword?

Someone help me out. What am I not understanding? I'm not trying to sound anti-Catholic, because I've seriously considered a conversion to Catholicism. But I have a lot of trouble getting past this.
I would think those sharpshooters and most of the security is being supplied by the French government, they do not want to have any incident happening on French soil.
Although I am sure the pope has his own bodyguards as any public figure would have in this crazy world we live in, he would be crazy not to have them.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:20 AM

396 posts, read 839,587 times
I would suggest checking out the Vatican web site for the history of the Swiss Guard to understand the security around the Pope.
The Swiss Guard - History
You also have to realize that Vatican City IS the smallest country in the world with the Pope at the head. Understanding this, think to every other country in the world where the leader of that country visits another country. What is the security like? Hope that helps at least some.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:14 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,453,652 times
I think the Pope should have security as he is of "celebrity" status regardless that he is a religious figure.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:25 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,293,367 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post

From the article:

----------------
Now playing: Dennis Rouse - Doors: The Door of Blessing
via FoxyTunes

Think about this conversion long and hard, and maybe in the meantime
you will gain more insight from some of our CD brothers and sisters that are more skilled in this area , or more knowledgeable
besides I don't type that fast aquila
See you around
p.s. I used be a practicing catholic 33 years ago, before my conversion to
Non-denominational Christianity
God Bless You
Good to see you around

Old 09-14-2008, 08:31 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,293,367 times
You went there aquila
I wanted to say "aquila girl" (*_*)
\but I don't know your gender and don't want to offend you...
Thanks;
Hope you all like our pastor...CD
Dennis Rouse- The Door of Blessing
this has been a long series, and has helped me gain the spiritual fortitude that i needed for the trials that I have been facing and my daughter, this church is my daughter's church and she invited me to go there when I was in Atlanta, You can go directly to the churches website, to listen to the doors series
God Bless You

Old 09-15-2008, 08:22 PM

5,526 posts, read 7,370,237 times
Didn't Peter slice off an ear?

Old 09-15-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Didn't Peter slice off an ear?
He sliced off an ear of one of the guards, yes, and it was replaced or put back or however you want to say it, by Jesus.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:06 AM

810 posts, read 1,440,055 times
After he allowed others to bow down to him and kiss his ring and touch his robe... then the Pope rolled up to his Mansion and ate from the finest china and drank the finest wine from goblets lines with gold. He then bowed down to all of the statues and idols that decorate the Vatican.

Aside from the security guards, what about his message??? HE'S PREACHING ABOUT EXCESSIVE WEALTH???

Old 09-16-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
After he allowed others to bow down to him and kiss his ring and touch his robe... then the Pope rolled up to his Mansion and ate from the finest china and drank the finest wine from goblets lines with gold. He then bowed down to all of the statues and idols that decorate the Vatican.

Aside from the security guards, what about his message??? HE'S PREACHING ABOUT EXCESSIVE WEALTH???
Wow...someone's got the total WRONG idea about Catholics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity