Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 05:20 PM

537 posts, read 1,323,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
No, don't deny it - just knowing that He knows how it'll get done and I don't have to worry about it.

My opinion on prophecy is that God has a plan, and He's the one that will carry it out. A lot of bad comes from Christians disagreeing on the small things, and soon it turns into riffs that divide us.
Well I suggest you read about all of the riffs the early church fathers, theologians, etc. It was no different than it is today.

Dividing is sometimes necessary when people stray from the One Truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 06:11 PM

249 posts, read 610,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asthedeer View Post
You must have misunderstood me. I don't like labels but I guess I would be lumped with the partial preterists.

I said I believe this is talking about the first resurrection, which would have already happend since the context is those at that time.

I see no Biblical proof thus far for hyper preterism.

No ... I did understand you ... I was just quoting your post to make my own point. My apologies for the confusion.

I'm not certain I'm sold on the preterist point of view (partial or full), but I am at the point where it is obvious to me that it is the most biblically defensible position.

Futurism relies far to much on interpolation, speculation, and inductive reasoning whereas preterism can stand on it's own within biblical text without any external jockeying of information.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:35 PM

537 posts, read 1,323,301 times
FFA, gotcha, no problem

Old 09-18-2008, 06:52 AM

1,897 posts, read 3,494,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I agree.. we can see that this is talking about an event at the end of time, because it says "and so we shall ever be with the Lord".

This will be a very public event, not some secret whisking away of the saints. I believe that this (false) impression comes from these verses:
Matthew 24:37 But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.
43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.
44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.
As this is talking about "when the Son of Man cometh", and as He has not come yet, and as He will only come again one more time, we can say that these verse also refer to the end of the world and are symbolic of the great and final separation that will occur at that time between the saved and the lost.
Who are the "we," cg81? After verses 37-41, Jesus says to His disciples there with Him, "Watch therefore, for YOU do not know what hour your Lord is coming." Who was to watch, cg81? Notice verse 44--"Therefore YOU also be ready." Whom was he addressing here? He was addressing His disciples right there with Him.

Again, what end of the world? There is a huge difference between the end time and the time of the end.

Who is first of all being addressed in the verse "and so WE shall ever be with the Lord." The words of the NT epistles are written to real flesh-and-blood saints of that day. We must first take the time to understand what the words of the letters meant to them before we attempt to make applications to ourselves.

Preterist

Old 09-18-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
There's no "when" and no "what" yet! But you just wait and see!! Just hope you recognize it and don't believe the hype.
I appreciate your OPINION, Betsey Lane, but I was seeking to encourage BIBLE STUDY in this thread. Do you have some sound biblical support for your OPINION?

Preterist

Old 09-18-2008, 08:49 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,275,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
We must first take the time to understand what the words of the letters meant to them before we attempt to make applications to ourselves.Preterist
Preterist.. I wish you God's blessing and peaceful guidance in your search for truth!

Old 09-18-2008, 12:42 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,444,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
I appreciate your OPINION, Betsey Lane, but I was seeking to encourage BIBLE STUDY in this thread. Do you have some sound biblical support for your OPINION?

Preterist
I appreciate you appreciating my OPINION, preterist, but can I SUGGEST if you would like to encourage people to engage in BIBLE STUDY with you, would'nt it be fair to WARN others that you are coming to them from a PRETERIST stand point? At least that way they can prepare/cover themselves before engaging in a conversation with YOU?

Old 09-18-2008, 02:27 PM

249 posts, read 610,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
I appreciate you appreciating my OPINION, preterist, but can I SUGGEST if you would like to encourage people to engage in BIBLE STUDY with you, would'nt it be fair to WARN others that you are coming to them from a PRETERIST stand point? At least that way they can prepare/cover themselves before engaging in a conversation with YOU?

You weren't able to figure that out just from his screen name?

Old 09-18-2008, 02:46 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,188,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighting for air View Post
you weren't able to figure that out just from his screen name?
:-)

Old 09-18-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Preterist.. I wish you God's blessing and peaceful guidance in your search for truth!
Thank you, cg81. I wish the same for you as well!

Preterist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity